T Nation

Forearm Volume

my grip has always failed first in basically all of my training. I always start off fine, but lose the cant seem to hold on to the weights near the end of the workouts. IE most noticeable on dead lifts and pull ups. I do singles for deads and have no trouble in the beginning, but towards by like 12 rep or so the bar just falls out of my hands. Also on pullups i notice the same thing. I am thinking it has something to do with recorver, and thoughts?

I do no direct arm stuff.

these are the exercises i do
squats
deads
lunges
over head press
cleans
db benching
pull ups
dips

and thoughts for how i can not be a wimp and drop crap?

If your grip is really limiting your progression, use straps as soon as your grip fails (NOT before)

Make sure you wrist is straight. If you curl your wrist joint (even slightly) while DLing or doing Pull/Chin-Ups, you weaken your grip considerably and tire much faster.

Grip strength/strength-endurance improves slower than other muscle groups, so you just have to be patient and wait till your grip performance catches up with the rest of your body.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:
If your grip is really limiting your progression, use straps as soon as your grip fails (NOT before)
[/quote]

While using straps can assist a trainee in holding onto a weight, it’s this type of ‘crutch’ that will keep that trainee’s grip weak if no direct grip/hold work is done to strengthen their grip. In other words, you’re making a bad situation worse in that the grip doesn’t develop as it would not using straps.
So, work on your gripping strength.

thanks - ill try a bunch of those exercises and see what happens…

This doesn’t work as cool on pullups, but…

Make sure you use a switch grip on deadlifts.

Lastly, explosive lifts (power cleans and snatches) are, IMHO, the best developer of grip strength ever.

[quote]Otep wrote:
This doesn’t work as cool on pullups, but…

Make sure you use a switch grip on deadlifts.

Lastly, explosive lifts (power cleans and snatches) are, IMHO, the best developer of grip strength ever.[/quote]

• Captains of Crush grippers are great.

• Pinch grip two plates with your thumb and index for time (I’d use a pair of 5lb plates)

• At the end of your workout, twice a week, hang from the chin bar for time. Every week, try to increase your hang time by 5 seconds.

• Farmer’s carries are excellent as well.

Good luck!

TGR

You can also hold Hex Dumbells for time, by pinching the end. Pinching the whole shebang with your whole hand. That has helped me build my DL grip, because my thumb was weak.
Edit: this helped because It allowed me to crush my forefinger, and FU finger with my thumb when holding the bar.

[quote]Petrichor wrote:

Make sure you wrist is straight. If you curl your wrist joint (even slightly) while DLing or doing Pull/Chin-Ups, you weaken your grip considerably and tire much faster.

Grip strength/strength-endurance improves slower than other muscle groups, so you just have to be patient and wait till your grip performance catches up with the rest of your body.[/quote]

Wrong, wrong, and one more time WRONG!
Look dude, Forearms are an amazing mussel to choose to build. Forearms gain almost no fat, lose mussel very slowly once they gain it, and they are used as functional mussels in so many ways. I am a forearm Fanatic!
5x15 reverse Curls
5x15 forearm Curls
5x15 reverse forearm Curls
3x10 wrist rollers
If you want grip, don’t avoid the problem. Forearms are easy to build and within just your one or two recovery days, you will see a difference.

[quote]Brucelee69 wrote:
Petrichor wrote:

Grip strength/strength-endurance improves slower than other muscle groups, so you just have to be patient and wait till your grip performance catches up with the rest of your body.

Look dude, Forearms are an amazing mussel to choose to build. Forearms gain almost no fat, lose mussel very slowly once they gain it, and they are used as functional mussels in so many ways. I am a forearm Fanatic!
5x15 reverse Curls
5x15 forearm Curls
3x10 wrist rollers
If you want grip, don’t avoid the problem. Forearms are easy to build and within just your one or two recovery days, you will see a difference. [/quote]

If you’re going to tell someone their wrong, might be a good idea to tell them why and not just say why forearm muscles are great. He is right. IT is harder to keep grip strength up with most muscles otherwise why the hell would anyone need straps?

BTW, while doing wrist curls can help grip, just doing forearm curls will not alone increase grip strength as much as pulling heavy fucking weight off the floor without straps. Also doing cleans(and other O lifts), and farmer walks will help alot more than some small forearms curls.

db static holds or bb

oh so here is what i did yesterday. maybe i just recover slow.

100lb db bench press 25 reps, sets of 5 - 4.
-----first 2 sets break was ~ 60 seconds after that break was longer ~ 3 - 4 minutes

135 hang clean, and overhead press - 3 reps per set. I basically did this untill i couldnt do the 3 hang cleans, due to forearm=wimpy. then i did 1 hang clean and 5 overhead presses for 4 sets.

dips 3x8 +50lbs

last i did 315 holds in the rack - crap just fell right out of my hand, then i lowered to 225 and was able to hold it for some time ~ 5-15 seconds. Note i can deadlift 365 for 1.

i wanted to do towel pull ups too, but skipped it as i dont think i would be able to have got any done.

its feels odd to me that my forearms quit so soon, please take a look at let me know what you think.

[quote]tawl17 wrote:
oh so here is what i did yesterday. maybe i just recover slow.

100lb db bench press 25 reps, sets of 5 - 4.
-----first 2 sets break was ~ 60 seconds after that break was longer ~ 3 - 4 minutes

135 hang clean, and overhead press - 3 reps per set. I basically did this untill i couldnt do the 3 hang cleans, due to forearm=wimpy. then i did 1 hang clean and 5 overhead presses for 4 sets.

dips 3x8 +50lbs

last i did 315 holds in the rack - crap just fell right out of my hand, then i lowered to 225 and was able to hold it for some time ~ 5-15 seconds. Note i can deadlift 365 for 1.

i wanted to do towel pull ups too, but skipped it as i dont think i would be able to have got any done.

its feels odd to me that my forearms quit so soon, please take a look at let me know what you think.[/quote]

well your forearms were already dead by the time you got to doing static holds… Maybe you could try having one day a week where you focus only on grip strength?

[quote]Brucelee69 wrote:
Petrichor wrote:

5x15 reverse Curls
5x15 forearm Curls
3x10 wrist rollers
If you want grip, don’t avoid the problem. Forearms are easy to build and within just your one or two recovery days, you will see a difference. [/quote]

ok, i sorta agree with this guy, even though he has decided eveyone else is wrong and cant spell muscle… lol
also, try taking two steel plates if you have them, and just grip them together, thumb on one side fingers on the other and hold for as long as you can, you will be surprised how strong your hands will get…