Form Check Deadlifts

lower the weight… your back is curving even with a belt…

Wearing a belt won’t neccesary prevent back curving as you prescribe. You also sound like I’m going to snap something if even a slight roundness occur. You can also snap something without even curving…

As I said in my previous comments the roundess of my back is in this angle a lot more pronounced as it is in reality. I checked my other videos from different angles and is always less than in my first video angle. So I will start to use the angle as in the second video since it’s more representative.

check the third rep. I end up rounding more as I try to add reps too. It is quite round on the third rep. I am also never use to care about rounding . As I get a little stronger , it gets more risky.

1 Like

Yeah I find it hard to replicate the same setup after my first rep since sitting into the deadlift position and bracing my core at the same time feels very unconfortable for me. So in general I do my reps fast cause of it. ( which is a bad habit! )

i saw your other videos and the form was better i agree it is with the angle of the tape.

You get lazy when you put the weight down on your final rep.

True haha. I should make use of that last rep also to perfect my form but i’ts just a bad habit of mine.

Pete Rubish respond to my email. He says it doesn’t look that bad and it’s more of upper back rounding.

Here is it from the angle I prefer. ( felt weak af today tho xD )

I did all the steps you guys and Pete told me. But I’ve a feeling that I put the bar a little bit to far from me. I looks more like a squat like deadlift in my opinion. Please respond!

1 Like

I thought it looked really good. Your back was way more solid like a rod or a baseball bat.

I can’t tell where the bar is over your foot. Usually, a good starting point is an inch or two away from your shin when standing up and you play around with from there.

Well, that’s my .02

it was more than 2 inch but thats because Pete Rubish told me to set the bar a little bit further away from my shins so my hips are lower. Gonna set the bar next time a little bit closer again since it looks to me my hips are to low now. Well tell me if i’m wrong tho its just my opinion.

And I see Jonnie Candito deadlifting with pretty high hips as well and for me my previous position was actually were I was strongest at which might be one of the reasons today why I felt so weak doing deads aside from my wrist injury which also played a roll. Gonna use the same weight next week again and set my hips a little bit higher preferable almost the same height as it was before. I’ll see how my technique is then. If its shit as it was before I’ll lower my hips I guess again.

I’m sure as hell am not going to argue against Pete Rubish. But just to show you that’s there’s a range of deadlifting styles I present to you Andy Bolton:

His deadlift is all but a RDL off the floor. There’s only the tiniest bit of knee extension in that pull.

Now keep in mind that he has relatively long arms by PL standards so that works for him. Most people will need to incorporate more knee extension that that. It’s a spectrum and it’s just a matter of finding that goldilock’s zone for yourself. That just takes time.

Yeah mate that’s why I will try to keep my similar style of deadlifting and see how my form is next week. And yeah Andy’s deadlift style looks a bit similar to mine haha.

Great video, thanks for that buddy! I’ve been feeling a bit off with my deadlift for a while and that nailed it for me with where I was setting up wrong! Hips too high leaving me with nomleg drive

Looks better but I start to fuck with the bar with my chins. The bar also need to be set even more closer to my chins. Which I already did and i’ts still not enough it seems. Still looks like a squat.

Looks pretty good to me. I would say just a couple of things on top of what everyone else has said. From my point of view you have a bit too much weight on your toes, meaning the weight is a little too far from your hips and therefore your lower back is compensating. Try and focus on putting a little more weight onto your heels before you initiate the pull.

Also, I would look to keep your head down slightly (in line with your back). Head position has a significant influence over the rest of your spine and nearly everyone I see round their lower back, also cranes their neck upwards.

Head in line, tight lats, bit more weight onto your heels.

Yeah I know I should try to take the slack out of the bar more in general but I try to do it in baby steps.

I also forgot about the put my head a little bit more down. I’m so used to look atleast 5m away from me.

But the thing is that it’s a topic that is discussed a lot on how you should place your head.

I’m trying to get some help on my deadlift also, slightly similar issue with my legs straightening a little earlier than I think they should. Any tips or suggestions would be great. Here is a clip of working on some form from the other day.

https://youtu.be/ahMNYh_VkLc

Hey my friend.

The thing is that there is no 100% deadlift style but most " beginners " should follow the text book rules because they don’t have the experience yet to make adjustments so it favors their biomechanics more. That’s what I actually learned from other lifters during my " problem " here on this forum.

I could tell you to drop your butt more a little bit so your hips start a little bit lower but it doesn’t mean it’s better. I would just make the starting point different and for some people that’s more an efficient way to start the lift = more power = bigger lift. But it doesn’t mean it is for you. If you have been lifting like this for a long time I wouldn’t change it unless it really start to become a SLDL but that’s not what it looks like to me.

There are people like you that deadlift with " high " hips and that’s not bad at all actually. Jonnie Candito does lift very similar as you do and some other lifters as well.

I’m going to repeat this again, it’s not a bad thing if you start a little bit higher with your hips. If you feel more better in that position then do so. Your form looks really solid also, especially at 2:29. That’s text book form lol. Don’t be so obsessed!

Yea I know everyone is built different and form will look different. I just let myself get too wrapped up in trying to perfect the lift, mostly due to injury prevention and secondly to be able to lift as much as possible. I appreciate the feedback and it eases my mind a bit, thank you.