For Those Who Read Fitness Articles, Advice for a Writer?

That’s fine. There was just a big misunderstanding about what “an unproven guy writing on the Internet” meant.

The information they’re providing is useful and/or interesting and/or entertaining.

In a nutshell: Put out good shit and people will find you.

“Standing out” is a dangerous term, because some people stand out for the wrong reasons. You don’t want to go gimmicky, which is very easy to do in today’s social media world. Again, see nutshell above.

You’re getting ahead of yourself. First, determine your reader. If your target audience is “people who lift weights”, you’re finished before you begin.

The target demo for bodybuilding .com is different than the target demo for T Nation which is different from BoxLife which is different from Runner’s World. You don’t have to necessarily tailor your writing to what an audience wants, content-wise, but you do need to know who you’re talking to in the first place, otherwise you’ll be rambling and unfocused. Even if your target audience is “the 27-year old version of me”, it’s something.

Next (or arguably the real first priority), figure out why you’re writing. Do you have an intrinsic drive to share your unique knowledge? Is writing a promotional method to get more coaching clients? Are you just a chatty dude who enjoys writing? That’s going to influence everything from the topics you cover and publishing frequency to your tone.

After you know who you’re talking to and why, it’ll point you in the direction of what to say. If what you’re saying is really solid, readership will grow.

1 Like

Is your goal to have a big audience, to have street cred amongst the best in the industry, to entertain a tiny niche, something else? I think that is what you need to determine first and that can inform the next step.

Lots of people write about food, and movies and any other human endeavor. Most of them shouldn’t stand in the same room as the people that actually do the stuff they write about. That doesn’t mean they’re not adding value and the best ones often have terrible skills and mediocre results to show for their efforts.

1 Like

Relate-ability … look at you tube. You have allot of guys with big followings on there who in all reality are just slightly above average ( at least if you look at the demographic they are gunning for) Most beginners and average gym goers will relate more to a average size guy with some definition with say maybe a 315 max Bench over a guy who is a monster doing 500 plus.

Lesson 1: Don’t bury the lede.

2 Likes

This!
There are 10 million fitness blogs. Why do you want to make another one?

2 Likes

If you do not have the Letters behind your name to do rehab you are putting yourself at a huge liability. Don’t act like a ATC or PT if you are not certified to be one.

1 Like

I dunno; Dave Tate managed to turn that into something pretty significant.

It would depend though on approach. If you’re charging people for your services, you’re screwed. If you’re a guy writing about your own experiences, you’re an author.

I detailed my entire ACL reconstruction rehab process and shared it with lots of folks to positive feedback.

1 Like

I think some people would be interested in your experience lifting with and coaching your wife.

That can be super fun and rewarding or real stressful and traumatic.

Except a fitness blogger generally isn’t positioning themselves as just an author, they’re (often, though not always) expected to actually know what they’re talking about with some level of expertise.

So it also starts to depend more on how the info is presented. “This happened to me and here’s what I did, so if it happens to you, it might help” is very different than “If this hurts, do this. If this other thing hurts, do this other thing.”

In the AlphaDestiny thread a while back, I pointed out how the truly unqualified kid was randomly giving out dangerous advice to “treat” low back pain. That’s a prime worst case scenario.

3 Likes

I feel like we are agreeing with each other here.

1 Like

[quote=“T3hPwnisher, post:13, topic:253822, full:true”

Just to expand on this, I’ve been writing a blog since 2012 and have picked up a regular readership
[/quote]

Please could you provide a link to this? Thanks!

Google “Mythicalstrength” and you should find me.

1 Like