T Nation

Forearm Pain During Curls?

I have noticed this pain in my forearm, i don’t think it is elbow tendents because it happens in the middle of my forearm and to the side, i kinda have been getting this pain when doing curls, its like my bones are about to crack after a finish a couple of sets.

i use a ez bar, and i have tried a straight bar but that gives me even more pain and even in my wrists…what is this?

also i notice that nothing happens if i do reverse curls, so i guess i might cut out the normal curls and just go heavy on revuerse curls, and weighted chins

Switch over to hammer curls. Do forearm work and balance biceps/triceps with each other. I had the same problem, it went away like this and I even got a lot stronger in curls by doing forearms.

[quote]mrl179 wrote:
I have noticed this pain in my forearm, i don’t think it is elbow tendents because it happens in the middle of my forearm and to the side, i kinda have been getting this pain when doing curls, its like my bones are about to crack after a finish a couple of sets.

i use a ez bar, and i have tried a straight bar but that gives me even more pain and even in my wrists…what is this?

also i notice that nothing happens if i do reverse curls, so i guess i might cut out the normal curls and just go heavy on revuerse curls, and weighted chins[/quote]

I would move to reverse curls and throw in reverse wrist curls.
You’ll notice your wrists will come good pretty quickly.

[quote]mrl179 wrote:

also i notice that nothing happens if i do reverse curls, so i guess i might cut out the normal curls and just go heavy on revuerse curls, and weighted chins[/quote]

I’m guessing that when you curl you have your wrists bent towards you, this will recruit your forearms and if they are weaker than your biceps they will give out first. All you need to do is bend your wrists away from you which takes your forearms out of the movement (you will need to drop the weight).

You wouldn’t get this with reverse curls as you wrists tend to stay neutral when you do these (although now that I think of it a hybrid wrist curl and reverse curl sounds quite good, I’ll have to try it tomorrow). Stick with the curls, just take your forearms out of the movement.

[quote]mrl179 wrote:

I have exactly the same thing, so your not alone you should maybe see someone about this

I have the same thing. I stopped doing bicep curls with bars for awhile and just did hammer curls. Though I did do one set every now and again with light weight to help get my bones accustomed to that stress. I also did what some other people have suggested and worked on my forearm muscles.

I am able to do a lot more weight when curling with a bar and not feel that discomfort, though I still get the bone bending sensation when I max out. It’s just another thing you have to build up (forearm muscle / bone strength)

Happened to me too. Once I got to 120 on BB curls my forearms felt really bad. You just have to find a way to work them without such high weight, which is not to hard to do. Your forearms will probably catch up a bit in 6 months and you can do a few weeks of BB curls again until your forearms start to hurt.

yeah this happens to me too when doing the preacher curls but i get the pain on the wrist