T Nation

Forearm Bones Aching

I took a 2-month break from any barbell work for biceps, and when I come back to doing them in my routine, sure my biceps are stronger on the lifts, but my forearms feel like they’re going to break in half. (exaggerating, but still) The bone just feels really achy like it’s been stressed. I tried using an EZ Curl bar, but that did not help, whether I used the inside or outside of the EZ Curl bar. The aching of my forearms lasts for a few days afterwards as well.

Has anyone else experienced this?

forearm splints, lay off barbells for a bit and do something else.

Try hammer curls with two dumbbells.

I have. I found that a couple sets of wrist curls for me helped me. I hope it will do the same for you.

get deep penatration acupuncture on your flexors. that cured my sypmotoms instantly.

Work your forearms.
And lay of the barbell for some time.

stretch out the extensors and flexors in your forearms if its muscular. if its feel that it’s actually the bone that hurts, increase fish oil intake, vit. C, and calcium and talk to a doc.

[quote]ironjoe wrote:
stretch out the extensors and flexors in your forearms if its muscular. if its feel that it’s actually the bone that hurts, increase fish oil intake, vit. C, and calcium and talk to a doc.[/quote]

Already take in more calcium than what’s healthy. I ran out of multi-vitamins and I’ve been kinda broke being a college student and all, and I’ve been laying off the fish oil ever since one of the capsules nailed my gag reflex and (you get the rest). I’ll start taking the other two again.

Get some trigger point therapy done.

Start at the superior end of your forearm and press with the tip of your thumb in your extensors Work superior to inferior, and laterally to medially. You will definitely find some sore areas that will most likely refer pain to your wrist/elbow.

Do the same with your flexors.

Make a note of where the points are at and have them treated by a massage therapist.

[quote]drummerofgod89 wrote:
The bone just feels really achy like it’s been stressed.[/quote]

That’s no shock - your bones ARE being stressed. Weight training delivers mechanical stress to bones, which is why it is a good tool for preventing osteoporosis.

The reason your bones hurt is because they hold a slight degree of elasticity to them (aiding in injury prevention), so my guess is that the pain you are feeling is the result of a slight (imperceptible to the naked eye) bending of the bone as a result of the higher weights you are curling due to your stronger biceps.

The fact that you haven’t curled in a while is evidence of this - heavy barbell work places a unique stress on the bones in your forearms compared to most other lifts, so it makes sense that your forearms haven’t developed accordingly during your hiatus from curls.

It happens all the time (happened to me a couple weeks ago, actually). I don’t know how long it has been going on for you, but quality diet/rest should take care of the problem within a week or so. If not, then lower the weight, increase the reps, and build back up slowly.

Hope this helps.

I’ve experienced this at one point, maybe two years ago. It wouldn’t hurt while doing the BB curls, but as soon as I put the bar down (ez or straight) I would feel this “rush” of pain in my forearms. It felt as if it was the bone, not the muscle.

I no longer have this and dont really remember what I did, if anything, to prevent the pain from returning but it was a bitch when I had it.

[quote]anonym wrote:
drummerofgod89 wrote:
The bone just feels really achy like it’s been stressed.

That’s no shock - your bones ARE being stressed. Weight training delivers mechanical stress to bones, which is why it is a good tool for preventing osteoporosis.

The reason your bones hurt is because they hold a slight degree of elasticity to them (aiding in injury prevention), so my guess is that the pain you are feeling is the result of a slight (imperceptible to the naked eye) bending of the bone as a result of the higher weights you are curling due to your stronger biceps.

The fact that you haven’t curled in a while is evidence of this - heavy barbell work places a unique stress on the bones in your forearms compared to most other lifts, so it makes sense that your forearms haven’t developed accordingly during your hiatus from curls.

It happens all the time (happened to me a couple weeks ago, actually). I don’t know how long it has been going on for you, but quality diet/rest should take care of the problem within a week or so. If not, then lower the weight, increase the reps, and build back up slowly.

Hope this helps.[/quote]

I never have done many curls in the first place. This is my first-ever bulk and as a newbie to gaining muscle, I took advantage of the full body workouts consisting of mainly compound movements and very rarely a little bit of isolation.

There’s those big arms, small torso guys out there, and then there’s me, the opposite. I have a big torso, but I don’t have the arms to match. In realization and admittance to this, I decided to add a pure arms day at about month 5 of my bulk. I believe this new stress began hurting my arms over time.

The pain may be a buildup over several weeks and the pain just happened to come when I began doing barbell work by coincidence or it could be from when I began doing barbell work. Dumbbells beforehand never gave my any real bone aching like the barbells did. Now when I even go to do dumbbell work, my forearms will begin hurting.

Do I need to strengthen my forearms? I suppose continual heavy lifting with my arms could possibly remedy this dilemma. By the way, my biceps aren’t that strong, I don’t think. I can curl 40 lbs per hand 6 - 8 times, which puts me at a max curl of around 100 with a barbell maybe.

[quote]MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I’ve experienced this at one point, maybe two years ago. It wouldn’t hurt while doing the BB curls, but as soon as I put the bar down (ez or straight) I would feel this “rush” of pain in my forearms. It felt as if it was the bone, not the muscle.

I no longer have this and dont really remember what I did, if anything, to prevent the pain from returning but it was a bitch when I had it.[/quote]

That was probably your bone moving itself back in place. Did the starting of the set hurt as well?

[quote]drummerofgod89 wrote:
MeinHerzBrennt wrote:
I’ve experienced this at one point, maybe two years ago. It wouldn’t hurt while doing the BB curls, but as soon as I put the bar down (ez or straight) I would feel this “rush” of pain in my forearms. It felt as if it was the bone, not the muscle.

I no longer have this and dont really remember what I did, if anything, to prevent the pain from returning but it was a bitch when I had it.

That was probably your bone moving itself back in place. Did the starting of the set hurt as well?[/quote]

No, only when I would put the bar down.

[quote]drummerofgod89 wrote:
The pain may be a buildup over several weeks and the pain just happened to come when I began doing barbell work by coincidence or it could be from when I began doing barbell work. Dumbbells beforehand never gave my any real bone aching like the barbells did. Now when I even go to do dumbbell work, my forearms will begin hurting.

Do I need to strengthen my forearms? I suppose continual heavy lifting with my arms could possibly remedy this dilemma. By the way, my biceps aren’t that strong, I don’t think. I can curl 40 lbs per hand 6 - 8 times, which puts me at a max curl of around 100 with a barbell maybe.[/quote]

Dumbbells never really hurt me, either. Just heavy barbell work.

If the problem is with the bones being stressed, it really is something that time/diet and rest will fix (as opposed to more “strengthening” work).

Continuing to lift heavy and “through the pain” probably isn’t the best idea, either - you can try backing off with the weight and increasing the reps for the next few weeks (what I did) or simply taking a little more time between workouts.

Drink your milk, too.

I have the same thing in my right arm. I started just pushing down on the spots that hurt with my thumb. For me it helped out a lot. Now i dont have as much pain. I am pushing really hard, pretty painfull. A couple times a day. And as it goes away, it wont actually hurt to push on the spot. This has been over the last couple months.

i know exactly what type of forearm pain u mean, i got the same feeling when i started doing heavy barbell curls . Ever since i bought writst wraps their has been no problem with my forearms. try em out , ims ure they will help

http://www.amazon.com/Valeo-Wrist-Wraps-Thumb-Loops/dp/B000BKTBQ8/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1205881272&sr=1-6

I have the same, although the pain was gone for quite a while as I had found the right form to keep it from getting too bad until I foolishly accepted the challenge to try a 1 RM barbell curl a week ago. Now I can barely shoot a basketball without pain- it’s on the “inside” of the forearm, middle.(palms facing you)

Take a break from barbell curls and add Flameout. When you ease back into them start off with a light to medium weight. If you feel the pain come back…stop. It will only get worse if you “man it out”

I had this pain as well and Flameout cured me in about a week.

Between sets take a 10 to 20lb dumbell and twist it back and forth while it is down at your side. Do this for about 30 reps on each side between each set of curls. This cured mine and I have not had it come back for years now.