T Nation

Forearm Training?

Do you guys do direct forearm training? I do lots of deads and pullups and rows, is that sufficient?

I get a real good burn in my wrists from doing those exercises. I never did direct forearm work because I never had to stop an exercise because my grip gave out before my back did (minus the occasional time on RDL). Even when I superset pulling movements my grip can last the sets, nevertheless I wouldn’t mind some more size.

Any thoughts?

I do not do direct grip training, I perform deadlifts and pull/chin up. My forearms are the least of my concerns.

NO, but i have small forearms ATM.

I think a combination of pulling movements, curls, and reverse curls would be enough for most peoples needs.

I just never could stick with a program that had wrist curls or anything similar. It just seems like too much of a waste of time to me.

Yes.
On the day after my back workout…

My best for overall size is wrist curls and reverse curls with leverage bar to finish it off…

(on back day no straps)

Solid

I use straps for every exercise I can. My emphasis is the muscle trained and not my forearms. With straps I can do a LOT more weight.

As far as training forearms I like to do reverse curls behind the back, Hammer Curls (with biceps, hits the brachioradialis), regular curls on a bench, the bar and rope idea with a plate at the bottom, get a bucket of rice and reach in grab and twist, hang from towels on a pull up bar. I got a myriad of them. All work best when performed slowly with perfect form. For example, with the bar curls let it roll out almost out of your hand and then curl all the way up.

Gerdy

I have naturally decent forearms. I tend to train them for about 6-8 weeks, then let the indirect work maitain their size.

I like to use hand grippers, not cheap ones like easy plastic ones though but really hard ones.
http://ironmind.com/ironmind/opencms/ironmind/Main/captainsofcrush.html

Ironmind has the best imo, they have added quite a bit of size to my forearms. They also are great for developing strong crush grip, I’m able to close a #3 now and I definitely have much stronger hands then when I first started out few months ago.

[quote]shizen wrote:
I like to use hand grippers, not cheap ones like easy plastic ones though but really hard ones.

Ironmind has the best imo, they have added quite a bit of size to my forearms. They also are great for developing strong crush grip, I’m able to close a #3 now and I definitely have much stronger hands then when I first started out few months ago. [/quote]

Congratulations, the No. 3 is impressive.

Not at the moment.

I do periodically, not often enough i may add. I have noticed in some poses recently that hey are noticeably lacking, so i intend to put them in hard and heavy o bring them up - it has been so long, i sougd get newbie gains too!!

I really should train them as i use straps for all back exercises. As Gerdy said, i can lift so much more weight for longer, that to not use them would be a crime against bodybuilding.
If i didn’t use straps, by forearms would be bigger, but my back ALOT smaller!

When i do train them i use Wrist curls behind the back, Wrist Curls, Reverse wrist Curls, reverse curls, bar holds (like a shrug but no movement) and farmers walk.

Joe

[quote]LiftSmart wrote:
shizen wrote:

Ironmind has the best imo, they have added quite a bit of size to my forearms. They also are great for developing strong crush grip, I’m able to close a #3 now and I definitely have much stronger hands then when I first started out few months ago.

Congratulations, the No. 3 is impressive.[/quote]

Thanks, took some time had to make it a priority to finally get it, I can’t do it under official conditions yet prob in few months then get name on list not in too much of hurry. Their definitely a fun tool, originally got it to help with forearms but now got me interested in grip training in general.

Also to the op I was thinking of getting some tyler grips(http://www.tylergrip.com/) you can just put them on anything you do and will definitely hit your grip and forearms a lot.

yeah the 3 IS good going. well done shizen… mean it.

Go get the 4!!!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I do direct forearm training on arm day, and love it. I want retardedly big forearms.

I like doing a big triset of behind the back wrist curls/bench supported wrist curls/dead hangs.

Mine are effin’ puny. I need to train them directly, but by the time I’m done all all my pulls, I have no desire to train the little bastards.

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
Mine are effin’ puny. I need to train them directly, but by the time I’m done all all my pulls, I have no desire to train the little bastards. [/quote]

That’s my thing, if I did do forarm work it’d be on back day and when that’s over I’m pretty spent (a workout full of deadlifts, pullups and rows…ugh). I also feel it’s just a waste of time, like I could be doing something else instead. I’ll try it for a bit, maybe some plate pinches and some sort of wrist curl.

imo a strong grip is pretty functional.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
I use straps for every exercise I can. My emphasis is the muscle trained and not my forearms. With straps I can do a LOT more weight.
[/quote]

I hear people say this all the time… The purest are all going to say suck it up and never use straps…

But a balanced approached is what I have found to be more logical…

I use straps if I can’t get that mind muscle feel and my forearms are giving out.

Just balance out what your goals are and listen to your body and you’ll be fine…

Solid

I get ya inthego, but for me, i get SO much benefit from straps on back day, a good 3-4 extra reps on EVERY set, is really something - matches Testosterone. The gains dont… but…

So i use them back day only, and for traps. But i am beginning to trin my forearms and grip. I was thinking of going back to no strap DL, but i can pull 4 plates now nearly, and my grip couldnt last for 1 rep i suspect! So i continue with the straps and i added 8 sets of heavy bar holds with wrist work etc…

Joe

[quote]inthego wrote:
Dirty Gerdy wrote:

I hear people say this all the time… The purest are all going to say suck it up and never use straps…

But a balanced approached is what I have found to be more logical…

I use straps if I can’t get that mind muscle feel and my forearms are giving out.

Just balance out what your goals are and listen to your body and you’ll be fine…

Solid[/quote]

I manage to train my forearms seperate. Being more concerned with bodybuiding instead of strength training, it’s no biggie to me. I’d rather take the few extra reps on deads, rows, etc.

But I do see your point.

Gerdy

Your only as strong as your weakest link and buffing up your forearm strength could lead to considerable gains in upper body (bi/tri) work so it might be a good idea to throw in some specialization work on the Popeye muscles:)

I like to get my heavy (strapped) deadlifts in at the beginning of a workout and then go back for more at a light weight and double-overhand grip it and farmers walk it.

Nasty back DOMS + good forearm work.