T Nation

Form Check

so, i realise the video is horrible, and... i think the flaws in my squat are very evident, nonetheless, i'll reserve judgement, so as to not "lead" anybody (though, i'm sure the main problem is evident)... any other problems, or ways to fix the glaring problem (i see)...would be awesome

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=JS4O9zVqTeE

note* the 3rd rep didn't fit on the camera, as it only has a limited time to record, but, i'm sure it was much like he others, also... this is 315x3... i only mention that because i can squat around 400 lbs (i'm not entirely sure how much exactly, i'll find out soon though).. so.. it's not too much weight (i don't think), anyway, cheers

Having not watch the video, you need to widen your stance and sit back into the hole more.

Having watched the video, I think you need to bring your stance in and get the bar up a bit higher on your back. Before you even start the reps your chest is caved and you’re leaning forwards, it only gets worse as you go on.

Also, you’re soft as hell going into the hole.

It looks like you’ve a pretty strong back, but your legs definately need to get stronger.

Use the search function to search for SquatRx videos. Most notably your gming out of the hole. Quite frankly , this might be due to inflexibility , weak hammies , or just using waayyyy to much weight.

Dorsi flexion issue bro
You’re going foward way to munch.
Can you a do a full squat?

Hanley, that first reply is priceless. You are going to start the new “all about the quads” and “narrow your stance fad”

FYI OP, Hanleys advice is good. Plus take some weight off the bar, get stronger, specifically work your abs. That should stiffen you up a bit. Likely if you can tighten your upper back some under the bar the rest will fall somewhat in line.

The quads seem to be COMPLETELY underestimated. Pendulum effect and all that.

I’m not even talking narrow stance, but shoulder width or there abouts should do fine. I don’t know if I’m the only person in the world who finds it easier to keep more upright with a closer stance than a wide stance?

And as redroast said, core work. It’s something you should be working hard already tho. So just make sure you are!

I think you would be less hunched over if you brought the bar up. I made the exact same mistake for a while. Its one thing reading about the low bar position, its another thing when someone actually shows you where to put it.

I didn’t really get it until someone actually ran a line across my back so i could feel where it should be. Suffice it to say, the bar is way too low, if you place it higher on your delts you’ll notice your posture immediately improve. at least I did.

One more thought…work front squats for a while. That ought to tighten up your core and get you more upright plus it will work the quads.

Once you can do a good front squat, you will smoke the back squats since you obviously have quite a bit o’ low back strength.

PS: Turn that belt around so that the buckle is in the rear…you may have more luck with it.

well… i lyk hanley’s first advize… all u otherz seem lyk week-az nOObs… read 1 fukin dave tate or louis simmons article… u all r stoopid bodybulders or sumin

no, but seriously… i am just starting to use a lower bar position after resting it high on my traps for ages… i immediately was able to use more weight… but, i will try raising it… do you suggest all the way as per olympic lifters… or just… a higher low-bar position?..

also… peoples opinion here on leg presses? for leg strength (specifically, i’ve been doing as-2-grass smith machine leg presses lying on the floor)… or do you think i should just hammer front-squats, and narrow-stance squats?..also, anybody have a link to the dave tate article about leaning too far forward? (i realise that it’s not the be all-end all… but… it may be beneficial)…

to answer about full squats… i have the hip flexibility, but, i lean too far forward doing them as well (though, not nearly as pronounced)… as for corwork; it’s all i ever worked out as a kid, then, since the basketball season was on the last couple of years, it has been neglected, but, i’m trying to hit abs, and obliques hard & heavy 2-3 times a week, so, hopefully that’ll help… not that it’s of utmost importance at this stage, as i won’t be competing for about another 4 years (once i’m done college, and bball)… but, depth does depth look okay (being 6’5, and all legs… it’s a concern of mine)

…footnote… i’ll be puting up a sumo deadlift, conventional deadlift, and (maybe) a bench video in the next few weeks… i’ve never lifted with somebody stronger (or even nearly) as strong as me (basketball players, and highschool kids… i’m not saying i’m strong… just… relative to the other people)… and, articles can only do so much, so, thanks again for the critique guys!

In addition to what others have said, try to control the eccentric a little more.

I think this is the link you were asking for.

Edit: This one should work
http://www.elitefts.com/documents/falling_forward.htm

alright, i will try to control it a little more as well, i appreciate trying to post the link, unfortunately it doesn’t work though

[quote]btlifter wrote:
no, but seriously… i am just starting to use a lower bar position after resting it high on my traps for ages… i immediately was able to use more weight… but, i will try raising it… do you suggest all the way as per olympic lifters… or just… a higher low-bar position?.. [/quote]

As in, where you have the bar is not the low bar position, it is lower than low bar. I’m not suggesting you go back to high bar, you don’t want it up on your traps like an olympic squat, but you want it resting across the top of your real delts. This can be hard to explain without physically touching your shoulder. just take a very critical comparison of your bar position compared with videos of lifters you know are squared away.

Maybe someone else can explain better
guys![/quote]

or send a picture of your back with your arms up as if holding an imaginary barbell, and I’ll draw the line for you.

Your stance is way to wide for your stature. And yes, you DO need to sit back into the hole more, you are initiating the movement with your knees and coming straight down with your butt.

It’s hard to tell where you are putting the bar because of the fuzzy video, but it does look like it’s probably too low. I can’t tell on your hand position either, but based on everything else I am guessing you would benefit by bringing them in closer, if shoulder and elbow flexibility allow.

One other thing that hasn’t been pointed out is that your knees are caving in on the way back up. There could be three things causing this. Your stance is so wide that your abductors are out of their most powerful range, you are simply forgetting to force your knees out, or your abductors are weak.

One more thing, if you have access to a safety squat bar, start using it. It will help reinforce proper technique to prevent you from coming forward.

[quote]tedro wrote:

One other thing that hasn’t been pointed out is that your knees are caving in on the way back up. There could be three things causing this. Your stance is so wide that your abductors are out of their most powerful range, you are simply forgetting to force your knees out, or your abductors are weak. [/quote]

Perhaps he needs to focus more on “spreading the floor?”

It may just be a matter of driving the traps harder when using a straight bar.

Not trying to speak for you or anything. What do you think?

[quote]apwsearch wrote:
tedro wrote:

One other thing that hasn’t been pointed out is that your knees are caving in on the way back up. There could be three things causing this. Your stance is so wide that your abductors are out of their most powerful range, you are simply forgetting to force your knees out, or your abductors are weak.

Perhaps he needs to focus more on “spreading the floor?”
[/quote]

That was what my second reason was for his knees caving in, albeit in different terms. However, based on all the other problems he is having, I’m sure there is a lot more to it than just focusing.

[quote]
One more thing, if you have access to a safety squat bar, start using it. It will help reinforce proper technique to prevent you from coming forward.

It may just be a matter of driving the traps harder when using a straight bar.

Not trying to speak for you or anything. What do you think?[/quote]

No, he is falling forward before he even hits the bottom of the squat. This is not caused by a lack of driving with the traps, he has bigger problems than this. Honestly, he should probably find somebody to give him some pointers in person, lower the weight, and relearn technique as he needs a lot of work.

If you have a legitimate disagreement with me or have something to add, then by all means feel free to state your opinion. If you have a problem with me, my advice, Dave Tate, T-Nation, advice on T-Nation, EliteFTS, the internet, powerlifting advice given on the internet, sitting back in the squat, assuming (falsely) when somebody says “widen your stance” they mean as far as you can physically go, or are just trying to be a dick, start another thread about it, or just PM me and flame away. The muddying up of others threads just to proclaim your assumed eliticist status is getting old quickly.

[quote]tedro wrote:

If you have a legitimate disagreement with me or have something to add, then by all means feel free to state your opinion. If you have a problem with me, my advice, Dave Tate, T-Nation, advice on T-Nation, EliteFTS, the internet, powerlifting advice given on the internet, sitting back in the squat, assuming (falsely) when somebody says “widen your stance” they mean as far as you can physically go, or are just trying to be a dick, start another thread about it, or just PM me and flame away. The muddying up of others threads just to proclaim your assumed eliticist status is getting old quickly.
[/quote]

I still find it quite amusing.

I also enjoy the way you freely admit you’re giving Dave Tate’s, T-Nation’s and EliteFTS’s advice out to people. I’m sure they’re very capable of giving it out themselves and I’m not so sure they’d like you speaking for them.

Maybe if you were to give your own advice based on what you’ve done to help people in real life, instead of referencing second hand information, it would be better received.