T Nation

Forced to Be on a Liquid Diet

Hey to make a long story short, I did something really stupid and ended up messing up my mouth and a couple of teeth and have to be on a liquid diet for the next 6 weeks.

I was bulking before, but I’m guessing thats going to be pretty hard to do now that I can only have liquid. I got scraped up pretty badly to so I’m not going to go to the gym this weekend but I was thinking about starting up the Velocity diet on Monday. The only thing I’m afraid of is losing a lot of muscle.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I think you can still add weight while eating liquids only. Actually, it’s easier to get in more calories on a liquid diet. If you can lift and train, I’d do that.

There’s no need to go hypocaloric when your body is trying to recover from an injury.

[quote]itsthetimman wrote:
I think you can still add weight while eating liquids only. Actually, it’s easier to get in more calories on a liquid diet. If you can lift and train, I’d do that.

There’s no need to go hypocaloric when your body is trying to recover from an injury.[/quote]

Agreed. If I remember correctly, Berardi wrote in one of his articles that when injured, you’re actually supposed to increase you caloric intake slightly.

You have no business doing the Velocity diet at 165 lbs at 5’ll". You should be, just like you were, on a bulking diet.

If you’re unable to chew a great deal of food there are options. Oils (evoo, fish, coconut, macadamia nut, etc) will be a great use to you.

If you still can’t eat enough, perhaps thinking about a more strength oriented program is something you should do. Without a lot of time under tension, there won’t be as much muscle damage to recover (by eating) from. But you can still get as strong as an ox. Or at least a cow.

I’ve bulked up to about 180 now, right now my lifting program is 3xweek, total body 4 sets in the 6-8 rep range, and supersetted opposing muscle groups.

DO NOT do the V-Diet!!! Your healing up fool…your body needs A LOT of nourishment and rest.

Take it from personal experience mate :wink:

You can blitz cooked meat in a blender and drink it, a bit thick-but you can thin it a bit with milk.

Protein shakes + heavy cream.

fruit + milk + evoo + blender = the good stuff.

Alright thanks for the advice everybody!!!

So far today I’ve had this shake twice:
2 cups milk
2 tablespoons of peanut butter
1 banana
1 scoop whey

I had another shake with some coffee, milk and whey. A couple puddings, a yogurt, a lot of peanut butter, and some more milk. I tried some cottage cheese put i just couldn’t eat it.

Anymore shake ideas would be greatly appreciated

Any way this “something really stupid” might be on Youtube??

Just saying, it might be easier to give recommendations…

You need two things:

A blender, A lot of determination.

[quote]thenewguy wrote:
I had another shake with some coffee, milk and whey. A couple puddings, a yogurt, a lot of peanut butter, and some more milk. I tried some cottage cheese put i just couldn’t eat it.
[/quote]

Try putting 1/2 cup of Cottage cheese in a bowl, then throw a scoop of protein powder on there. Stir. Once you get used to the texture, it tastes like chocolate pudding.

Yeah a blender is definitely a godsend right now!

I tried some evoo in a shake today, at first I didn’t think it would be good at all, but I barely noticed it.

Just a few ideas for shakes:
Cream, coconut oil, olive oil, cottage cheese, oats, eggs/egg whites, gainer, peanut butter, bananas, etc.

And if you’re a real man, you could try blending in some slabs of steak. :stuck_out_tongue: