Form Critique

Some footage from my last session

The angle does suck, depth is iffy if not high cause 'm not pushing my knees out enough.

If it helps meet footage

Hey man, great job, that was a hell of a squat workout.

Also, thanks for including the meet vids, that helped a lot.

What I like:

Your whole workout - that’s a squat workout

walk out - strong and controlled

knees forward- this is good, and keeps you nice and upright as well as loads the quads

shoes - I love those shoes, I have addidas too, but with less hell

Stance - you’ve got a wide stance, but your legs are so long it works

What I feel you can improve on:

execution - you seem to pause some of your reps, and when you go fast you lose control. I’d just work on smooth down, rebound, smooth and hard up

foot placement- the wide is good for you cause of your crazy long legs, but if you are having depth problems, bring them in a bit and it should help. Not too much or you’re going to get bentover.

Tight hips - your hips are definitely tight, you seem to just stop right at parallel. Try this warm up and do the whole thing daily upper body and lower body days:

Pause squats- be careul with those, they’re tough on the hips, and I’d rather see you front squat than pause in the hole right now, it just reinforces a bad habit and the front squats will increase flexibility especially in the ankles. Do them shoulder width and take them all the way down. 5x5 is fine, but triples are more ideal as it gets hard to hold onto the bar.

Also, where do you miss? always include your misses in your videos, that tells a ton.

If you missed 3/4 up, I’d recommend some quarter squats for 4x4 with 100%-120%

If you missed in the hole or a bit above, get your front squat up to 75-80% of your back squat, it won’t be easy for you, but it’ll be worth it.

That’s about it man, there really wasn’t much to critique, you’ve got some great squats.

Let me know if you have any questions

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
Hey man, great job, that was a hell of a squat workout.

Also, thanks for including the meet vids, that helped a lot.

What I like:

Your whole workout - that’s a squat workout

walk out - strong and controlled

knees forward- this is good, and keeps you nice and upright as well as loads the quads

shoes - I love those shoes, I have addidas too, but with less hell

Stance - you’ve got a wide stance, but your legs are so long it works

What I feel you can improve on:

execution - you seem to pause some of your reps, and when you go fast you lose control. I’d just work on smooth down, rebound, smooth and hard up

foot placement- the wide is good for you cause of your crazy long legs, but if you are having depth problems, bring them in a bit and it should help. Not too much or you’re going to get bentover.

Tight hips - your hips are definitely tight, you seem to just stop right at parallel. Try this warm up and do the whole thing daily upper body and lower body days:

Pause squats- be careul with those, they’re tough on the hips, and I’d rather see you front squat than pause in the hole right now, it just reinforces a bad habit and the front squats will increase flexibility especially in the ankles. Do them shoulder width and take them all the way down. 5x5 is fine, but triples are more ideal as it gets hard to hold onto the bar.

Also, where do you miss? always include your misses in your videos, that tells a ton.

If you missed 3/4 up, I’d recommend some quarter squats for 4x4 with 100%-120%

If you missed in the hole or a bit above, get your front squat up to 75-80% of your back squat, it won’t be easy for you, but it’ll be worth it.

That’s about it man, there really wasn’t much to critique, you’ve got some great squats.

Let me know if you have any questions[/quote]

I haven’t missed a weight in atleast 8 months, since the way I was training before was sheiko based/prelipin table based. My upper back likes to lose tightness cause my upper back sucks. Also I did front squats after those sets but my camera died (it’s old, actually uses a VHS)

sorry dude, I thought because there was only 2 squat attempts and the 2nd still looked fairly easy maybe you had a 3rd and missed.

Good to hear about the front squats

Training From Tonight

Hey I just noticed that your deadlifts attempts were exactly the same i did in my last comp. Your squat and bench are stronger than mine tho. Good work.

You seem to do some sort of a pause on the bottom of your squats in training, i’d try to get rid of that as i don’t see it doing any good. Do box squats if you feel like it as a different exercise, but pausing free squats doens’t feel right to me.

My coincident deads:

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[/quote]
I’m curious about this comment. I’ve seen you compliment people on knees forward in several different threads. I was taught the opposite for powerlifting squats: That you don’t want your knees to travel far forward but you should be sitting back instead. Obviously the sitting back cue works best for wide-stance squatters, which I am (or was).

For the record, I don’t think Ryan’s knees travel forward much.

[quote]Ryan Pelletier wrote:

Training From Tonight[/quote]

Hey man, kick ass training session, I really like your form and I really like how you train, you’re very much on the right track.

As far as your deadlift, I wouldn’t change much at all, you’ve got nice long legs and that makes for a good puller.

Your back could become a minor issue, it’s not arched, but it doesn’t have to be. What I’d recommend is to focus on keeping a neutral spine, which you already seem to be doing, although your camera angle is tough, next session if you could get some vids from the side it would be a big help.

What I’d recommend is some pulls to the knee, at 80% for 5 triples, and really focus on keeping a static back and grinding it off the floor. I really think these would be great for you, and once you learn how to set yourself up for the 2nd half of the lift, deadlifting is a lot less draining mentally… I find anyways.

I like your head position when you pull though, I can’t look down like that, but I think it’s good all the same.

Nick workout, keep the vids coming dude, I’ll look at every one of them if you keep posting them.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[/quote]
I’m curious about this comment. I’ve seen you compliment people on knees forward in several different threads. I was taught the opposite for powerlifting squats: That you don’t want your knees to travel far forward but you should be sitting back instead. Obviously the sitting back cue works best for wide-stance squatters, which I am (or was).

For the record, I don’t think Ryan’s knees travel forward much.[/quote]

The way I look at it there are two kinds of squats american and European. American squatters sit back first and try to have a perpendicular shin angle while Europeans just open their knees up and sit straight down. Any kind of raw squatters and most single play squatters are going to have forward knee travel to some extent just because they don’t have as much support from their gear.

[quote]FotoStorm wrote:
Hey I just noticed that your deadlifts attempts were exactly the same i did in my last comp. Your squat and bench are stronger than mine tho. Good work.

You seem to do some sort of a pause on the bottom of your squats in training, i’d try to get rid of that as i don’t see it doing any good. Do box squats if you feel like it as a different exercise, but pausing free squats doens’t feel right to me.

My coincident deads:

Well thats 225 killos just so you know. Cause 5 plates is 495 which is 225 kilos. 220 is 484.5. I just do what I’m told to do in training by Brandon Lily, I’m pretty much a puppet for the next 6 weeks. I’m looking forward to getting back to prelipin table based training since on of my training partners will be back from his trip

Hey man, I love your attitude, and Brandon Lilly is really making waves with his cube method right now. I haven’t looked into it, but I might after watching you train.

The best powerlifter I know is famous for just doing whatever his coach did in training, and he recently qwnt 700/500/800 raw at 242 and 22 years old.

Post your bench if you get the chance, the meet video was tough to see

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
Hey man, I love your attitude, and Brandon Lilly is really making waves with his cube method right now. I haven’t looked into it, but I might after watching you train.

The best powerlifter I know is famous for just doing whatever his coach did in training, and he recently qwnt 700/500/800 raw at 242 and 22 years old.

Post your bench if you get the chance, the meet video was tough to see[/quote]

you’re gonna love it no leg drive, no arch, and no tightness

Are you deadlifting in your squat shoes? If so, you may consider taking them off or getting some thin, flat soled shoes. It’s a little thing, but hey, I take pounds wherever I can!

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

Post your bench if you get the chance, the meet video was tough to see[/quote]

you’re gonna love it no leg drive, no arch, and no tightness[/quote]

It’s all about getting better man, no judgements… I’ve had a lot of people help me along the way, and it’s a pleasure to help out where I can.

You’re a good lifter, on your way to being a great lifter, you’ll look back on this in a few years and laugh.

I love hearing about good lifters with issues to fix up, that’s just easy pounds on the total man, fixing form is way easier than getting stronger, and generally puts more on the total than simply getting strong as well.

Look forward to seeing your bench

[quote]csulli wrote:
Are you deadlifting in your squat shoes? If so, you may consider taking them off or getting some thin, flat soled shoes. It’s a little thing, but hey, I take pounds wherever I can![/quote]

I feel like I can’t get into a proper position in a flat shoe. Even in a flat shoe I still pull it like it’s a clean

[quote]csulli wrote:
Are you deadlifting in your squat shoes? If so, you may consider taking them off or getting some thin, flat soled shoes. It’s a little thing, but hey, I take pounds wherever I can![/quote]

I feel like I can’t get into a proper position in a flat shoe. Even in a flat shoe I still pull it like it’s a clean
[/quote]

Man, this is more good news, as a weightlifting shoe makes a deadlift much more difficult especially at the lockout.

It’s ok to pull it like a clean within reason.

The heel makes for a very difficult lockout.

I would highly advise you to attempt to use a flat shoe, if you can get the hang of it, it will really help.

[quote]Larry10 wrote:
Hey man, I love your attitude, and Brandon Lilly is really making waves with his cube method right now. I haven’t looked into it, but I might after watching you train.[/quote]

For me personally it’s not my style of training. The longer I’m on the cube the more beat up I feel cause I can’t control the volume day to day and I also feel my bench and squat is weaker than when I started. But I’m also only training my legs two days a week instead of 4-8. I prefer training based off of prelipins table it’s my preference, If I can ever find a coach that does his training off of it, I’d jump on it without question

[quote]Larry10 wrote:

[quote]csulli wrote:

[/quote]

Man, this is more good news, as a weightlifting shoe makes a deadlift much more difficult especially at the lockout.

It’s ok to pull it like a clean within reason.

The heel makes for a very difficult lockout.

I would highly advise you to attempt to use a flat shoe, if you can get the hang of it, it will really help.[/quote]

UHggg, so you mean if I front squat and deadlift on the same day I have to bring two pairs of shoes and change halfway through my workout? WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASSHOLE.

OR

What is more important, front squatting in oly shoes, or deadlifting in chucks? HMM?

[quote]Spock81 wrote:
UHggg, so you mean if I front squat and deadlift on the same day I have to bring two pairs of shoes and change halfway through my workout? WHAT A PAIN IN THE ASSHOLE.

OR

What is more important, front squatting in oly shoes, or deadlifting in chucks? HMM?[/quote]

I sometimes have 3 pairs of shoes at the gym at one time lol. IMO deadlifting with flat shoes is more important than what you wear squatting. Could just be because I love deadlifts and hate squats though. Also you could wear your oly shoes for FS and just deadlift in yer socks.