T Nation

Form Checks: Bench, Squat, Dead

I can only videotape from head on / slight angle in my basement, so sorry for the angles. I’m new to powerlifting, about 4-6 months in of training, and I bounced programs during that time from a beginner program to 5/3/1 to just a regular linear 5x5 program, which I modified just slightly to get used to heavy weights.

Bench:

Although you cant’ really tell, my rear stays on the bench, head doesn’t move either. I have been trying to remember to do more paused style benching to simulate a meet and them barking commands, but I also forget most the time.

Squat:

I’m close on depth. I have a thread started already on depth, it’s real close but hard to tell from the angle. I’ve been trying to work on more staying tight to avoid the leaning forward / good morning squat combo type lift.

Here’s are couple dead videos:

I had to take about 3 months off of dead training due to lower back injuries (which is a repeater of mine, was injured for about 10 years before getting fixed). My deadlift is so odd to me recently. I pulled 465 in October, but now can barely muster 435. I dunno if its from my injury, or if I pulled 465 with bad form, and now I use good form, or what.

One thing I’d like to question is on my deads, my first lift is always much harder than my 2nd lift if I’m doing reps. I don’t think I bounce the bar at all, so let me know if I am bouncing.

If I’m not, please shed some light as to why it is that much more difficult. I think it will prevent me from getting better deadlift results.

Here are some deadlift videos from a side angle. Let me know what you think

This last one took me forever to get comfortable, and is pushing my max weight.

[quote]dzirkelb wrote:
One thing I’d like to question is on my deads, my first lift is always much harder than my 2nd lift if I’m doing reps. I don’t think I bounce the bar at all, so let me know if I am bouncing.

If I’m not, please shed some light as to why it is that much more difficult. I think it will prevent me from getting better deadlift results.[/quote]

On the second rep of a "dead"lift the muscles stretch on the way down, like rubber bands, giving you an advantage, making the weight feel lighter. To do true deadlifts, you have to reset in each rep, so you are pulling with no stored energy in your muscles.

If you’re weak off of the floor, reset before each rep, so you can train that portion, if you’re weak in the lockout you can probably keep doing your reps like that.

Thanks for that info. I always made sure to not bounce the weight, but never considered resetting on each one, that will help, thanks.