Force to Break a Hand

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
The first time I met Charlie Lysak, who is certified on the #3 and can close it 100 consecutive times (no that’s not a typo) [/quote]

I just want to make sure that I understand you. You are saying that this guy “Lysak” can close the Iron Mind number 3 gripper 100 times in a row? That is 100 times the two ends touch without stopping?

Please confirm this.

I know a kid (can’t qualify with number three grips or whatever) who has forearms as bit as most people’s thighs (no exaggeration). His dad is the most feared bouncer in the area.

This kid, Steve, doesn’t even really work out. He works construction, and eats a lot. I guess it’s genetics.

He could probably break your hand. I know he broke a football (not American) by gripping it with two hands, lightly for him.

[quote]dannyrat wrote:
I know a kid (can’t qualify with number three grips or whatever) who has forearms as bit as most people’s thighs (no exaggeration). His dad is the most feared bouncer in the area.

This kid, Steve, doesn’t even really work out. He works construction, and eats a lot. I guess it’s genetics.

He could probably break your hand. I know he broke a football (not American) by gripping it with two hands, lightly for him. [/quote]

I knew a kid who killed a lion with his bare hands, wore his skin as a trophy and then killed the Hydra, his name was Hercules. Nice kid, bit of a meathead, though he was always the strongest in the playground.

8lbs of pressure per square inch is the amount of pressure needed to break bone

[quote]vroom wrote:
Is it just me or is this a pointless meathead type of issue?
[/quote]

Absolutely it is, thats what makes it great

[quote]vroom wrote:

If you go around trying to squeeze the shit out of peoples hands when you meet them, doing the handshake thing, you are a complete asshole.[/quote]

If i met someone and we shook hands, then they tried to crush the shit out of me, i would simply ask them what the hell they were doing and probably call them an asshole.

Ed you’re a funny fucker.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
The first time I met Charlie Lysak, who is certified on the #3 and can close it 100 consecutive times (no that’s not a typo)

I just want to make sure that I understand you. You are saying that this guy “Lysak” can close the Iron Mind number 3 gripper 100 times in a row? That is 100 times the two ends touch without stopping?

Please confirm this.

[/quote]

I’m having a hard time believing that too. The spring would warp. I tried that with one of my Ironmind grippers and it’s now worthless.

Not that I don’t believe it can be done (after all, I know of 2 guys who have bent 100 red nails in a single session), but he’d go through 2 or 3 grippers in the process. That gets expensive quickly.

[quote]OneEye wrote:
ZEB wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
The first time I met Charlie Lysak, who is certified on the #3 and can close it 100 consecutive times (no that’s not a typo)

Please confirm this.

I’m having a hard time believing that too. The spring would warp. I tried that with one of my Ironmind grippers and it’s now worthless.

Not that I don’t believe it can be done (after all, I know of 2 guys who have bent 100 red nails in a single session), but he’d go through 2 or 3 grippers in the process. That gets expensive quickly.[/quote]

These things shouldn’t be “wearing out” - they do “wear in” a bit but shouldn’t wear out. When you say useless, what happened? Is it now really loose? Did the spring snap? Iron/steel isn’t perfect and if you dropped it a lot it could get a fracture and eventually snap, but it should not be getting soft/weak or whatever you are saying.

I do not however like them much, the spring orientation sucks.

It is possible to break someone’s hand, but not before they scream like a girl.

[quote]
Re do? Who gives a re do? Re do’s are sissy. You get one shot and if you fuck it up then you are branded limpington. No exceptions.[/quote]

False. Many a time I’ll meet some stupid kid who doesn’t know how to shake a hand and our thumb to index finger troughs dont touch, causing an uneven and unfair handshake. This is very disappointing, and I will usually be the one to propose a redo just to allow my new acquaintance a second chance to establish himself.

[quote]supfrochild wrote:

Re do? Who gives a re do? Re do’s are sissy. You get one shot and if you fuck it up then you are branded limpington. No exceptions.

False. Many a time I’ll meet some stupid kid who doesn’t know how to shake a hand and our thumb to index finger troughs dont touch, causing an uneven and unfair handshake. This is very disappointing, and I will usually be the one to propose a redo just to allow my new acquaintance a second chance to establish himself.[/quote]

Exactly! Thanks.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
OneEye wrote:
ZEB wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:

Please confirm this.

Not that I don’t believe it can be done (after all, I know of 2 guys who have bent 100 red nails in a single session), but he’d go through 2 or 3 grippers in the process. That gets expensive quickly.

These things shouldn’t be “wearing out” - they do “wear in” a bit but shouldn’t wear out. When you say useless, what happened? Is it now really loose? Did the spring snap? Iron/steel isn’t perfect and if you dropped it a lot it could get a fracture and eventually snap, but it should not be getting soft/weak or whatever you are saying.

I do not however like them much, the spring orientation sucks.

It is possible to break someone’s hand, but not before they scream like a girl.

[/quote]

I assume it was the friction from closing it so many times in a row that heated the spring and caused it to warp. It now sits at less than a credit card set, and is much easier to close than it should be.

I mentioned it to the guys at Gripboard and they all said it was a stupid thing to do, and I ruined a good gripper. I guess it is possible that it was faulted to begin with, but it did get much weaker after I did that.

[quote]dannyrat wrote:

He could probably break your hand. I know he broke a football (not American) by gripping it with two hands, lightly for him. [/quote]

So his forearms are like 25 inches? Bigger than Ronnie’s upper arm? That’s cool. He can probably bench 1400 and close a COC #6.

Hey Cap’nsalty, I do agree with you about our hands having the same material. But just like with any workout whether it be benching, squatting, or using some type of grip strength equipment, your body’s bones will become much denser and stronger if you work that particular body part out. So someone’s hand can become harder to break than someone else’s.

[quote]superpimp wrote:
8lbs of pressure per square inch is the amount of pressure needed to break bone[/quote]

??? This is obviously wrong, if it were true your body would collapse on itself. It’s pretty easy to prove wrong too, just get something that weighs about eight pounds and has an end that occupies 1 inch by inch or less area. Rest it on any bone in your body, and tell me if said bone breaks.

Secondly that doesn’t make any sense, as different bones are stronger than others, there couldn’t possibly be one number across the board.

Finally, for any amount of pressure you could break bone if you have a long enough, thin enough bone.

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
superpimp wrote:

??? This is obviously wrong, if it were true your body would collapse on itself. It’s pretty easy to prove wrong too, just get something that weighs about eight pounds and has an end that occupies 1 inch by inch or less area. Rest it on any bone in your body, and tell me if said bone breaks.

Secondly that doesn’t make any sense, as different bones are stronger than others, there couldn’t possibly be one number across the board.

Finally, for any amount of pressure you could break bone if you have a long enough, thin enough bone.[/quote]

It depends on how fast that 8lbs of force is applied. Usually it is not applied very rapidly and there are mechanisms to absorb the force. Bones do vary in strengths and so do individuals.

However, it is surprisingly easy to break some people’s bones. A lot of old people break bones doing ordinary activities like opening a window. Obviously they have weakened bones but even middle aged people can be heading in this direction. And sedentary people with bad diets. Ironically fat people if they have one good thing going for them it is usually strong bones.

But you take a middle aged sedentary skinny guy vs a middle aged weightlifting strongman and a broken hand is very easy.

Especially if wearing rings (puts weird stress on the bones).

I knew a guy with an enormous hand and a bonecrushing grip that felt like he could easily crush your hand. So I gave him a Captn? crush number ONE to close and he couldn?t. Which goes to show that perceived handshake strength does not necessarily mean someone can close a powerful gripper. A very large hand has an advantage in crushing another, smaller hand.

It also implies to me that someone who CAN close a powerful gripper can / should be able to exert a very hard handshake. More likely though with healthy bones is you?ll compress the hand and all the joints will suffer rather than the bone breaking.

Bones are roughly twice as strong as concrete and 1/5th the strength of hard steel. They bend / give more than concrete but not as much as steel. They are pretty amazing structures. DRINK YOUR MILK!

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
To provide a simple example of this, take an object of one material and try to crush it with an object of the same material. (two rocks for example, or the graphite of a pencil, or whatever).[/quote]

I think in this example you are assuming since the objects are equal (bones vs bones, rocks vs rocks) that their density and strength is equal. As someone else pointed out one person’s bones can be very strong and thick and dense and someone else will have weak bones. Just think of osteoporosis for the example.

So if somebody like Kaz or someother example grabbed your hand, his bones are probably much stronger and thicker than yours and yours would break first. Just like hitting two sticks together, even if they are the same wood the thicker one will survive and the thin one breaks

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
cap’nsalty wrote:
superpimp wrote:

Finally, for any amount of pressure you could break bone if you have a long enough, thin enough bone.

It depends on how fast that 8lbs of force is applied. Usually it is not applied very rapidly and there are mechanisms to absorb the force. Bones do vary in strengths and so do individuals.
[/quote]

No it doesn’t. 8lbs per square inch is a pitifully small amount of force. I don’t know how to argue with someone who seems to understand pretty much nothing about physics.

[quote]vroom wrote:

If you go around trying to squeeze the shit out of peoples hands when you meet them, doing the handshake thing, you are a complete asshole.[/quote]

Not only that, but you’re likely to one day run into a guy with a scary crush grip who will teach you a lesson (not sure whether this would involve breaking bones in your hand or just causing you lots and lots of pain).

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:

No it doesn’t. 8lbs per square inch is a pitifully small amount of force. I don’t know how to argue with someone who seems to understand pretty much nothing about physics.
[/quote]

The atmosphere is 14.7 pounds per square inch at sea level. I think he’s a little confused.