T Nation

Forearm Training

I going to focus on bringing up my weak forearms for the next phase of my training. I currently use a split routine about 3-4 days a week. I want to add a seperate workout just for the forearms so I would be working them three times a week. I believe the forearms recover well enough to handle this extra training. Any thoughts?

You have to add in the fact that you use your forearms in deadlifts and other pulling movements, so it will affect those especially if the workouts leaves them sore and fatigued.

Make a “wrist roller.” PVC pipe (I used 2 inch diameter), some sturdy rope (6mm about), drill a hole in the pipe, tie the rope, then tie on a weight. These in my opinion are great for forearm training.

Also, quality grippers, like the Captains of Crush grippers are nice. Otherwise, I think forearm curls are a waste of time to be honest. I have never seen results from them. My forearms have gotten bigger from lifting heavy weights in power cleans, deadlifts, and pull-ups.

You can also try 1:00 min dead hangs from a pull-up bar. Try to go for one minute, then up the time the next or add weight to yourself. This works well too. Finger boards are handy, but require a lot of direct time and be careful with your tendons in your fingers. Good luck.

I just work my forearms once a week; doing some rope curls or whatever they are called…with the rope hanging.

that along with all my bench and pulling movements gets them good and activated.

[quote]matso1236 wrote:
You have to add in the fact that you use your forearms in deadlifts and other pulling movements, so it will affect those especially if the workouts leaves them sore and fatigued.[/quote]

I agree with this. Its also worth mentioning that another way to go is to add forearm work at the end of the workouts in which you do deadlifts and other pulling movements.

You can train forearms daily, I usually train them towards the end of my workout.

I train them mon/tues, wed off, thurs/fri…weekends off.

From my baseball days I have some different exercises for forearms:

wrist curls both ways

get a 5lb bucket and fill it with rice. stick your hand in the bucket and make a grip with your hand grabbing some rice and twist your wrist while shoving your hand deeper in the bucket. (sounds weird but try it!)

grab a straight bar used for cables. With your arm straight in front of you rotate your wrist so the bar moves in a half circle.

superset that with letting your arms hang at your sides with your thumbs pointing forward rotate your thumb and the bar up to your face. (Do not bend your elbow)

If you like hammer curls, try using a lighter weight and as you hammer curl the weight up bring it closer to your chin/chest and then rotate the top of the dumbell forward.

If you want grip strength just hang from a pullup bar until you fall.

You can also set a bench about 2-3 feet in front of the pull up bar, attach two towels to the bar. Place your heels on the bench and grab the towels and hold on tight. If you let go you fall on your ass! So there is some motivation.

If your 45lb plates have a lip on them, just grab the lip with your fingers and hold until failure.

I hope some of those may be of some help.

DG

I find doing them after a finshing a pulling session works great. I do them on tues and fri.

A good exercise is if, you get a 25 or 35 plate depending on how strong you are, and put your four fingers underneath the plate and rest your thumb on top of it, and just lift the plate with your fingers. I find standard dumbell work to be effective also.

Hands {Tuesday and Saturday}

1. CAPTAINS OF CRUSH (TRAINER) 2X10
  2. CAPTAINS OF CRUSH (#1) 3X5
  3. EXTENSOR BANDS 3 X 12
  4. TITANS TELEGRAPH KEY 3 X 10 THUMB
  5. DEX BALLS or PUTTY 5 MINS

Forearms {Tuesday and Saturday}

A1) Thor’s hammer supination/pronation
5 x 4-6 per side
Slow and controlled movements
90 seconds rest

B1) Wrist curl (flexion)
4 x 12-15
Hold peak contraction 2 seconds on each rep
75 seconds rest

B2) Wrist roller
4 x 3-4 “up and down”
75 seconds rest

C1) Radial flexion*
3 x 12-15
30 seconds rest

C2) Ulnar flexion*
3 x 12-15
30 seconds rest

Since Thursday is named after Thor himself, I figured that it ought to be a good day for my forearm training. I have used the CoC for some time now and am proudly squeezing the 2.5 for sets of 3-5.

I also use the Ivanko multi squeeze thing once I can no longer get my 1.5 to click and grind. Most of what I have learned, I have gotten from the information off of IronMind and AtomicAthlete, which are two of the best places for forearm and grip training gear.

What I love the most is the use of Sledgehammers along with my grip accoutrements. The 16lbs sledge along with an old tractor tire for 30 min is a great workout for the forearms.

Thursdays are Thor’s days and Thor loves his hammer.

See how long you can hold on to a 45# plate by the edge in each hand. My best time is 2.5 mins.

Reverse BB curls and Farmer’s walks as a superset. Tried it for the first time today just for fun, and it got my forearms real good.

[quote]ASNAC wrote:
Since Thursday is named after Thor himself, I figured that it ought to be a good day for my forearm training. I have used the CoC for some time now and am proudly squeezing the 2.5 for sets of 3-5.

I also use the Ivanko multi squeeze thing once I can no longer get my 1.5 to click and grind. Most of what I have learned, I have gotten from the information off of IronMind and AtomicAthlete, which are two of the best places for forearm and grip training gear.

What I love the most is the use of Sledgehammers along with my grip accoutrements. The 16lbs sledge along with an old tractor tire for 30 min is a great workout for the forearms.

Thursdays are Thor’s days and Thor loves his hammer.[/quote]

Oh shit, I can’t believe I never realized that. If it’s actually true? (the Thor’s day and thursday?)

Oh it is true, our days of the week are mostly named after Germanic/AS/Norse gods.

Tuesday: Tiwes day (Tyr)
Wednesday: Wodens day (Odin)
Thursday: Thor’s day (Thor)
Friday: Frige’s day (Frigg)

I’ve been following this with good results so far.

http://www.T-Nation.com/article/performance_training/massive_forearms_strong_grip&cr=

if you wanted to increase strength do your dead hangs and farmers walks at the end of each workout

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
You can train forearms daily, I usually train them towards the end of my workout.

wrist curls both ways

get a 5lb bucket and fill it with rice. stick your hand in the bucket and make a grip with your hand grabbing some rice and twist your wrist while shoving your hand deeper in the bucket. (sounds weird but try it!)

grab a straight bar used for cables. With your arm straight in front of you rotate your wrist so the bar moves in a half circle.

superset that with letting your arms hang at your sides with your thumbs pointing forward rotate your thumb and the bar up to your face. (Do not bend your elbow)

If you like hammer curls, try using a lighter weight and as you hammer curl the weight up bring it closer to your chin/chest and then rotate the top of the dumbell forward.

You can also set a bench about 2-3 feet in front of the pull up bar, attach two towels to the bar. Place your heels on the bench and grab the towels and hold on tight. If you let go you fall on your ass! So there is some motivation.

If your 45lb plates have a lip on them, just grab the lip with your fingers and hold until failure.

DG[/quote]

Gerdy,

I imagine as a former baseball player you have a wicked grip.

How much of your direct forearm training would you attribute to forearm size gains?

IOW, did your forearms not grow unless you hit them directly?

[quote]greekdawg wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

wrist curls both ways

DG

Gerdy,

I imagine as a former baseball player you have a wicked grip.

How much of your direct forearm training would you attribute to forearm size gains?

IOW, did your forearms not grow unless you hit them directly?[/quote]

I have pretty decent grip strength as I train forearms directly as well as limit my use of straps.

My forearms never grew until I started direct work. I mainly started for strength and performance but they grew as a result. lol

I’m naturally a skinny lean SOB and so if I want something to grow I have to hit it directly lol

DG

[quote]ASNAC wrote:
Oh it is true, our days of the week are mostly named after Germanic/AS/Norse gods.

Tuesday: Tiwes day (Tyr)
Wednesday: Wodens day (Odin)
Thursday: Thor’s day (Thor)
Friday: Frige’s day (Frigg) [/quote]

Oh…my…Zeus, it all makes sense now.

[quote]B rocK wrote:
I just work my forearms once a week; doing some rope curls or whatever they are called…with the rope hanging.

that along with all my bench and pulling movements gets them good and activated.[/quote]

idk, for some people that won’t be enough, that was my line of thinking and now my forearms are definitely a weak link in my lifting. Now i have to specialize them by working them 3-4 times a week. Anyway, it really can’t hurt to throw in extra sessions of forearm work, honestly. Them and calves can handle so much more frequency than other body parts.

I like to hit my forearms on my cardio days. This way I blast my forearms til they feel like bowling pins. I have seen a difference over the past few months. I do cardio 2-3 times a week then wrist curl variations. It begins to help my tendonitis as well.