Forearmz-Optimal Way to Worth Them

No really, what would be the most optimal way to work them:

1. Wrist curls don’t do shit
  2. I can’t afford fat gripz (my mom won’t buy me them and I have no job :P)
  3. Seriously considering making homemade ones though

Asides from that, would you say there are specific movements which isolate your pronation and supination muscles?

Please show me the light, because, this is REALLY limiting my arm development, and, my goal is to get my bench over 300 by this March, and, not to mention stimulate the good old biceps.

And, with that being said:

I’m thinking of making fat grips homemade style with toilet paper rolls, will work or no?
And, no, I am not joking…

You can wrap a towel around the bar to simulate a thick bar. I don’t see the connection between your forearms and your bench though. How do you hold the bar to strain your forearms when benching?

[quote]LazyElemental wrote:
You can wrap a towel around the bar to simulate a thick bar. I don’t see the connection between your forearms and your bench though. How do you hold the bar to strain your forearms when benching?[/quote]

x2 on the forearm/bench connection. If anything, you need to bring your tricep strength up to help out with the lockout.

Some good tricep builders that will help with your bench:
-reverse wide-grip Smith presses
-elbows-out DB extensions
-board presses (or bench press off of pins)

I particularly like the elbows-out DB extension because it hits the lower part of the tricep (part closest to your elbow). It’s also known as a Tate press.

You can wrap a towel around the bar to simulate a thick bar. I don’t see the connection between your forearms and your bench though. How do you hold the bar to strain your forearms when benching?[/quote]

If you have stronger forearms, you can squeeze the bar harder, stimulating the triceps more in the movement.

Wow, I fucking suck, why did I not think of that lol

/thread

[quote]PhatAznGuy wrote:

Wow, I fucking suck, why did I not think of that lol

/thread[/quote]

I loled

Hammer curls, kpipe curls, pinwheel curls, wrist curls, cable reverse curls… your momma curls…

Heavy dumbbell and thick-bar holds, plate pinch gripping, towel chinups, deadlifting with a hook grip.

worth a read Forums - T Nation - The World's Trusted Community for Elite Fitness

Grab a heavy dumbbell and do hanging wrist curls with your palm facing your body. Let the weight roll out onto your fingertips as far as you can. Helps to use a thumbless grip for this one.

Pinch-grip static holds are great for the thumb and also for that ‘holy shit I think my arm just caught fire’ feeling. 10-15 seconds. Use a clock

Set the pins in a power rack to just below your deadlift lockout height. Load the bar and do five-second holds with as much weight as you can handle with a double-overhand grip. Try this one with a towel wrapped around the bar.

Pinwheel curls.

[quote]PhatAznGuy wrote:

I’m thinking of making fat grips homemade style with toilet paper rolls, will work or no?
And, no, I am not joking…

Edit: LOL I love the title edit the mods did!!! Thanks for the funny title “Way to worth them” ahaha[/quote]

Yes it will work, if you’re using your own adjustable DB you can gradually increase the bar thickness with carboard tubes (I did this ~30yrs ago, it works)

Well thanks for the replies guys…

It’s kind of sad when you can’t hold a 100pd dumbbell, but, you can easily press it :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]PhatAznGuy wrote:

It’s kind of sad when you can’t hold a 100pd dumbbell, but, you can easily press it :P[/quote]

Sorry, but I have great difficulty believing this.

[quote]Rational Gaze wrote:

[quote]PhatAznGuy wrote:

It’s kind of sad when you can’t hold a 100pd dumbbell, but, you can easily press it :P[/quote]

Sorry, but I have great difficulty believing this.[/quote]

Ah man, obviously I’m exagerrating, but, the amount of pain it takes to position to press, it’s just simply not worth doing.

I really like the plate pinch deadlift that’s described in this article: Strength Training, Bodybuilding & Online Supplement Store - T NATION

Other than that, hammer curls or pinwheel curls, some reverse curls. I’m not really a fan of wrist curls, but this is a version that feels pretty good:

I didn’t mention grippers because if you can’t afford fat gripz you probably won’t buy grippers either. Oh and when you deadlift, use an overhand grip as long as you can. I always do my warm up and lighter sets with an overhand grip, then I change to a hook grip or mixed grip for my heavier sets.

I don’t really like that pinch deadlift setup simply because it would allow you to pull backward and take pressure off the thumb. I use a 1.5" pipe and a couple of 45’s, then I add any extra weight evenly to both sides. If I have a load that isn’t balanced, I put the larger weight on the thumb side.

I mean, if you’re not working your thumbs, why pinch?

I wrap leather gloves around the barbell when I do pulling movements. I find it too much of a hassle to do separate exercises for the forearms when those hit them hard.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
I don’t really like that pinch deadlift setup simply because it would allow you to pull backward and take pressure off the thumb. I use a 1.5" pipe and a couple of 45’s, then I add any extra weight evenly to both sides. If I have a load that isn’t balanced, I put the larger weight on the thumb side.

I mean, if you’re not working your thumbs, why pinch?[/quote]

That’s a good point, you can make it easier by pulling backwards. I’ve found a way to solve that problem by supporting the bar against a wooden box we have. That box is so light that if I pull backwards it falls over.

Your idea with a pipe sounds nice though, I’ll see if I can find a good pipe to try it with.

I can’t tell the OP what to do specifically, but my observation and experience is that the guys with the biggest forearms are the ones who pick up a lot of heavy shit (without straps) and do tons of curl variations.