T Nation

For Us Broke College Kids...

I thought it might be interesting to show how even someone on a miniscule budget (college kids) can still find a way to eat clean. I personally buy plenty of canned tuna, get an oversized bag of almonds from sams, and buy lunch meat from dominicks or some other cheap deli. Anybody else got a suggestion or two?

Eggs. Milk. Ground Beef.

Oh, and go to Aldi.

get a slow cooker, make roasts, this will replace lunch meat with higher quality protein at the same price. sardines canned in water can be had at tuna prices, more omega 3 fats per serving, add a little olive oil and spices, nuts and veggies and you have a relatively cheap healthy meal.

purchase fruit and vegetables at a market. the price will be much lower than the grocery store.

get a part time job if you don’t have one. get a rich girlfriend (or boyfriend). for a how to, just ask yourself, what line would John Berardi use, then don’t use that one.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
…for a how to, just ask yourself, what line would John Berardi use, then don’t use that one.[/quote]

Hahaha. Not nice to rock on JB, but still funny. Next time replace it with TC though. Given his Atomic Dog adventures, it’s more fitting.

ive recently made best friends with a george foreman grill and sams club chicken breasts…

I pretty much do the same thing as you. Tons of canned meat (chicken and salmon are my staples), bigass bag of almonds or walnuts. I also steal shit like crazy from our cafe- mostly fruit and milk.

haha.hahahahaha. it’s funny cuz its true. george foremans and mass-sold chicken- that and frozen veggies, and you’re set :slight_smile:

Lunch meat is high in sodium, so I wouldn’t consider it clean. Light canned tuna as far as I know is better than normal canned tuna. You can get light canned tuna really cheap at costco.

Look for sales on whole wheat bread. They don’t happen often, but when they do, stock up and store it in your fridge. The bread doesn’t mold fast.

Brown rice can be very cheap if you shop at asian grocery stores. Just buy a good steamer. You can go online or get one at the grocery store. This appliance is not cheap.

George Forman Grill and a bag of chicken breasts is a good deal, but you might have problems with a big bag in those little fridges dorm rooms have.

Anabolic Diet- eggs, cheese, ground beef, some spinach, oil. For carbup oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bagels, etc.

Costs a little over $50 a week (depending how crazy you go on your carbup)…

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
get a part time job if you don’t have one. get a rich girlfriend (or boyfriend). for a how to, just ask yourself, what line would John Berardi use, then don’t use that one.

[/quote]

Berardi is a certified P I M P. He has to be one of the best, as he is always working on his game.

[quote]solidgk wrote:
Anabolic Diet- eggs, cheese, ground beef, some spinach, oil. For carbup oatmeal, sweet potatoes, bagels, etc.

Costs a little over $50 a week (depending how crazy you go on your carbup)…[/quote]

How much are you paying for ground beef, just out of curiousity? I’m back on the AD after a 8 week carbup.

I’ve written two articles on eating clean cheaply; you can find them at my site:

http://www.ericcressey.com/articles.html

I go to Villanova near Philly. My ground beef is 2.50 a pound at BJ’s. I also get frozen Purdue chicken 10 pound bags for $20. Almonds and walnuts also in large bags. Cottage cheese, frozen veggies, pretty much everything in bulk.

[quote]hockechamp14 wrote:
Berardi is a certified P I M P. He has to be one of the best, as he is always working on his game.[/quote]

i was just kidding, the reference was to the Inside-Out DVD pick up lines John busted out (for the record, the lower body mobility one kick’s ass - ok i only used it once)

john doesn’t need to work on his game, that’s just misdirection for the rest of us so he can mac on more ladies after the rest of us have scared them into his arms! i’ll bet his line is “Hello my name is John.” probably works all the time.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:
How much are you paying for ground beef, just out of curiousity? I’m back on the AD after a 8 week carbup.[/quote]

I’ve seen it as low as $2.50, and plan on eating a lb a day.