Forearm Repetitive Stress Injury from Curls?

You know that discomfort you get in your outer forearm/wrist flexors when you curl with a straight bar instead of the e-z bar? Lately it’s gotten worse, even if I use dumbbells and put my wrists in the best position possible.

Is this a repetitive stress injury? It really sucks, since I haven’t gotten a good arm workout in a long time. Recently I stopped curling or doing anything forearm intensive for 2 weeks, but after starting again it hasn’t seemed to help very much.

I’ve also read deep tissue massage might help. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to overcome it?

Sounds like tendinitis

from what it sounds like, i get this exact same pain when i use straight bars for curls on a regular basis. Personally, i stop doing all curls for a couple weeks, slowly bring in hammer curls, then bring in reg. curls when i can’t feel anymore more pain. and i only ever use DB’s now and i never get that forearm pain.

[quote]kfol wrote:
You know that discomfort you get in your outer forearm/wrist flexors when you curl with a straight bar instead of the e-z bar? Lately it’s gotten worse, even if I use dumbbells and put my wrists in the best position possible.

Is this a repetitive stress injury? It really sucks, since I haven’t gotten a good arm workout in a long time. Recently I stopped curling or doing anything forearm intensive for 2 weeks, but after starting again it hasn’t seemed to help very much.

I’ve also read deep tissue massage might help. Has anyone else had this problem and managed to overcome it?[/quote]

We all get this. 6 years later and curling like a beast, i still get this.

If i were you, i’d ease up on the volume of work you do on straight bars. I’d never start my biceps off on a straight bar either, get warmed up first on somat else, Cable curls is a good one, do a coupla heavy sets and finish off with 1 or 2 sets on a straight bar to make sure you get the required supination. Biceps shouldnt need more than that.

I dont get pain anymore, not even on heavy days, i’m pretty sure its the volume that gets you in the end.

Sec

Tennis elbow?

take a look @ this article:

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/25/phys-ed-an-easy-fix-for-tennis-elbow/

this worked for me

@OP
In addition to what’s been already said:
google up trigger point therapy. Maybe you got a few trigger points. Can cause a world of pain.
Verify this, shouldn’t take more than 15min. It’s easy, albeit a bit painful.

All you need is your supported thumb.

op

does it feel like a stress fracture on the medial aspect of your ulna??

its not tennis elbow, but similiar. Its whats known a a chroic elbow flexor inflammation. Its caused by overuse, also the friction between flexor muscles during contraction and the repeated stress along individual sarcolemma. the only full proof cure is rest and something called RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation)
yes you may have rested ie? no direct arm work

but how many other exercises are the forearms invloved in??

RICER and trigger point therapy