T Nation

Form Check

[quote]tedro wrote:

If you have a legitimate disagreement with me or have something to add, then by all means feel free to state your opinion. If you have a problem with me, my advice, Dave Tate, T-Nation, advice on T-Nation, EliteFTS, the internet, powerlifting advice given on the internet, sitting back in the squat, assuming (falsely) when somebody says “widen your stance” they mean as far as you can physically go, or are just trying to be a dick, start another thread about it, or just PM me and flame away. The muddying up of others threads just to proclaim your assumed eliticist status is getting old quickly.
[/quote]

Wow.

So busting your balls is also collectively busting up on, what is it, 9 seperate entities (if I count you and your advice seperately.)? Fuck. I had no idea.

I’m gonna have to sleep on this one because I am not sure have the horsepower to take on such an oracle. I’ll have to get back to you on that one. That’s a pretty big proposition and…well I just, I don’t know. I’m not sure I can pull it off.

How about this. Why don’t you post something other than the same old rehashed, “I read a few articles and now have it all figured out,” crap and you’ll never hear from me again?

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I still find it quite amusing.

I also enjoy the way you freely admit you’re giving Dave Tate’s, T-Nation’s and EliteFTS’s advice out to people. I’m sure they’re very capable of giving it out themselves and I’m not so sure they’d like you speaking for them.
[/quote]

When did I freely admit that? You’re not very sharp, are you? Yes, the advice coincides with what you would read in many of their articles, but self-diagnosis isn’t always the easiest thing to do. If you read enough of what is on this site and a few others, you will come across just about everything that can be said about the squat. Even so, this does not mean I am speaking for them, although I do freely admit to gaining knowledge from said articles.

[quote]
Maybe if you were to give your own advice based on what you’ve done to help people in real life, instead of referencing second hand information, it would be better received. [/quote]

I’m yet to figure out how you came to such a conclusion, mind explaining? It also seems as the two of you are the only ones complaining.

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
Wow.

So busting your balls is also collectively busting up on, what is it, 9 seperate entities (if I count you and your advice seperately.)? Fuck. I had no idea.
[/quote]

Based on your other replies, it would seem as if you have some sort of problem with all 9.

Tell me how you came to such a conclusion, and I’ll be glad to tell you what I have and have not figured out. I don’t mind your sophomoric attempts at “busting my balls”, but it is rude to the other posters looking gor genuine help.

Again, if you have a problem with my critique, point out your disagreements, state why you disagree, and give the OP something helpful to think about. Your claims that nobody else knows what they are talking about because they don’t claim the experience that you may or may not have help no one.

[quote]tedro wrote:

If you have a legitimate disagreement with me or have something to add, then by all means feel free to state your opinion. If you have a problem with me, my advice, Dave Tate, T-Nation, advice on T-Nation, EliteFTS, the internet, powerlifting advice given on the internet, sitting back in the squat, assuming (falsely) when somebody says “widen your stance” they mean as far as you can physically go, or are just trying to be a dick, start another thread about it, or just PM me and flame away. The muddying up of others threads just to proclaim your assumed eliticist status is getting old quickly.
[/quote]

If one of your close friends or a family member just died, I’m terribly sorry for your loss.
Otherwise, where the hell did that come from???

[quote]evansmi wrote:
tedro wrote:

If one of your close friends or a family member just died, I’m terribly sorry for your loss.
Otherwise, where the hell did that come from???[/quote]

Sorry, but apw has been on my case for three threads now. He didn’t really care to hear my answers to the questions he asked, he is only attempting to show that I don’t know anything about lifting.

[quote]tedro wrote:
Hanley wrote:
I still find it quite amusing.

I also enjoy the way you freely admit you’re giving Dave Tate’s, T-Nation’s and EliteFTS’s advice out to people. I’m sure they’re very capable of giving it out themselves and I’m not so sure they’d like you speaking for them.

When did I freely admit that? You’re not very sharp, are you? Yes, the advice coincides with what you would read in many of their articles, but self-diagnosis isn’t always the easiest thing to do. If you read enough of what is on this site and a few others, you will come across just about everything that can be said about the squat. Even so, this does not mean I am speaking for them, although I do freely admit to gaining knowledge from said articles.

Maybe if you were to give your own advice based on what you’ve done to help people in real life, instead of referencing second hand information, it would be better received.

I’m yet to figure out how you came to such a conclusion, mind explaining? It also seems as the two of you are the only ones complaining.
[/quote]

Your posts are getting tiresome at this stage. You liken your advice to that of Dave Tate, EliteFTS, T-Nation etc etc…

Constantly telling every person looking for squat advice to “sit back” is bad enough, but it becomes downright ridiculous when the person is already having problems with forward lean. Sitting back more means the hips go back further and this creates the need to lean forward even more so you don’t go arse over tit. How you don’t comprehend this is beyond me.

If it’s all about breaking at the hips then why do some of the highest raw squats in the world belong to oly lifters?

Maybe you should just take the plunge and post a video of yourself squatting, and whenever someone posts their’s you can just link and say “be more like me”.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
Your posts are getting tiresome at this stage. You liken your advice to that of Dave Tate, EliteFTS, T-Nation etc etc…
[/quote]
Actually, I think you were the one that first likened my posts to others’ articles, although it may have been apw. I just went along with it.

I don’t think three threads constitutes constantly. What’s more is that it was really secondary advice in this thread, his biggest problem is the stance. The sitting back may take care of itself after fixing his stance. I would be interested in seeing another video after he gets used to a different stance.

I explained the relationship between coming forward and sitting back in ruggers thread. He wasn’t falling forward on the decent, and neither were you. The OP here has different problems.

Not sitting back is also a very common problem, especially in beginners.

Numbers mostly, but I’m sure there are some abnomalies. There are a lot more people worldwide involved in oly lifting than in raw powerlifting, some of them are even pretty good, and strong, athletes.

[quote]
Maybe you should just take the plunge and post a video of yourself squatting, and whenever someone posts their’s you can just link and say “be more like me”.[/quote]

I never said my squat was perfect, but I do know the shortcomings of my form. If you are interested you can probably find some videos of me without searching too hard, but keep in mind they are out of date.

To make what is shaping up to be a very long thread short; get a box, bring the stance in, less weight.

[quote]Hanley wrote:
I don’t know if I’m the only person in the world who finds it easier to keep more upright with a closer stance than a wide stance?

[/quote]

It’s not even close for me, best thing I ever did for my squat was pulling my stance in. That made all the difference between coming forward out of the hole with multiple coordination issues, and a smooth ascent. I actually went up 50 pounds just from this adjustment + fixing up my bar placement! But I don’t do box squats or anything.

i’m certainly not discrediting anybody who has given me help-thank you all! (i definitely respect hanley’s opinion, but, at the same time, things CAN be taken from westside, dave tate, etc.)… that said… i’d really appreciate if anybody HAD the dave tate article on leaning forward (or if not, as the previously link didn’t work… even just a synopsis of it)

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/falling_forward.htm

That should work.

[quote]btlifter wrote:
i’m certainly not discrediting anybody who has given me help-thank you all! (i definitely respect hanley’s opinion, but, at the same time, things CAN be taken from westside, dave tate, etc.)… that said… i’d really appreciate if anybody HAD the dave tate article on leaning forward (or if not, as the previously link didn’t work… even just a synopsis of it) [/quote]

I am secure in stating neither Hanley nor myself are asserting there are not take aways from Westside. Hell, I grew up on Louie’s articles in PLUSA long before any of this (20 years ago) and have trained conjugated extensively in the past before bands were even thought about.

Not to speak for Hanley, but I am just taking issue with the cookie cutter/parroting approach to giving advice I am seeing.

To the OP, I dont think sitting back or breaking at the hips is a problem for you. To me it looks like most people who are not comfortable with full squat, who try to go lower by lowering their upper body instead of sitting down. Reminds me of max squatting in high school. Its like your doing a squat, and then a goodmorning. The extra movement of the good morning isn’t helping you get any lower.

I would definately lighten the weight, and try some box squats. This will give you a feel for getting your butt down. Also, front squats, and zercher squats may be some good tools to work out the kinks in your form.