[Form Check] Semi- Sumo

Conventional puller for 2 years here. Never specifically trained sumo before. Was trying out a semi sumo style because I was supposed to do speed reps after my main sets but the speed was not good enough as a speed rep. As a result tried this out. Weight was approximately 70% of 1RM. Could use some advices.
I have considerably long limbs. 170x3 sumo test - YouTube

It looks like you are trying to squat the weight up, knees are forward and not enough pressure on your heels.

What you’re doing is a wide stance conventional deadlift with a rounded lumbar spine. Watch the following youtube video: Ed Coan - how to sumo deadlift

After having done both over the years I have come to the following conclusion. If your conventional deadlift is comfortable and technique is correct, you’re probably suited to conventional deadlift. If you want to use sumo to work the adductors, fine. Use it as assistance work and slowly work the technique.

Was struggling to keep the hips out. Think that was slightly wider my squat stance.

Yea I gotta agree . I’m pretty comfortable on the conventional but I was experimenting and having fun. Keeps me motivated to continue lifting. My sumo attempts always look like wide stance conventional deadlifts no matter how hard I try to think of the cues. Didn’t notice the rounding though maybe it was a controlled one or fatigued. Never felt my back when pulling.

Seated band abduction or abductor machine (the bad girl thing) should help with that. Your stance doesn’t necessarily need to be wider than you squat stance, although in most cases it will be, the thing is that you won’t be able to break the floor with your knees forward once the weight gets heavy. You should have the weight evenly distributed throughout your foot, specifically the heel and knuckles of the big toe and little toe. Chris Duffin and JTS have videos talking about this, look it up if you don’t know what I’m talking about. By not applying pressure through your heels you can’t fully involve your glutes.

That’s interesting I never noticed the heel until you noticed it. I tend to feel my weight in between the heel and midfoot during my conventional don’t know if that’s wrong but it helps me generate more force. Maybe I’m not really made to sumo, can never get the proper back angle. Do you know of any lifter who converted over from competitively conventional to sumo?

Me, plenty of others too