Forearm Pain...

I am lifting heaving. I have pain in my forearms. I can handle the weight except my forearms can’t. Is there something I can do to fix this? The pain resides two inches from my wrist and stop at the end of my elbows.
I would appreciate any comments.
Shoulder press, shrugs, bench press are some examples of exercises where my forearms are hurting when I am lifting heavy. I am open to anything.

get lifting straps for the heavy lifts…

The pain:
Try turmeric root and cherry Juice (pure black juice), Ginger root and Omega-3 essential fatty acids. Found in fish oils this will (may) help with the pain and inflammation from lifting…

Also consider Acupuncture, works for me…

Try stretching your fingertips back towards your wrists. Next, stretch your fingertips forwards towards your wrists. If you post your fingers pointing upwards on a vertical flat surface above shoulder height you can get a good stretch the first way mentioned. If you post your fingers pointing downwards around waist level on a vertical flat surface you can get a good stretch the second way noted.
Good luck.

I used to get pain in my forearms under similar circumstances. What seems to be working for me (no forearm pain for past few months) was to give up on wrist wraps and gloves and elbow tubes, reduce weights to where I was comfortable without the supporting gear, perform more reverse-grip work, and take my time getting back up to heavier weights.

Compromised grip really sucks.

I had ( and still have) similar pains. Initially I thought it was caused by barbell curls and straining the forearms with excessive weight.

After several months the pain was still evident and even pushing my hands together (praying style) caused a fair amount of pain.

Finally went to the Doc who diagnosed a strain similar to tennis elbow but I can’t remember the name he used. He prescribed Piroxicam for a month and said it should subside. It has, to an extent, but bicep curls still hurt so I avoid them. Hopefully it’ll get better soon.

[quote]fullblown69 wrote:
I am lifting heaving. I have pain in my forearms. I can handle the weight except my forearms can’t. Is there something I can do to fix this? The pain resides two inches from my wrist and stop at the end of my elbows.
I would appreciate any comments.
Shoulder press, shrugs, bench press are some examples of exercises where my forearms are hurting when I am lifting heavy. I am open to anything.
[/quote]

This sounds like a problem with the brachioradialus, which extends the hand. Standard muscle injury therapies apply. Give it a rest, support healing with nutrition.

I’m not a fan of NSAIDS (like Piroxicam). The New England Journal of Medicine reports that NSAIDS cause over 16,500 deaths and over 103,000 hospitalizations per year in the US. I think you’re much better off treating inflammation with Fish Oil and proteolytic enzymes like Vitalzym.

If the problem persists, then you have to start looking at systemic issues and delve deeper into inflammation issues as well as the possibility of a bone injury.

I have also always had this problem. The way i solve it is first… let it heal (a month or so). When i get back to lifting (especially curls), i go much slower on the curls instead of doing a quick hmmph motion (u know what i mean) from a fully extended position.

The slow curl along with not letting your arm fully straighten (keep it at atleast a 20-30%ange on the downstroke). A muscle is most effective at doing work above these angles of incidence anyhow). Lower (arm almost straight on the 180 or 0 plane) angles put too much stress on the insertion point of your muscle to bone (tendon) and this is why i think the injury is so common.

I have no problem whatsoever when i do it this way. Before it was an agonizing ongoing problem for years which i couldnt figure out how to fix.

Give it a try.

I have had forearm pain after any heavy curling movement on and off for years.I would stop curling and the pain would go away but start again when I’d start going heavy again.
I have been reading the rehabilitation articles like shoulder savers 1,2 and 3 and after doing a couple of the exercises they recommend my forearm pain has gone.I think it was actually a shoulder problem pinching a nerve and I was getting referred pain down along the top of the forearm from it.
I have only been a member of this site for a little while and it has already fixed a decade long problem.It’s amazing the info you can find in the past articles.
Good luck with your problem 'cause I know the feeling

[quote]1PUMPCHUMP wrote:
I have also always had this problem. The way i solve it is first… let it heal (a month or so). When i get back to lifting (especially curls), i go much slower on the curls instead of doing a quick hmmph motion (u know what i mean) from a fully extended position.

The slow curl along with not letting your arm fully straighten (keep it at atleast a 20-30%ange on the downstroke). A muscle is most effective at doing work above these angles of incidence anyhow). Lower (arm almost straight on the 180 or 0 plane) angles put too much stress on the insertion point of your muscle to bone (tendon) and this is why i think the injury is so common.

I have no problem whatsoever when i do it this way. Before it was an agonizing ongoing problem for years which i couldnt figure out how to fix.

Give it a try.

[/quote]

Yeah, I think you’ve hit the nail on the head mate. I only took the Peroxicam on the advice of the Doc and after several months of recouperation failed to alleviate the problem.

Far better to avoid the the drugs and renovate the lifting style to avoid irritating the arms. It does stop max effort lifts IMO though and that’s a shame. Shit happens, move on…

Hi i’m new here but not to training
started in 79 was having a similar problem
i solved it by using 24inch wrist wraps
and a 250lb pair of heavy grips now no more wrist pain.

Try icing your arms. Not just after lifting but anytime. It calms inflammation. good luck

Try using false grip in your exercises. That helped me.