Forcefully Giving Advice

So today I saw some guy in the gym deadlifting with some of the worst form EVER. I was cringing just watching him because I think he might have been rounding his upper back as hard as possible on purpose (Fuck if i know).

Anyways, i was doing complexes and could not just sit there and watch this kid destroy his back. So i walked over and told him that i NEVER give out advice unless I specifically ask for it, but i felt this was a special situation. I told him that he was going to fuck up his back if he continued.

After that I explained to the guy that I didn’t mean to offend him or anything and admitted I would have been mad if some guy walked up to me and gave advice. I even offered to help him and said I would not mind one bit doing so. (He mumbles something)

So after that I saw the guy racking the weights and walked off, didn’t do one more set after that. I felt kind of bad for the guy since I wasn’t trying to run him off or anything, I was merely trying to help. I thought this was a weird reaction because I’m not a threatening guy or anything and by no means big, I was just trying to help this guy not get hurt.

/Cool story bro

So anyways, I was wondering if anyone had any stories of times they felt compelled to give advice to someone fucking up too badly.

Honestly, if the kid looked like he was going to destroy his back, I don’t see anything wrong with what you did. I probably would’ve done the same. But I guess I could see how he could feel offended or something too…possibly emasculated.

I usually zone out and don’t see or hear anything else when I’m in the gym so I pretty much never see what anyone else is doing, haha. The only time I will give advice is if it’s a little kid in there by himself just blatantly doing stupid stuff.

[quote]jahall wrote:
I thought this was a weird reaction because I’m not a threatening guy or anything and by no means big, I was just trying to help this guy not get hurt.

[/quote]

This is the problem. I’d be much more receptive to a rather large fellow giving me advice because his size gives me a pretty good feeling he knows what he’s talking about. If some scrawny runt comes up to me and criticizes my form I’m going to smile and nod. Then if he persists I’m going to tell him to fuck off, because there is no indication he knows good form any better than I.

Leave people alone at the gym.

/thread

There was this one time I was in the gym deadlifting with great form and this guy came up to me saying I was rounding my back. This guy was by no means big. He kept saying he was just trying to save me from getting hurt. What a dick :wink:

[quote]polo77j wrote:
There was this one time I was in the gym deadlifting with great form and this guy came up to me saying I was rounding my back. This guy was by no means big. He kept saying he was just trying to save me from getting hurt. What a dick ;)[/quote]

A parody thread within the original thread itself? And by the fourth reply, no less…

Polo, good Sir: you have taken it to the next level.

I don’t normally get involved in such topics but in this case I feel i will save you from a lot of trouble. Don’t ever give anyone advise on any topic or any circumstance for any reason. Just mind your own business.

I was in this thread reading about some guy giving deadlift advice when this dick came in and tried to start a parody on the 5th post. I mean he wasn’t even funny, who does he think he is trying to pull off a parody this soon?

[quote]on edge wrote:
I don’t normally get involved in such topics but in this case I feel i will save you from a lot of trouble. Don’t ever give anyone advise on any topic or any circumstance for any reason. Just mind your own business.[/quote]

I would advise you not to say such things…

[quote]ADvanced TS wrote:
I was in this thread reading about some guy giving deadlift advice when this dick came in and tried to start a parody on the 5th post. I mean he wasn’t even funny, who does he think he is trying to pull off a parody this soon?[/quote]

You just blew my fucking mind, man. Usually the parody is of non-present person, but you’ve parodied yourself…Jesus my head is spinning.

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
I don’t normally get involved in such topics but in this case I feel i will save you from a lot of trouble. Don’t ever give anyone advise on any topic or any circumstance for any reason. Just mind your own business.[/quote]

I would advise you not to say such things…[/quote]

Well played, sir.

[quote]JonEightPackGuy wrote:
Leave people alone at the gym.

/thread[/quote]
x2
I don’t know if it’s just my gym, or the “Minnesota Nice” thing, but it seems like EVERYbody wants to strike up a 20 minute conversation between sets…

Has no relevance to giving advice, but I still wish people would keep to themselves more often in the gym.

People do not want to be told they are doing it wrong. I don’t say shit to people unless they come to me. The ONLY time I might say something is if the jackass is tearing up a piece of equipment I like to use and me being silent may just end up with me not being able to use that machine because they broke it. That’s it. I stopped caring whether someone injures themselves by being a jackass.

Unless you are WAYYYYYY bigger than the guy you are trying to give advice to, just shut up. Even then they don’t take criticism well…and the truth is, if you are that small, you likely don’t know what the hell you are talking about either.

How many times do newbs on this site tell us PRO BODYBUILDERS are lifting wrong? LOL!

[quote]jahall wrote:
So today I saw some guy in the gym deadlifting with some of the worst form EVER. I was cringing just watching him because I think he might have been rounding his upper back as hard as possible on purpose (Fuck if i know).

Anyways, i was doing complexes and could not just sit there and watch this kid destroy his back. So i walked over and told him that i NEVER give out advice unless I specifically ask for it, but i felt this was a special situation. I told him that he was going to fuck up his back if he continued.

After that I explained to the guy that I didn’t mean to offend him or anything and admitted I would have been mad if some guy walked up to me and gave advice. I even offered to help him and said I would not mind one bit doing so. (He mumbles something)

So after that I saw the guy racking the weights and walked off, didn’t do one more set after that. I felt kind of bad for the guy since I wasn’t trying to run him off or anything, I was merely trying to help. I thought this was a weird reaction because I’m not a threatening guy or anything and by no means big, I was just trying to help this guy not get hurt.

[/quote]

His name wasn’t Konstantin was it?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
People do not want to be told they are doing it wrong. I don’t say shit to people unless they come to me. The ONLY time I might say something is if the jackass is tearing up a piece of equipment I like to use and me being silent may just end up with me not being able to use that machine because they broke it. That’s it. I stopped caring whether someone injures themselves by being a jackass.

Unless you are WAYYYYYY bigger than the guy you are trying to give advice to, just shut up. Even then they don’t take criticism well…and the truth is, if you are that small, you likely don’t know what the hell you are talking about either.

How many times do newbs on this site tell us PRO BODYBUILDERS are lifting wrong? LOL![/quote]

Professor X and other similar reponses, I understand where you guys are coming from.

I understand no one wants to be told they are doing anything wrong ever and I even told the guy that I understand that (Hell i sure didn’t when i started out). But honestly I don’t see what being physically larger than him has to do with anything besides the fact that I haven’t put in the time and effort to get THAT big (With good form of course).

I never said i was a deadlift pro, but I can at least tell when someone is doing nothing but hurting themselves.

And It was probably a dick move but I was honestly just trying to save the guy from a fucked up back, and if he’ crying himself to sleep tonight from embarrassment then so be it, i probably won’t even do this again.

I also forgot to mention this is the only time i have ever done this, so don’t think i’m some punkass kid trying to tell guys bigger than me that their form is fucked up just because i’ve been on an internet forum. If anyone is doing squat rack curls or 1/8 squats i’ll be the last person to say anything.

EDIT: Didnt wanna triple post.

[quote]LankyMofo wrote:

[quote]jahall wrote:
I thought this was a weird reaction because I’m not a threatening guy or anything and by no means big, I was just trying to help this guy not get hurt.
[/quote]

This is the problem. I’d be much more receptive to a rather large fellow giving me advice because his size gives me a pretty good feeling he knows what he’s talking about. If some scrawny runt comes up to me and criticizes my form I’m going to smile and nod. Then if he persists I’m going to tell him to fuck off, because there is no indication he knows good form any better than I.[/quote]

Granted, I wouldn’t come up to your giant ass in the gym in the first place. I’ve never told someone bigger than me they were fucking up. And about 99% of the time people bigger than me know what the fuck they are doing, and even if they didn’t I wouldn’t say anything. I would probably be a lot more likely to bother you with questions about your routine than be THAT form nazi.

That being said I am bigger than the guy and he was very obviously a beginner.

[quote]tdubs wrote:

[quote]polo77j wrote:
There was this one time I was in the gym deadlifting with great form and this guy came up to me saying I was rounding my back. This guy was by no means big. He kept saying he was just trying to save me from getting hurt. What a dick ;)[/quote]

A parody thread within the original thread itself? And by the fourth reply, no less…

Polo, good Sir: you have taken it to the next level.[/quote]

C’mon polo, your better than that.

I don’t see anything wrong with telling someone that they are going to hurt themselves if they continue to use bad form. It’s not like he was criticizing the fact that the guy’s ass was too low at the start of the lift or something that is unimportant to someone that isn’t going to be competing in anything.

Worst thing that could happen is that he stays away from the power room of our gym (I’m jahall’s roommate) and one less person will be in the way. Oh well.

Although, I will say that since we’re in college, most people in the gym think that they’re invincible and that they can’t be doing anything wrong.

[quote]jahall wrote:
This is the problem. I’d be much more receptive to a rather large fellow giving me advice because his size gives me a pretty good feeling he knows what he’s talking about. If some scrawny runt comes up to me and criticizes my form I’m going to smile and nod. Then if he persists I’m going to tell him to fuck off, because there is no indication he knows good form any better than I.[/quote]

Granted, I wouldn’t come up to your giant ass in the gym in the first place. I’ve never told someone bigger than me they were fucking up. And about 99% of the time people bigger than me know what the fuck they are doing, and even if they didn’t I wouldn’t say anything. I would probably be a lot more likely to bother you with questions about your routine than be THAT form nazi.

That being said I am bigger than the guy and he was very obviously a beginner.[/quote]

Fair enough. I feel like (for some reason) intermediate trainers are the most receptive to being given advice. It seems like noobs are already so damn uncomfortable being there they don’t care if they’re doing it wrong, they just don’t want anyone to notice them.

On a related note, I once had an old guy critique my form on good mornings, telling me “that’s not the proper way to squat.”

Thanks, old man. I’ll be sure to remember that.

I was at an orgy last week and this dood was fucking this girlz up the butterhole…dipshit (literally and figuratively) hadn’t used any lube…I know he was going to hurt his cock sooner or later if he kept this up…Anyways, i was making out with She Say and pounding this Japanese girl from behing while she was singing karaoke and I could not just sit there and watch this kid destroy his dick.

So i walked over and told him that i NEVER give out advice unless I specifically ask for it, but i felt this was a special situation. I told him that he was going to fuck up his dick if he continued.

After that I explained to the guy that I didn’t mean to offend him or anything and admitted I would have been mad if some guy walked up to me while I was fuking some girlz buttholes and gave advice. I even offered to help him lube up his cock and said I would not mind one bit doing so. (He mumbles something)

So after that I saw the guy zipping the trousers and walked off, didn’t do one more ass after that. I felt kind of bad for the guy since I wasn’t trying to run him off or anything, I was merely trying to help. I thought this was a weird reaction because I’m not a threatening guy or anything and by no means well-hung, I was just trying to help this guy not get hurt.

[quote]sen say wrote:
I was at an orgy last week and this dood was fucking this girlz up the butterhole…dipshit (literally and figuratively) hadn’t used any lube…I know he was going to hurt his cock sooner or later if he kept this up…Anyways, i was making out with She Say and pounding this Japanese girl from behing while she was singing karaoke and I could not just sit there and watch this kid destroy his dick.

So i walked over and told him that i NEVER give out advice unless I specifically ask for it, but i felt this was a special situation. I told him that he was going to fuck up his dick if he continued.

After that I explained to the guy that I didn’t mean to offend him or anything and admitted I would have been mad if some guy walked up to me while I was fuking some girlz buttholes and gave advice. I even offered to help him lube up his cock and said I would not mind one bit doing so. (He mumbles something)

So after that I saw the guy zipping the trousers and walked off, didn’t do one more ass after that. I felt kind of bad for the guy since I wasn’t trying to run him off or anything, I was merely trying to help. I thought this was a weird reaction because I’m not a threatening guy or anything and by no means well-hung, I was just trying to help this guy not get hurt.
[/quote]

Well played sir claps /thread