T Nation

For What It's Worth...

Hey you. With the etched abs. Before you submit the picture of your emaciated 145 lb. frame, trying to flex bone, ask yourself something. What the hell are you doing? Your friend/girlfriend/father/teacher made some casual remark about how “fit” you are, and now you’re going to show the T-Nation your “gift?”

As it happens, a majority of T-Nation posters look better than the average sedentary individual. What does this mean? Absolutely nothing. Plenty of us, possibly you as well, looked “in shape” compared to your average joe before we even started lifting – we just had good genes. That doesn’t mean we get to post. Being superior to average people means little.

Being average among superior people…that’s an F’n accomplishment! The public at large at this site doesn’t care about 6-pack abs or pronounced vascularity in and of itself. Those will not make friends and influence people.

What matters here is big results… Coming a long way and looking like you’ve completed the journey. Simply looking “hawt” compared to the average couch potato IS NOT enough to get respect for your picture posts.

So use this site for what its intended purpose – read the articles posted by knowledgable professionals – people who have their M.S or PhD to be able to consult people like you! Read the Atomic Dogs to get a feel for what this “muscle culture” is all about. Read the forums and check out other people’s posts to see what a good picture post looks like.

Do these things, lift and eat heavy and one day you’ll really be ready to post – and you’ll know it.

I can’t believe you wasted your time.

Kiddin’ with ya, good post.

[quote]Fulmen wrote:
I can’t believe you wasted your time.

Kiddin’ with ya, good post.[/quote]

Agree on both points. Good post, but so sadly wasted.

Bbut hey, you know, I’m different from all those other 130lbs cutters. I actually HAVE fat. Ya know, right there, between my ab muscles. I mean, I can only see six of them, pathetic huh?

Seriously, good thread, but sadly, the above is how many would respond anyway.

Why do people CARE if 130lb kids are posting pictures of themselves?? Does it really matter? Does it offend you personally?

Everyone has a very easy choice on this forum, you can read a thread or not read it. If you don’t like what you see, DON’T FUCKIN READ IT and don’t leave a comment.

Its people who are so fuckin bent on bad mouthing skinny kids that ruin this place. Sure, I don’t appreciate the stupid skinny kids posting, but it doesn’t affect me. Its the people that flip out about it that fuckin ruin the forum.

Are you trying to feel like a big man by flaming noobs to bodybuilding? Everyone has to start somewhere, so fuckin what if they want to show off what little muscle they have.

Take out your fuckin tampon and stop crying if you see a non muscular kid posting. Guess what… most of them are looking for the fucking attention. Just DON’T RESPOND, ignore them, and they’ll go away.

Jesus FUCKING CHRIST… sigh, there we go. Just had to vent.

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
Why do people CARE if 130lb kids are posting pictures of themselves?? Does it really matter? Does it offend you personally?

Everyone has a very easy choice on this forum, you can read a thread or not read it. If you don’t like what you see, DON’T FUCKIN READ IT and don’t leave a comment.

Its people who are so fuckin bent on bad mouthing skinny kids that ruin this place. Sure, I don’t appreciate the stupid skinny kids posting, but it doesn’t affect me. Its the people that flip out about it that fuckin ruin the forum.

Are you trying to feel like a big man by flaming noobs to bodybuilding? Everyone has to start somewhere, so fuckin what if they want to show off what little muscle they have.

Take out your fuckin tampon and stop crying if you see a non muscular kid posting. Guess what… most of them are looking for the fucking attention. Just DON’T RESPOND, ignore them, and they’ll go away.

Jesus FUCKING CHRIST… sigh, there we go. Just had to vent.[/quote]

Sigh…okey-dokey…we’ll take it from the top.
Paragraph 1: No, it doesn’t matter. I’ll give you that.
Paragraph 2: Yes, if people don’t like such-and-such a thread, they can just leave it alone. If a new thread in this forum is called, “My 150-lb. cut” or some such silliness, then it should be left alone. Again, good point.
Paragraph 3: I don’t agree. Bad-mouthing skinny kids is unnecessary and it should be a bit different, but it’s not “what’s ruining this place.” Furthermore, “bad-mouthing” and “giving frank, unflattering advice” are different. By a long shot.
Paragraphs 4 & 5: I don’t flame “noobs.” If one of them posts something like what I discussed above, I politely point out what he can be doing better and wish him luck. If you’re going to make accusations, be a bit more careful. For someone who complains about excessive rudeness, you are thoughtless and ill-mannered. What I wrote above is a perfectly civil, helpful piece of advice with humor – because people like to laugh.
Paragraph 6: Don’t blaspheme.

P.S: If you don’t like my thread…

[quote]
SlothGuy wrote:
DON’T FUCKIN READ IT and don’t leave a comment.[/quote]
That is all.

[quote]Mr. Clean & Jerk wrote:
SlothGuy wrote:
Why do people CARE if 130lb kids are posting pictures of themselves?? Does it really matter? Does it offend you personally?

Everyone has a very easy choice on this forum, you can read a thread or not read it. If you don’t like what you see, DON’T FUCKIN READ IT and don’t leave a comment.

Its people who are so fuckin bent on bad mouthing skinny kids that ruin this place. Sure, I don’t appreciate the stupid skinny kids posting, but it doesn’t affect me. Its the people that flip out about it that fuckin ruin the forum.

Are you trying to feel like a big man by flaming noobs to bodybuilding? Everyone has to start somewhere, so fuckin what if they want to show off what little muscle they have.

Take out your fuckin tampon and stop crying if you see a non muscular kid posting. Guess what… most of them are looking for the fucking attention. Just DON’T RESPOND, ignore them, and they’ll go away.

Jesus FUCKING CHRIST… sigh, there we go. Just had to vent.

Sigh…okey-dokey…we’ll take it from the top.
Paragraph 1: No, it doesn’t matter. I’ll give you that.
Paragraph 2: Yes, if people don’t like such-and-such a thread, they can just leave it alone. If a new thread in this forum is called, “My 150-lb. cut” or some such silliness, then it should be left alone. Again, good point.
Paragraph 3: I don’t agree. Bad-mouthing skinny kids is unnecessary and it should be a bit different, but it’s not “what’s ruining this place.” Furthermore, “bad-mouthing” and “giving frank, unflattering advice” are different. By a long shot.
Paragraphs 4 & 5: I don’t flame “noobs.” If one of them posts something like what I discussed above, I politely point out what he can be doing better and wish him luck. If you’re going to make accusations, be a bit more careful. For someone who complains about excessive rudeness, you are thoughtless and ill-mannered. What I wrote above is a perfectly civil, helpful piece of advice with humor – because people like to laugh.
Paragraph 6: Don’t blaspheme.

P.S: If you don’t like my thread…

SlothGuy wrote:
DON’T FUCKIN READ IT and don’t leave a comment.
That is all.[/quote]

Best. Post.

As a note… I wasn’t necessarily referring to your thread specifically here Mr Clean and Jerk. I needed a place to vent. Your thread covered the subject of not allowing noobs to post so I felt it was a decent place.

You make some good points, but its the people who disagree with all the points I made that ruin this place.

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
You make some good points, but its the people who disagree with all the points I made that ruin this place.[/quote]

Those bastards, having different opinions than yours. How dare they?

Good thread, and I see how you are trying to foster and protect a serious and professional atmosphere catoring to the superior people. Overly skinny kids should be discouraged in a professional and curtious manner(like yours) which will help nurture serious testosterone filled site.

People like to hear any truth but the real one.

What worries me is the number of recent posters who seem to be coming here from “that other site”. Iv seen a couple of kids with 12 inch arms get praise for being “ripped” on here in the past couple of months. I am worried that the type of people who have been coming in recently will become the status quo and this will become just like that other site.

If the people who have been posting here for a while and actually have real progress to show stop “discouraging” these new kids from posting 135 lbs “progress” pictures all of the time, then there is nothing different from this site and bb.com, where 150 lbs is the new 230 lbs.

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
What worries me is the number of recent posters who seem to be coming here from “that other site”. Iv seen a couple of kids with 12 inch arms get praise for being “ripped” on here in the past couple of months. I am worried that the type of people who have been coming in recently will become the status quo and this will become just like that other site.

If the people who have been posting here for a while and actually have real progress to show stop “discouraging” these new kids from posting 135 lbs “progress” pictures all of the time, then there is nothing different from this site and bb.com, where 150 lbs is the new 230 lbs.[/quote]

Muy importante, hombre. However, one of the major differences that I see is that somewhere along the lines, the highly necessary criticism turns this place into a shark tank, of sorts.

Part of this anger is from prideful behavior coming from the guy who needed the advice, while the other part seems to be from other posters percieving the critiquing to be an invitation to a free-for-all against the goof-ball who posted a faux-pas (What is My Body Fat and Gym Parking Lot Punks, anyone?)

If these threads would just stop, then, to your point, 230 lbs. would still be 230 lbs. Amen. The standard of excellence is uncompromised. What is more, the hostility in this site would be limited to trolls, whose power will have been diminished and we can return to what matters – advice on growth FROM PEOPLE WHO HAVE DONE THE GROWING!

TC mentioned respected strength and bodybuilding coaches refusing to write for this site because “There’s too much hatred over there.” So, bluntly put, if the skinny guys shut up, then the guys worth listening to will put up.

Agreed.

I agree that needless flaming needs to stop. Flaming someone for recognizing that they need work and asking for advice is unnecessary and that needs to stop.

However, getting your panties in a wad every time someone tells a 135 lb kid who is posting pictures and wanting to cut to 130 that he should stop posting pictures and gain some weight instead of trying to lose it is a tad bit hypersensitive for a website with testosterone in its name.

It would be a good post if it hadn’t been done a hundred times before.

[quote]Zagman wrote:
… Overly skinny kids should be discouraged in a professional and curtious manner(like yours) which will help nurture serious testosterone filled site.
…[/quote]

Encourage them to lift. Encourage them to learn. Discourage them from posting pictures.

[quote]on edge wrote:
It would be a good post if it hadn’t been done a hundred times before.[/quote]

Disagreed – flaming subsided a bit following TC’s Atomic Dog on the subject. But once the mysterious flux of skinny “Hawt or Nawt” pictures flooded the forums (now that there are 2 different forums in which to perform this shameful vice,) the fire and the flames returned. Also, I explained the matter a bit more carefully than I’ve seen in past posts.

P.S: If you don’t like my thread…

[quote]SlothGuy wrote:
DON’T FUCKIN READ IT and don’t leave a comment.[/quote]

Hey Mr C&J, what do you C&J? Just wondering.

lol @ 150lbs ripped and 12inch arms :stuck_out_tongue:

Koing

[quote]fightingtiger wrote:
Agreed.

I agree that needless flaming needs to stop. Flaming someone for recognizing that they need work and asking for advice is unnecessary and that needs to stop.

However, getting your panties in a wad every time someone tells a 135 lb kid who is posting pictures and wanting to cut to 130 that he should stop posting pictures and gain some weight instead of trying to lose it is a tad bit hypersensitive for a website with testosterone in its name.[/quote]

No panties and no wads, here. But to the point of the site name, flame wars are like a massive caricature of testosterone – a manifestation of what the world at large incorrectly perceives about our very special chemical messenger. Few are those in the forum who haven’t had a friend or family member look over their shoulder while on this site, only for the person to burst out laughing at the name. To many, T stands for brawn without brains. It means juvenile, childish chest-thumping and insults closely akin to what is seen on our flame wars. To those people, I say, Do you look at a delicious glass of milk and see only the potential for spoiled, rancid curds? Why do the same for an essential hormone?

Catch you on the “Front Double Bi” thread. Never fails to slay me.

OP: Good post, although these issues have been discussed in length many times, I’ll throw in my thoughts.
I think the main issue with newbies posting pictures is their expectations. Too many expect to receive praise for the progress they have made, if they have made any at all.

Unfortunately, the truth is usually not what they are looking for. Rather than posting their goals, diet plan, training program, and stats for review, they just ask “what ya think?” Yeah, I’ve posted pics myself, but I didn’t expect the readers here to drop their jaws.

I provided my stats (and was actually honest), goals, diet, and training, got some advise and actually USED it. Thanks to this I’ve taken a good look and changed some things and feel I’m more on track. Plus it’s definitely provided a new level of motivation.

Every time I’m in the gym now I think “If I puss out on this workout, I’ll look exactly the same in 6 months” and who wants that? Not me. I’m, by no means, the “model T-Nation” member, but I think if some of these people change there attitude coming into it, their reception will be a lot more welcoming.

Saying things like “I know you guys know what you’re talking about…” and then constantly trying to debate the advise given; or asking a question that could easily be answered by using the search or reading some articles is just petty and unfortunate.

[quote]SARG wrote:
Saying things like “I know you guys know what you’re talking about…” and then constantly trying to debate the advise given; or asking a question that could easily be answered by using the search or reading some articles is just petty and unfortunate.[/quote]

Goodness, 'tis true. We get those types if we’re lucky. When we’re unlucky (most of the time,) we get a dude who shoots his mouth off when curtly informed that his paltry weight is not something to be proud of if you’re a bodybuilder. If we’re really unlucky, then he yells, “BUT I’M A POWERLIFTER, I DON’T TRAIN FOR AESTHETICS!!!” Then he goes back to post more front double bicep shots, looking no different than from before.

If they understood that their physique isn’t impressive among the truly impressive athletes here before posting pics, then they’d save themselves the humiliation of a “bad thread.” Then they wouldn’t be so defensive and emotional. I’ll cross my fingers.

Oh… and there really is no “Model T-Nation Member” (with the possible exception of Tiribulus.)