T Nation

Form Check: Squat, Bench, Row

Hello and merry christmas!

A couple of weeks ago I started having a really sharp pain in my shoulder/arm. This has compromised my workouts alot and I haven’t been able to increase the weights. I’ve located the issue to my Infraspinatus muscle in my back. The page where I read about the Infraspinatus described ‘trigger points’ commonly in the shoulder, down the bicep and sometimes the neck. I had a look at my back yesterday and indeed the left side looks swollen, or at least bigger than the right side. I’m going to visit a massage therapist as soon as they’re open again and hopefully I will be able to get rid of this problem. I’m thinking there is a lot of knots in there.

Anyway I’ve filmed my workout and I’m going to upload it below so you can review my form.

My shoulders begin to hurt when I squat, so I thought it was a major form issue. I tried widening the grip without success. I also uploaded a form check on my bench press and row here on this forum (see http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_beginner/form_check_bench_press_and_barbell_row )

Before I upload the video I’m going to mention the things I notice is a little off with my form.

Squats

1. During the first set of squat you can clearly see that my left arm is tighter and elbow more upward. I’m having shoulder pain on my left side, and the infraspinatus muscle is swollen on the left side aswell. I believe this problem will sort itself out once I’ve fixed my back at the massage therapist.

2. When I look at the video I find it hard to tell wheter I’m doing low bar or high bar squats, the bar seems to be in high-bar position. To me it looks like high-bar. i guess the angle makes it hard to tell, what do you think it looks like?

3. It also looks like I lean forward when on the top position on the squat. Do i?

Bench:

1. I notice the bar doesn’t travel in a straight line.

2. In my previous video ( see old thread ) I didn’t keep my upper back tight so I was unstable on the bench, and I had my elbows flared out, I’ve moved them closer to my body now.

Barbell row:

1. Here I was told to pinch my shoulderblades togheter at the top, It’s hard to tell in my video because the plate gets in the way.

Other than that I feel pretty confident in the barbell row.