Forearm Tendons

Does anybody know what forearm tendon attaches the the humorous, onto the outside part of the arm between the biceps and triceps??

Crosses the elbow? brachioradialis? seems a little too easy to be correct but… i am not sure which extensors or flexors cross the elbow though, except that obvious one!

ya I think you mean brachioradialis…but I think Bushy is more correct than I… :stuck_out_tongue:

Gerdy

I believe the tendon from the proximal end of the “BRalis” attaches in or around the area he describes… ye… in between bi and tri, almost underneath the brachialis muscle.

If the wants a forearm endon that attaches onto the humerus, it has gotta cross the elbow - are you thinking of an ACTUAL tendon from the wrist/forearm area? possible too.

Joe

Wikipedia

Gerdy

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
But the brachioradialis is a muscle not a tendon, and it crosses the elbow, not “attaches the the humorous, onto the outside part of the arm between the biceps and triceps” Which is kind of hard to decipher, lol.

Bushy[/quote]

Ya I agree. We are all kind of assuming what the guy was asking. The brachioradialis is a muscle but doesn’t all muscle need a tendon to attach to bone?

Even though I’m sure that they have a scientific name for that tendon because they have a name for EVERY part of the muscle (I’m in Anatomy right now and we had to learn most of this, long painful nights of studying thats all I have to say) lol

The wikipedia post said where it attaches but didn’t give a clear definition of where it originates and inserts. I tried finding a picture and this is the best one I could find.

If you follow the brachio-radialis and the extensor carpi radialis longus muscles you see that it goes straight to a point in between the biceps and triceps. This is just a superficial view of the muscles in the arm. They didn’t have a superficial/deep view. All the deep views took the brachio/etc off.

Not that we are really answering this guys question more like our own :stuck_out_tongue: lol

well this took me about 8 minutes hopefully the OP did the same…

Awesome! Thanks for the info. No, I could not find it on anatomy sites, even though it should have seemed logical to do so. It was a situation where I could get practically the whole anatomy of the arm except for the info I needed. I have seen the brachioradialis mentioned, but on the pictures it was impossible to tell if that was the right one or not based on the location in the pictures.

So my brachioradialis is fucked up. I fucked it up doing weighted pull-ups. I have had two cortisone shots and I am taking anti-inflammatories for it. All helped but the pain persists. I ice it daily as well as have taken long lay-off of 9 - 12 days at a time but it still bothers me. Anybody have some ideas on how the heal this fucking thing. It’s a lot better than it was, but I can’t seem to shake it.
I do chin up vs. pull ups as it aggravates it less. But it prevents me from doing cleans, overhead presses, moderately heavy curls of any kind, pronated grip curls are out, etc.

Getting old sucks, 10 years ago I would have healed in a week. Actually it never happened then, I was indestructible; not anymore, damn it.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
bushidobadboy wrote:
But the brachioradialis is a muscle not a tendon, and it crosses the elbow, not “attaches the the humorous, onto the outside part of the arm between the biceps and triceps” Which is kind of hard to decipher, lol.

Bushy

Ya I agree. We are all kind of assuming what the guy was asking. The brachioradialis is a muscle but doesn’t all muscle need a tendon to attach to bone?

Even though I’m sure that they have a scientific name for that tendon because they have a name for EVERY part of the muscle (I’m in Anatomy right now and we had to learn most of this, long painful nights of studying thats all I have to say) lol

The wikipedia post said where it attaches but didn’t give a clear definition of where it originates and inserts. I tried finding a picture and this is the best one I could find.

If you follow the brachio-radialis and the extensor carpi radialis longus muscles you see that it goes straight to a point in between the biceps and triceps. This is just a superficial view of the muscles in the arm. They didn’t have a superficial/deep view. All the deep views took the brachio/etc off.

Not that we are really answering this guys question more like our own :stuck_out_tongue: lol

well this took me about 8 minutes hopefully the OP did the same…

[/quote]

I saw this picture as well, but it was to tiny to read.

Yeah Pat, 9-12 days lay off for a strain, a bad one that gets cortisone in. isn’t long!

If it is getting better - you are on the right path. Rest it totally until it doesnt hurt any more, maybe give it a light massage on the spot it hurts each night or whenever you do the ICE, not to pain, but so you know you are hitting the area, and it feels good not bad y’know?? (that isn’t patronising!)

And ICE is good, rest is good, massage is good, NSAID’s are ok if you want/need them, keep protein high and EFA’s.

When you are ready to start training again… build up slowly.
I am going to assume this was a type 2 strain (medium to severe) and in that case i would suggest that you do a total lay off for the time being (get those legs up to par!), i would recommend some light strethes if you feel it is upto it, or some non-weighted wrist curls, reverse curls, hammer curls, supinate/pronate etc etc(whatever works the area) real gently, just to get the feeling it is working lightly, nothing strenuous at all.

Then the first 2 weeks you are back, do plenty of re-hab exercises for the area, wrist exercises, reverse curls, thor’s (thanks CT!) hammer, hammer curls etc… alongside your HEFTY leg workout(!), then ease it back into the heavy stuff slowly, or it may “rip” again before it has healed.

Once it has, it could be stronger there than before, if you have done the recovery process justice with the massage, exercises, stretches etc… so thats good news!

This is all basic rehab stuff, but works - someone may have some more for you…

Joe

Pat, have you got tennis elbow?

OMG!! great question!! lol! i didnt even think to ask!

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:
12 days is NOT a long layoff.

I also dount it was a grade II or there would be CONSIDERABLE weakness, due to torn muscle fibers. It’s more likely to be overuse, causing degenerative changes.

If it is the musculotendonous or tendinous portion of the muscle, its bloodflow and hence healing abilities are compromised.

Cortisone shots are the devils own version of steroids. They fuck you up and give almost nothing back. Avoid at all costs.

Cross-friction on the tendon and dry needling in the myotend. junction should help as should HEAT (to increase bloodflow and speed up healing) and more rest.

Finally, to almost eliminate the brachiorad. from activity during exercise, perform ONLY supinated grip exercises.

Trust, me I’m suffering this myself, but supinated grip BB rows, etc are still doing the job.

Hammer curls, etc are OUT, until the area is fully healed.

Bushy[/quote]

Yes, the weakness is related to the pain only, I could gut through it, but I know that would be a set back. The cortisone shots did great, but it “fixed” it to a point and stopped, but it did not get worse after. I have been performing most of my pulling exercises with a supinated grip as well as keeping all curling exercises light enough to prevent further aggravation, but I guess some discomfort is to be expected.
The NSAID’s keep me moving. I think keeping the inflammation down as much as possible is critical to getting this thing fixed, I am just surprised at how long it takes. I have never had on draw this long.

12 days is agonizingly long for me for a lay-off. As long as it keeps getting better, I guess I am going to keep on trucking, I do not want to take a month off or something like that, unless there is no other choice. I making tremendous progress despite the injury so it’s hard to wrap my mind around not training, or training the lower half only, or getting my cardio on.

What I found interesting was your suggestion of heat. Most suggestions have centered around getting it cold, vs. heat. The argument was that while heat does increase blood flow, it also increases inflammation. But cold, while decreasing inflammation, also decreases blood flow. I might try heat again though now that the pain is more manageable. Perhaps, the NSAID’s will beat down the inflamation while the heat increases blood flow.

Anybody have a used hyperbaric chamber I could borrow? I heard it works for T.O.

Thanks for the discussion guys. It gave me some more insight into the problem; which is what I wanted.

[quote]Old Dax wrote:
Pat, have you got tennis elbow?[/quote]

No, I spank my monkey bilaterally. :slight_smile:

I have that exact same problem, just not that bad. I found that doing farmer’s walks before the pullups really help warm up the tendons, so now I don’t get that pain anymore.

Jim

In the cold/heat war… you are right… but with both, it is temporary, so the hot/cold contrasts work best… 3-5mins hot-3-5mins cold, repeat. repeat. repeat! etc.

After a few mins of cold, the vaso-constriction and reduction of swelling is reduced and you begin to vaso-dilate and inc. sweiling - then you apply the heat… for the equal amount of time… and repeat. I do an hour but 15-20mins is enough, 3 times a day.

See?

Joe

EDIT: sorry, i saw Bushy’s answer, and it is much more accurate and thorough. Go with that… But the info. on hot/cold contrasts is still good!

Joe