Forget about Grain!

Maybe not as many people are GLUTEN intolerant like they might think. Perhaps it’s the bran of the grains that is causing nearly all gut problems, since it is known that bran is highly inflammatory to the digestive lining.

I’m not going to get all scientific, but I’ll just leave it said that grain, and especially the stuff that surrounds it (bran - which is full of antinutrients), is pretty bad for you if you eat it all the time, like more people do, it can mess up your digestive system unlike anything else.

I’ll just leave you with the article that I thought was pretty interesting and pointed out some stuff that I hadn’t already known. The moral of the article is that…

[quote] "The first cereal-gathering people would have tried eating and cooking grains many different ways, over aeons, as their stomachs and bodies reactions refined their attitudes to each grain. The white rice (BRAN REMOVED) diet of Asia is the result of such ageless observation and tradition, from both dietary and medical standpoints.

If brown rice were healthier, they’d be eating it!" [/quote]

http://nourishedmagazine.com.au/blog/articles/bread-dread-are-you-really-gluten-intolerant

Rice, corn, buckwheat and millet have glutens, but the glutens in these foods do not contain the gliadin molecule that can provoke the inflammatory reaction. Therefore, they are usually safe. Other safe grains include quinoa and amaranth.

Foods to definitely avoid:

Wheat # White flour products (baked goods, cookies, pastries) # Couscous # Beer and other malted drinks :frowning: # Barley # Rye # Kamut # Teff (no idea what this is though) # Spelt # Soy # Pasteurized cow’s milk products

Further reading:
http://www.celiac.com/articles/21756/1/Live-Bifidobacterium-Lactis-Bacteria-Blocks-Toxic-Effects-of-Wheat-Gliadin/Page1.html

*waits for stronghold

I like rice.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I like rice.[/quote]

Me too.

[quote]SkyNett wrote:

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
I like rice.[/quote]

Me too. [/quote]

I like rice a lot.

Interesting. Thanks BPT.

Interesting article BPT and good explanation there. Rice is a staple food over here in Asia and many find it hard to complete a meal without it (noodles made from rice is another example). I guess it’s a case of the select few that would chose to follow a diet without grains, it’s certainly not going to be everyone’s cup of tea. I have never really relied on rice but I used to eat a lot of pasta and bread - both which I cut back completely. I now eat rice one meal a week, it does make curry chicken taste nicer!

I used to follow the paleo/primal diets to a T. I have a lot of respect for them. I lost a lot of weight using it, before life stepped in a screwed me over. Now I’m mainly primal, but I do consume high quality dairy and I allow myself some small amounts of wild rice and sprouted grains. It’s been working moderately well for me.

[quote]benos4752 wrote:
I used to follow the paleo/primal diets to a T. I have a lot of respect for them. I lost a lot of weight using it, before life stepped in a screwed me over. Now I’m mainly primal, but I do consume high quality dairy and I allow myself some small amounts of wild rice and sprouted grains. It’s been working moderately well for me.[/quote]

A little known fact is that sprouted bread contains higher concentrations of a protein called wheat germ agglutinin lectin which is in highest concentrations in whole wheat and sprouted bread. It is largely responsible for many of wheat’s pervasive ill effects in that it can do direct damage to the majority of tissues in your body without requiring a specific set of genetic susceptibilities or immune-mediated articulations. I’m paraphrasing from another site, but here goes

[quote] …This may explain why chronic inflammatory and degenerative conditions are endemic to wheat-consuming populations.

WGA lectin is an exceptionally tough adversary as it is formed by the same disulfide bonds that make vulcanized rubber and human hair so strong, flexible and durable.

Like man-made pesticides, lectins are extremely small, resistant to breakdown by living systems, and tend to accumulate and become incorporated into tissues where they interfere with normal biological processes.

At exceedingly small concentrations, WGA stimulates the synthesis of pro-inflammatory chemical messengers. WGA induces thymus atrophy in rats. WGA can pass through the blood-brain barrier. It may also interfere with gene expression and disrupt endocrine function. [/quote]

[quote]BulletproofTiger wrote:

Wheat # White flour products (baked goods, cookies, pastries) # Couscous # Beer and other malted drinks :frowning: # Barley # Rye # Kamut # Teff (no idea what this is though) # Spelt # Soy # Pasteurized cow’s milk products[/quote]

Dairy from goat’s/sheep’s milk…Definitely avoid, or consume in moderation?

[quote]tolismann wrote:

Wheat # White flour products (baked goods, cookies, pastries) # Couscous # Beer and other malted drinks :frowning: # Barley # Rye # Kamut # Teff (no idea what this is though) # Spelt # Soy # Pasteurized cow’s milk products[/quote]

Dairy from goat’s/sheep’s milk…Definitely avoid, or consume in moderation?
[/quote]

The main distinction is raw vs pasteurized, if both are raw, then cows milk is almost as good as goat’s or sheep’s milk in moderation, IF (notice the BIG IF) a person’s digestive system is out of whack, all bets are off, meaning that all should probably be avoided.

Can’t you just tell if it’s working for you? When i have oatmeal with my 8 eggs for breakfast i feel pumped and ready to go…now if i eat whole grain toast (coming out to the same amount of carbs), not so much. I mean i don’t feel like shit but i don’t get that ‘boost’. Of course i could be missing something here (like the GI affecting this in someway) because i keep things simple and use what works without thought.

I’m still interested in the details though.

I have Celiac Disease (diagnosed two years ago), and feel great (gut wise, not energy wise cause I’m insulin sensitive) now that I stopped with the excessive amounts of kashi and whole wheat bread. Sweet potatoes, rice, and gluten free oats (grown in uncontaminated field, apparently they grow like right next to wheat) are good on my system though…dairy can be a little rough.

EDIT: Obviously I’m going to feel better cause I have Celiac disease…i guess this post was trivial. But you get the point.

EDIT 2: Brown rice bread rules.

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:
Can’t you just tell if it’s working for you? When i have oatmeal with my 8 eggs for breakfast i feel pumped and ready to go…now if i eat whole grain toast (coming out to the same amount of carbs), not so much. I mean i don’t feel like shit but i don’t get that ‘boost’. Of course i could be missing something here (like the GI affecting this in someway) because i keep things simple and use what works without thought.

I’m still interested in the details though.[/quote]

To some degree yes, but allergy testing is the way to go. Charles Poliquin goes pretty in depth about that stuff at his seminars. (but remember he is probably part Canadian Inuit so his diet is radically different than virtually any other culture) Part of the reason the oatmeal and eggs makes you feel good and the toast makes you feel like … well toast :slight_smile: is your insulin response curve. Egg protein slows digestion/absorption which creates a more stable insulin response (think a flatter, longer sine wave). Even if the oatmeal/eggs caused your body to release more total insulin, since it doesn’t look like the first hill of a roller coaster your energy should be more stable.(sorry for the science stuff I have a BS in Nutrition & a BS in Exercise Science)

I hope you are cooking your eggs and not drinking them or eating them soft. Forget salmonella, the real problem is that your body will not absorb uncooked egg protein very well. Eggs and meat are opposites… cook eggs well (I add cheese to make it palatable) but don’t overcook/blacken meat. Blackened meat is about as good for you as burned wood. Kill the bacteria… yes! But ingesting burned remains of anything does not promote muscle building. Also egg yolks contain some bacteria fighting properties so they (stretching it here) may be reducing total bacterial load on your intestine. Plus the B vitamins and other micro nutrients may be elevating mental function slightly.
Food for thought :slight_smile:

[quote]WillNJenn wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

To some degree yes, but allergy testing is the way to go. Charles Poliquin goes pretty in depth about that stuff at his seminars. (but remember he is probably part Canadian Inuit so his diet is radically different than virtually any other culture) Part of the reason the oatmeal and eggs makes you feel good and the toast makes you feel like … well toast :slight_smile: is your insulin response curve. Egg protein slows digestion/absorption which creates a more stable insulin response (think a flatter, longer sine wave). Even if the oatmeal/eggs caused your body to release more total insulin, since it doesn’t look like the first hill of a roller coaster your energy should be more stable.(sorry for the science stuff I have a BS in Nutrition & a BS in Exercise Science)

I hope you are cooking your eggs and not drinking them or eating them soft. Forget salmonella, the real problem is that your body will not absorb uncooked egg protein very well. Eggs and meat are opposites… cook eggs well (I add cheese to make it palatable) but don’t overcook/blacken meat. Blackened meat is about as good for you as burned wood. Kill the bacteria… yes! But ingesting burned remains of anything does not promote muscle building. Also egg yolks contain some bacteria fighting properties so they (stretching it here) may be reducing total bacterial load on your intestine. Plus the B vitamins and other micro nutrients may be elevating mental function slightly.
[/quote]

You should post more often.

My diet was designed by a Poliquin trained coach, my Biosignature indicated that I am not carb tolerant and my sugar has had more favourable responses after stopping Oatmeal, rice, bread, pasta etc.

Do you agree that it is possible that some people are just no good with a food as good as Oatmeal (which on it’s own has great properties in controlling insulin spikes and cholesterol)?

[quote]WillNJenn wrote:

[quote]K-Man32 wrote:

[/quote]

Just do what works for you. If your guts are 100%, then raw egg yolk might actually be better for you.

I’m surprised Stronghold hasn’t said anything yet. Probably because he’s all burnt out from the paleo thread. He has good points to make.

I haven’t eaten grains in a year, and I poop like a champion. Enough said.

The main distinction is raw vs pasteurized, if both are raw, then cows milk is almost as good as goat’s or sheep’s milk in moderation, IF (notice the BIG IF) a person’s digestive system is out of whack, all bets are off, meaning that all should probably be avoided.[/quote]
Actually, since adult lactose tolerance is considered a genetic mutation it is “out of whack” to be able to tolerate dairy.