Form Advice for Low Bar Squat, Forward Lean

Hey guys,
I need some advice for my squat. My problem is the amount of forward lean in my squat. I am 6’2", have long legs relative to my upper body and am squatting low bar. So given this factors I think it isn’t unusual to have forward lean. However what is bothering me is that I do not have the same amount of forward lean in eccentric and concentric movement of the squat.

My hips rise up early after coming up out of the hole (pretty much at or slightly above parallel I think [meaning the time my hips are rising not my squat depth]), then I adjust my back (trying to maintan stable position) and then finish the squat simultaneously with back and legs.

Experience has shown that this occurs even more in high rep sets (unfortunately I am talking about 5+ rep sets here). The weight isn’t making that much of a difference, meaning this happens with lighter weights and with heavy weights.

So to sum up: I use my lower back to much when squatting and I need tips that would help me to maintan a good position during the whole squat.

Thanks in advance and I hope you can understand my problem, it isn’t that easy to express it in english!

Post up a video.

I’m even taller and have the longest femurs ever haha. But Part of it could be form related so a video could help. But as far as muscular weakness goes it’s quads, don’t listen to the old Westside BS that it’s hamstrings and glutes, no just no. With our proportions quads are at a mechanical disadvantage so they aren’t going to be worked as much. For example, I’m a really strong deadlifter relative to my squat, so my hips shoot up, my body is trying to do the lift in the most efficient way possible, using the stronger parts (back) to finish the lift, almost goodmorninging the lift. What further confirmed my hypothesis is that in wraps I stay perfectly upright even lowbar and with weights above my raw max, since the wraps make up for weaker legs.

How to fix it? Well I’m currently in the process but push highbar squats, front squats and even machine hacksquats or leg presses to build quads up.

Less lower back work, and more hip and glute work.

Stretch calves, hip flexors and quads. With no weight, drop into a deep squat position. Use your elbows to push your knees outwards in the bottom postion. Keep your butt low, and your knees out.

Strengthen your hips. The best way I have found is to; Wear my lifting belt. Wrap a resistance band over the belt, then stick my feet through the loops of the band and shuffle around. Basically, you have to use the glutes and hips to resist the band, which is trying to fold you over. This will teach you to stay upright, and not lean over.

Do front squats for awhile. Having the bar in front of your body, and in a “higher” position will keep you more upright. As you front squat, look at your waist, or belt line, or zipper. Make sure upright. As long drop into the hole, continue to keep your hips under you and your belt line/zipper/waist line visible. This will keep your spine neutral, and stop you from going into over extension in the lower back.

After front squats, try some light Back Squats, with a pause, for low reps. Back squat, then pause in the bottom position. While down there, force your knees out, drive your head and shoulders back and pull your hips forward and underneath you. Focus on “feeling it” in your glutes and the outside of your thighs.

Do some lunges, one leg at a time.

Female Squat

Check out

Under point “2. Your Hips are Weak” There is a picture of a woman squatting. In the bottom position her knees are way “out,” showing good external hip rotation.

@ FatsFarmer
Nice tips! I currently do front squats but even with front squats I can’t maintain a really upright position. I might be able to post a video of my front squats. Regarding pause squats: I used these a lot in the last 2-3 months and find them very benefitial but they pretty much show the same problem I have with my regular back squat.

I always had problems feeling or activiley using my glutes. I am pretty back and quad dominant.

Another thing I maybe should have mentioned is that I can only use a pretty small amount of forward knee travel (result of a torn ligament). So some of the things you have suggested like bringing my hips underneath me in a pause squat might not be possible for me (will have to try though).

@TimCline
I usually train allone and have nothing to setup my phone as a camera. The only video I have of me squatting is of terrible quality and I don’t think it would help.

@Mtag666
Thanks for the advice, most of it sound relatable! As you stated that your quads are weaker than your posterior change: Do you feel them more after squats? I always feel my quads the most after squats (in a fatigued way) as a result I thought that I just squat quad dominant but you might be right aswell.

You were injured, and your body found a way to move around your injury. Think of it like a “limp.” Now your squat technique is off. Every time you squat, you’re practicing “wrong.” You’re making the problem worse.

You probably have to drop the weights for awhile. As light as it takes to do it right. Maybe so light that it’s embarrassing. Last month, I front squatted with 50% of body weight, and pause squatted with 25% of body weight. 65 pounds for work sets!

If you’ve had problems getting your glutes working, start NOW. Clam shells, bridges, lunges, walking with bands around your ankles, etc.

If your shins stay really vertical, you can drive your knees out, and squat down between your legs and use your glutes with no pressure on your back or knees. Or you can keep your knees together, stick your butt back and bend excessively at the waist. putting all the stress on your spine.

Start slow, start light. Stretch your hips and quads. Unlearn the good morning/squat hybrid movement you’ve been doing. Think of using the muscles on the outsides of your quads, not the muscles on the “top” or “front” of your thighs.

Are you wearing a belt when you squat? I"ve been wearing mine lately, and it helps keep me upright.

Maybe this will be useless because of the quality but here is a video of me squatting:

[quote]Koestrizer wrote:
Maybe this will be useless because of the quality but here is a video of me squatting: [/quote]

Didn’t work well… :smiley:

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
You were injured, and your body found a way to move around your injury. Think of it like a “limp.” Now your squat technique is off. Every time you squat, you’re practicing “wrong.” You’re making the problem worse.

You probably have to drop the weights for awhile. As light as it takes to do it right. Maybe so light that it’s embarrassing. Last month, I front squatted with 50% of body weight, and pause squatted with 25% of body weight. 65 pounds for work sets!

If you’ve had problems getting your glutes working, start NOW. Clam shells, bridges, lunges, walking with bands around your ankles, etc.

If your shins stay really vertical, you can drive your knees out, and squat down between your legs and use your glutes with no pressure on your back or knees. Or you can keep your knees together, stick your butt back and bend excessively at the waist. putting all the stress on your spine.

Start slow, start light. Stretch your hips and quads. Unlearn the good morning/squat hybrid movement you’ve been doing. Think of using the muscles on the outsides of your quads, not the muscles on the “top” or “front” of your thighs.[/quote]

Thanks, I appreciate the input. I wouldn’t say it is as worse as a hybrid between a squat and a good morning. Unfortunately I can’t even upload a video with shitty quality.

[quote]FlatsFarmer wrote:
Are you wearing a belt when you squat? I"ve been wearing mine lately, and it helps keep me upright.[/quote]

I do for my heavier working sets and it is helping

I have found that 2 things keep the squat from turning into a goodmorning. 1) Feet wider, and knees out; 2) Chest forward by flexing the UPPER back. 3) Hamstrings, particularly arched back goodmornings.

i suspect quad weakness
more front squats

also try only deadlifting after squatting for a while. you may be too hip dominant