T Nation

Form Check for Power Clean

205 lbs @ 165 BW PR and form check. I just recently got up to 185 and felt I had more in the tank but I just couldn't get under the bar with any extra weight added. Did some form changes and hit a 20 pound PR like it was nothing. Couldn't get anymore after this though. Any advice? Thanks

Drop your hips a little lower at the start, and don’t bend your arms so early. And shoot your elbows through, that was a really, really bad rack position.

[quote]nkklllll wrote:
Drop your hips a little lower at the start, and don’t bend your arms so early. And shoot your elbows through, that was a really, really bad rack position.[/quote]

Thanks, I seem to rack all of them like that so that’s something I’ll be working on.

Also, don’t crank your head up so much at the start. Look straight ahead instead of up.

Not a bad rep that mate. All I would say, is don’t try and accelerate straight off the floor. Practice the first pull, and getting into the hang position. You don’t need accelerate the bar significantly until the hang position. The purpose of the first pull is to ensure the bar is close, that your shoulders are directly over the bar, and that your hamstrings are stretched (that’s the key reason). When you start to accelerate the bar and move as fast as possible in the transition phase, you will fully activate the stretch shortening cycle (SSC).
If you practice the first pull and make sure you slow that small part of the movement down slightly and get into that stretched position, you’ll be surprised the force that the SSC will give you.
Don’t have to go too heavy when training the 1st pull in isolation, but make sure its enough to challenge you. You wanna be holding it at hang for at least 2-3 seconds before you have to drop it.

Hope everything goes well mate.

Do some front squat for that terrible rack. Dont pull with your arms