T Nation

Forearms Fatigue First w/ DB Rows

I’ve been Doing Dumbell Rows and it seems like it’s always my forearms getting tired before I even feel it in my back, I was wondering if anyone had any advice, or if I should just switch exercises for the upper back.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Do you know how to flare your lats? In other words, does your back get wider when you do a rear lat spread?

yes that will always happen… just focus on your back being worked in your head… get in the right focus for it…

you may might want to try straps too… it reduces the stress on the forearms and palms

By forearms getting tired, do you mean your grip is failing? If so, a TEMPORARY fix is to use straps until you get a better grip.

A longer term solution is to learn how to FEEL your back working. A way to start this is to focus your mind on your elbow as you lift and forget about your hand and the weight thats in it. You can do this along with using the straps. The straps will assist in taking your mind away from the failing grip and allow it to focus on the working muscle.

But if your grip is failing, you need to correct that somehow so you are not crutching yourself down the road with the straps.

Edit: Joel in before me, so this is basically a x2

Is the DB row the first exercise you do on that day? Maybe you pre-fatigue your forearms with other exercises.

Could also be a ROM problem. From what i gather (i sparingly do db rows) your upper arm only has to be parallel with your torso on the concentric motion and you don’t over stretch on the eccentric motion.

Edit: Take my advice with a grain of salt b/c as i said i dont do them often.

I usually do shoulders/back/triceps on the same day, and before I do rows I usually do presses and lateral raises, so it could be the lateral raises that are tiring my grip out. Also, thinking back on my workouts all I can really remember thinking is how tired my grip is… so it looks like you’re all giving good advice.

EDIT: Also, thanks to the mod that changed the title to actually give a clue what the thread was about :slight_smile:

Post your workout. Personally I’d do Dumbell Rows before the lateral raises and possible as the first exercise in the workout.

Day 1: Shoulders, Back, Triceps

Push Press
Lateral Raise

Deadlift/Power Clean
Dumbell Rows

Skullcrushers/CG Bench Press

Day 2: Legs, Chest, Biceps

Back Squat/Front Squat
DB Lunges
Seated/Standing Calf Raise

Bench Press
Fly-Aways

Curls

I train Monday-Saturday, 6 days a week alternating day 1 and day 2 workouts. The exercises separated by slashes are alternated every time I do that day’s workout, so for example back squat would be twice one week(Tuesday/Saturday) and once the following week (Thursday)

I also do 15-20 minutes of cardio Mon/Wed/Fri. Sunday is a complete day off from everything, and my carb up day.

I don’t really like the setup of your routine but if it’s working for you then stick with it. Based on your template I would orger the exercises as follows.

Day 1: Shoulders, Back, Triceps

Deadlift/Power Clean
Push Press
Dumbell Rows
Skullcrushers/CG Bench Press
Lateral Raise

Day 2: Legs, Chest, Biceps

Back Squat/Front Squat
Bench Press
DB Lunges
Curls
Fly-Aways
Seated/Standing Calf Raise

Also consider doing alternating sets for some of the exerises.
For example on Day 2 instead of doing all your sets of Bench Press and then all your sets of DB Lunges you could set it up like this:

Set 1: Bench Press
rest
Set 2: DB Lunges
rest
Set 3: Bench Press
rest
Set 4: DB Lunges
etc.

I just started doing this a little while ago actually, until now I’ve been doing Starting Strength. I’ll try the setup you suggested though, judging by your avatar you just might know what you’re talking about :slight_smile:

Also, I didn’t put it in the first post, but I’ve been doing 3x8 work sets, or until failure, for each movement.