Forget about Grain!

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I haven’t eaten grains in a year, and I poop like a champion. Enough said.[/quote]
+1

I’m well over 1 yr. grain free and have more energy than I could ever have imagined. My recovery rates exceed those in my 20’s @ 43

[quote]WillNJenn wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
Can’t you just tell if it’s working for you? When i have oatmeal with my 8 eggs for breakfast i feel pumped and ready to go…now if i eat whole grain toast (coming out to the same amount of carbs), not so much. I mean i don’t feel like shit but i don’t get that ‘boost’. Of course i could be missing something here (like the GI affecting this in someway) because i keep things simple and use what works without thought.

I’m still interested in the details though.[/quote]

To some degree yes, but allergy testing is the way to go. Charles Poliquin goes pretty in depth about that stuff at his seminars. (but remember he is probably part Canadian Inuit so his diet is radically different than virtually any other culture) Part of the reason the oatmeal and eggs makes you feel good and the toast makes you feel like … well toast :slight_smile: is your insulin response curve. Egg protein slows digestion/absorption which creates a more stable insulin response (think a flatter, longer sine wave). Even if the oatmeal/eggs caused your body to release more total insulin, since it doesn’t look like the first hill of a roller coaster your energy should be more stable.(sorry for the science stuff I have a BS in Nutrition & a BS in Exercise Science)

I hope you are cooking your eggs and not drinking them or eating them soft. Forget salmonella, the real problem is that your body will not absorb uncooked egg protein very well. Eggs and meat are opposites… cook eggs well (I add cheese to make it palatable) but don’t overcook/blacken meat. Blackened meat is about as good for you as burned wood. Kill the bacteria… yes! But ingesting burned remains of anything does not promote muscle building. Also egg yolks contain some bacteria fighting properties so they (stretching it here) may be reducing total bacterial load on your intestine. Plus the B vitamins and other micro nutrients may be elevating mental function slightly.
Food for thought :slight_smile:
[/quote]
Gotcha, thanks for the detailed explanation (i ate the 8 eggs with the toast, i might of worded that wrong). I also take chewable acidophilus, thought i would throw that out there.

Allergy testing sounds like a great thing to get done, will definitely look into this.

“Food allergy” testing doesn’t prove allergy, but only indicates existence of either intolerance or allergy.

Intolerance differs from allergy in that there’s no actual allergic response and intolerance is dose dependent.

In other words, just because presenting an enormous load (with the testing) yields a response does not mean that some far more modest load in the diet may not be completely fine.

I would take “food allergy” results as only being indicative that it could be worth trying omitting given foods to see if that helps. If there’s no apparent improvement, then I wouldn’t assume there is a real problem.

On a different subject, it’s an interesting thing that many have a cultural bias where they assume that all peoples, except our own, are inherently greatly wise: therefore whatever they do must have deep wisdom. Accordingly, while we would never argue that if potato chips weren’t good for us we wouldn’t we eat them, many find it highly persuasive that if other peoples don’t eat brown rice but rather white rice, this proves that white rice is more healthful.

Ah, maybe they might like the taste better?

Oh no, that would be us that acts that way. And only us. With enlightened views based on group identities, we know that those of other cultures act differently and according to what we ascribe to them :wink:

[quote]Bill Roberts wrote:
“Food allergy” testing doesn’t prove allergy, but only indicates existence of either intolerance or allergy.

Intolerance differs from allergy in that there’s no actual allergic response and intolerance is dose dependent.

In other words, just because presenting an enormous load (with the testing) yields a response does not mean that some far more modest load in the diet may not be completely fine.

I would take “food allergy” results as only being indicative that it could be worth trying omitting given foods to see if that helps. If there’s no apparent improvement, then I wouldn’t assume there is a real problem.

On a different subject, it’s an interesting thing that many have a cultural bias where they assume that all peoples, except our own, are inherently greatly wise: therefore whatever they do must have deep wisdom. Accordingly, while we would never argue that if potato chips weren’t good for us we wouldn’t we eat them, many find it highly persuasive that if other peoples don’t eat brown rice but rather white rice, this proves that white rice is more healthful.

Oh no, that would be us that acts that way. And only us. With our enlightened views based on the groups we assign people to, we know that those of other cultures act differently and according to what we ascribe to them ;)[/quote]
Yeah i understand on the huge loads (insert joke here) being used when getting food tested. I got tested for a whole bunch of foods when i was 12, i was allergic to things like cheese, mushrooms…2 years later i find out it wasn’t a problem at all I (i could of told the damn doctor that seeing as when i ate those things i was fine). Big wtf moment lol.

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
I haven’t eaten grains in a year, and I poop like a champion. Enough said.[/quote]

I’ll drink to that!

Oh no, that would be us that acts that way. And only us. With enlightened views based on group identities, we know that those of other cultures act differently and according to what we ascribe to them ;)[/quote]

I wouldn’t say that I completely agree with the author on all points, but I do think the bias is at least partly removed when you consider that while most cultures develop cultural food choices not only because the staple food stuff is needed to so suite their needs (which is often mass production), but that those food choices are also at least partly made for health purposes, similar to how fermented soy products were historically preferred whereas soy beans were simply fertilizer. People learn what is agreeable to their systems and health. I’m simply trying to point out that the argument can be used for or against (as you have pointed out) the preference of asians for white rice. And perhaps we only strive to grasp onto the group identities of others, because we are americans :wink:

[quote]Wlfdg wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:
+1

I’m well over 1 yr. grain free and have more energy than I could ever have imagined. My recovery rates exceed those in my 20’s @ 43[/quote]

I’m in my 20’s so all I can say is that my recovery is better then ever! I hope if continues well into my 40s.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I’ll drink to that![/quote]

Ewwwwwwwwww

" … but remember he is probably part Canadian Inuit … "

Looks like a straight up whiteboy to me.

I’ve never been tested, but I have noticed when I avoid wheat and whole-grain products I feel so much better, and my digestion isn’t something I’m aware of all damned day.

BulletproofTiger, I’m open to all viewpoints on this matter, however I am not convinced that most people are severely intolerant or allergic to lectins or the fact that other anti-nutrients found in grains (phytic acid, etc) significantly screw with one’s digestive system and cause very significant nutrient mal-absorption. I am also not convinced of the ALL or NOTHING mentality where no amount of grains are tolerable by humans (and wreak havoc on health). The evidence I’ve seen thus far has indicated to me that only a very small percentage of people have Celiac Disease while the rest of people have varying degrees of tolerance to gluten (and other lectins). In terms of anti-nutrients, from the evidence I’ve seen on them, they often only really cause small decreases in nutrient absorption. So in terms of those, where is the evidence that they significantly impair digestion?

I cut out all grains for quite some time and I felt a lot better. Now I’ve slowly started to eat them again in reasonable amounts (and preferably not dipped in sugar) and I haven’t noticed any ill effects. But when I added potatoes, in any form (boiled, baked, roasted mostly), I started getting all the gut problems and energy problems I used to have all the time. And I put on fat fast. So, no more potatoes and grains not too frequently seems to work for me. I think it’s important to experiment and know what will work for you individually. Potatoes are supposed to be the food of my people but they seem to wreak me. Go figure.

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

[quote]WestCoast7 wrote:

I’ll drink to that![/quote]

I think your progress photo is proof enough as well, same with my avatar photo (not trying to sound like a d-bag). If someone wants to complain or argue that you cannot gain or maintain a strong physique without grains, all they have to do is look at the pics.

It might not be for everyone, but people should at least give it a try for a couple months and see how their bodies respond.

If you never try it, how can you judge it?

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
*waits for stronghold[/quote]

Why? Because BPT acknowledges individual differences in what people can tolerate rather than a dogmatic THIS IS BAD FOR EVERYONE approach?

Because he acknowledges a dose dependency with these things rather than a dogmatic THIS IS BAD FOR EVERYONE IN ANY AMOUNT approach?

This thread is perfectly reasonable.

This guy did pretty crappy for himself, considering he ate a diet consisting of 50-60% carbs, with most of those carbs coming from bagels (GASP!), whole grain bread (GASP!), OATMEAL, processed dry cereal (I think I’m gonna pass out!), PASTA, potatoes, rice, and lentils!

[quote]Josh Rider wrote:
BulletproofTiger, I’m open to all viewpoints on this matter, however I am not convinced that most people are severely intolerant or allergic to lectins or the fact that other anti-nutrients found in grains (phytic acid, etc) significantly screw with one’s digestive system and cause very significant nutrient mal-absorption. I am also not convinced of the ALL or NOTHING mentality where no amount of grains are tolerable by humans (and wreak havoc on health). The evidence I’ve seen thus far has indicated to me that only a very small percentage of people have Celiac Disease while the rest of people have varying degrees of tolerance to gluten (and other lectins). In terms of anti-nutrients, from the evidence I’ve seen on them, they often only really cause small decreases in nutrient absorption. So in terms of those, where is the evidence that they significantly impair digestion?[/quote]

Well, if high grain consumption was so goddamn harmful to health, many elite athletes would have been dropping dead before they even got to an elite level and wouldn’t be setting world records. After all, it’s easy to perform at your best when your health is deteriorating and you’re constantly sick.

By the way, I’m sure those Kenyan distance runners, who consume a diet of 70% carbs, are getting all those carbs from veggies and fruits! :slight_smile: I’m sure they can afford to spend half their days chewing.

MIKE FRANCOIS–FAILT W/ TEH GRAINZ–UP 2 50% OF TEH DIET FROM PASTA AND RICE AND TATERZ!

Bricknyce your posts are becoming very puerile in nature. This thread has been keep within reason, nobody is hard lining, and nobody asked you to come here and spout off.

As with anything in life, there are always people who have accomplished things in different ways. I don’t see any reason for your juvenile actions. We all know where you stand, and that you have pretty much given in to pursuing “average” nutrition.

If your so worried about how time consuming pursuing an above average physique is, why don’t you save some minutes by not posting pointless material?

Oh no, that would be us that acts that way. And only us. With enlightened views based on group identities, we know that those of other cultures act differently and according to what we ascribe to them ;)[/quote]

This might actually explain Poliquin’s rather bizarre fascination with EVERYTHING from language to program design to diet to philosophy that is UNAMERICAN and/or “EASTERN”!

WC: Alright dude, I’ll cut it out.

I can’t help myself sometimes. :slight_smile:

But dude, I haven’t “given in”. I just have a routine and diet that more suits my lifestyle now. That’s not giving in, and exercising 5 to 6 times per week is still a serious commitment.