T Nation

Forearm Pain in Specific Area

According to wikipedia, I have pain in my left-handed flexor digitorum profundus:

the picture on the left, right where the muscle meets the bone.

It hurts when I do any sort of supination, especially barbell or preacher curls.

However, it does NOT hurt at all with any sort of pronation, and I can perform hammer curls and reverse BB curls ad nauseum.

Any ideas on what to do about this pain? How to fix it, exercises to continue to use/not use…etc?

This is really common and has been asked many times. Try a search.

There is a post in t-cell named forearm pain which I think ask the exact same question.

I have the same issue. I’ve rested my arms for over 4 months(by not curling) but it always comes back. If I curl alot(2x or more a week) it gets really bad.

From my experience, I just have to stick to DB Curls, their variations and stay away from the bar.

If bushidobadboy checks out this thread you will have a dagnosis right quick.The guy knows his shit.He diagnosed my baker’s cyst to a “t”.Hope this helps.

[quote]hardgnr wrote:
This is really common and has been asked many times. Try a search.

There is a post in t-cell named forearm pain which I think ask the exact same question.

I have the same issue. I’ve rested my arms for over 4 months(by not curling) but it always comes back. If I curl alot(2x or more a week) it gets really bad.

From my experience, I just have to stick to DB Curls, their variations and stay away from the bar.[/quote]

yeah i actually did a search but most of the people had problems in their flexor carpi, whereas i know mine is a deeper muscle problem, hence a new thread. i know i have to stick to hammer and reverse grips, i’m just wondering how it happened, why only my left arm, and how to fix it (ie forearm work, rice, nsaids, etc)

Advil got rid of it for me, in a week. Left arm too, right where that picture highlights it in blue. It hurt while pushing, pulling or curling, now it’s better.

I know the bottle says only take two per day, but I took 2 Advil PM before bed and two regular Advil about 12 hours later. The key is keeping the stuff in your system for long enough to alleviate the inflammation, and take it with food.

I did this for a week or so while doing things that didn’t aggravate it. Like you said, hammers were not an issue, so I did everything with a neutral grip that week, and legs twice.

I have the same exact problem and it’s been bugging the hell out of me the last month. I agree that ibuprofen helps significantly, but personally it doesn’t bother me nearly as much while I’m lifting (in fact I barely notice it) compared to before or after lifting.

It mostly hurts in my left arm, and I presume it’s the same for you since maybe your left arm is a little weaker than your right just like mine. I too would really like to hear bushidobadboy’s input on this.

Since November I have pain like yours. From January a do the Huge in a Hurry from Chad, do a lot of streching a the end of my lift, and the pain is almost gone. I would says that in 5 weeks of training with Chad’s books it’s going in the right direction. It’s the exercises that are now probably more well balance or the streching that before I wasn’t doing.
Keep going it can be a lot better even if you keep your exercises.

I used to have it. Got my forearms stronger and kept on doing curls, chinups etc and the pain never came back.

Try really strengthening your forearms. Fat bar deadlifts & rows, towel chins, be creative.

From that picture, only a portion of the profundus is showing, and that is the posterior portion. The profundus is deep in the anterior part of your forearm. But one thing to note is that you may simply have an inflammed supinator muscle.

If you have on of those Thor’s hammers, which is basically a one sided dumbell, try holding your elbow 90 degrees to you body and just supinating while holding it loaded heavy. Do a set or 2 of that and see if it reproduces the pain. If it does that could be a sign for supinator inflammation.

Rest it up, through some ice on it for a couple times a day and take some advil or aleve. The supinator is right below the anterior portion of your elbow just so you know. Let me know how it goes.

Something that helped me besides the obvious gym stuff was too buy one of those wrist supports for the mouse while you are at the computer. Really helped keep my forearm relaxed and made the pain DRASTICALLY go down. I highly recommend getting one. Your pain is pretty much the same location I had mine.

Look in to trigger point therapy, tennis ball massage in the forearms, triceps and neck.

Strengthen forearms and grip.

Stretch forearms frequently.

Limit time on computer.