T Nation

Foreman grille fat reduction?

Wondering exactly how much fat would you guys estimate a Foreman grille subtracts from say a 80/20 lean patty? the reason I ask is because for almost all oils or fat based oils 1-2 tbsp average about 16g of fat, well noticing that when the grille cooks the burger the waste container that picks up oil is about half full, which would amount to about three tbsp. Anyone have any idea how much fat it actually substracts?

Seems to me the manufacturer got into trouble about the “knockout the fat” claims, and had to drop them. When cooking hamburger, much of the juice you collected was probably water. When cooking a steak, it sears both sides and locks in the fat - which is why the steak tastes so damned good!

Don’t wanna sound dumb, or ask a simple question but I gotta ask this: So if a burger at 24g pro/ 20g fat is cooked on the Foreman Grille Im ridding fat? sucking the water out? or nothing?

I think it does a good job, im here at college and i cook a lot on it. I make alot of hamburgers and the little tub allways collects fat cause im lazy and after about 2 hours it turns rock solid. And if you push on the top pf the formen it really pushes out the fat.
God bless

There’s nothing magic about the grill. The cooking surface is tilted so instead of the fat and water leaking out and sitting there, it runs into a pan. That’s it! I remember reading somewhere that you only reduce fat by a couple of grams. And you’d do that anyway just by draining off a regular grill or patting the meat down with a paper towel after cooking.

It’s a handy little device, but don’t be fooled into thinking you’re making your burgers “healthy” by using it.

This may not answer your question, but I buy the regular ground beef and pan fry it, then run it under hot water in a strainer and it takes the stats from 20g pro/20g fat to roughly 20g pro/5g fat in my estimation, which is better than spending more $ on extra lean and ending up with the same stats… take care,
pete

Pete, do you fully cook the burger then follow with the warm water? Sounds like a good idea worth trying. Thanks

Not trying to be a smartass, pete, but where did you get that figure from?

Pretty simple experiment- I have a scale in the kitchen and weighed 1 cup of pan fried ground beef, took the reading, rinsed it, then weighed it again. The difference in grams is the fat drained off. Try it sometime, works for me! Take care,
pete

It would be nice if it was that simple. The 15g difference is a combination of fat and water.

Pete, you can’t be serious, can you? It’s not all fat that you drain off.

Hey Al, yes i cook it thru before rinsing, then add spices. As for whether it is fat or water being washed away, you tell me how i could be washing away water with water and I’ll give you an answer. This is all peanuts anyways, do it for yourself and measure the difference:) Peace,
pete

I’ve heard of washing ground beef…CRUMBLED ground beef… with water in a strainer (Keith Klein maybe). But it sounds like you are washing the ouside of a hamburger. Not the same effect.

I just read the whole thread agin, it sounds like you are washing crumbled ground beef, which makes sense. (Washing the ouside of a hamburger… no make sense). Hey, ya never know!

Because I can buy minced meat with 10 % or less fat I haven?t trobled myself to try this … Cook the minced meat in water, when it cools down you can take the the now seperated fat away as it forms at sort of lid on the surface, I think that the meat you have left doesn?t make good burgers but in a other dishes it will be okey. I don?t think that it`s worth the effort but that?s just me.

Pete’s method of reducing fat is fact. 80/20 ground beef can in fact be 5 grams of fat per 3-oz cooked tested by USDA.
(USDA Nutrient Database for Standard Reference, Release 11-1 1997)

I have to agree with brian, i think it does a great job and it does collect alot of fat (and water)I’m sorry to disapoint you Tek but dabbing a fat soaked hamburger with a papertowel is not gonna have the same affect.

From a Boston newspaper:

"Foreman claims his method cuts the fat, but researchers at the Good Housekeeping Institute compared the fat in a hamburger cooked on a Foreman Grill to hamburgers cooked on a broiler and a skillet. The results? No significant difference in fat amounts. Most of the drippings are simply meat juice and water.

Though George Foreman sells his grill as a healthy alternative, we couldn’t find any real evidence of that. When we talked to George Foreman’s people, they admitted that they make no specific claims about fat reduction."

This was in the paper’s “Buyer Beware” section. Like I said, it’s a handy product, but don’t bullshit yourself.

I’ve owned one for the past 3 or 4 years, and I never really worried about whether or not it reduced fat. It’s just an obscenely practical cooking aid for those of us who 1) can’t cook and/or 2) have limited space and resources for cooking. So, as a college student, you can cook just about anything between a Foreman and a microwave.

I don’t know if this helps anyone, but I read a British study, and they found that if you dab pizza with a paper towel before eating it, it reduces saturated fat by 17 percent. I don’t know if this crosses over to beef, but I do it anyway, because I figure it can’t hurt.