For Those Who Know About College Loans...

To complete my loan application process, I must send them a picture of my driver’s license. I don’t own one so I sent them a photo of my passport, but they rejected it. I need to send them a “bill to my address with my name on it”. I don’t think I’ve ever gotten a bill. What can I do to get a bill with my name, mailed to my house quickly? Willing to buy a small item online, just need to know. I’ll be using a pre-paid credit card.

Thanks in advance!!!

Get a state issued ID. Not a driver’s license but serves the same purpose (ID with address, etc). A couple of hours at the DMS or Sec of State, whichever your state has and you’re done without scrambling.

The state issued ID is not a bad idea, but it’s not on their list of acceptable forms of ID.

I currently live with my mother(divorced), but I’m registering under my father’s address. My sister did it before and it was much easier to get more federal aid and lower interest rates on loans. I don’t know what I oughta do…

I appreciate the good idea though!

[quote]Blackened wrote:
The state issued ID is not a bad idea, but it’s not on their list of acceptable forms of ID.

I currently live with my mother(divorced), but I’m registering under my father’s address. My sister did it before and it was much easier to get more federal aid and lower interest rates on loans. I don’t know what I oughta do…

I appreciate the good idea though![/quote]

The personal ID will work. There is no requirement that you be a licensed driver to receive a college loan. They may not have put the personal ID on the list, but this is most likely because they assume that people know an ID serves the exact same purpose in every situation except actually driving.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

The personal ID will work. There is no requirement that you be a licensed driver to receive a college loan. They may not have put the personal ID on the list, but this is most likely because they assume that people know an ID serves the exact same purpose in every situation except actually driving.[/quote]

He should call and check first.

On a side note, I am noticing many of my patients under the age of 18 somehow now don’t get their driver’s licenses.

Things weren’t like that when I was in school. Hell, I didn’t know anyone over 17 who didn’t have a driver’s license growing up even if they didn’t have a car. It was like a right of passage.

I would see a guy 17 or older not having one as being odd.

[quote]Professor X wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

The personal ID will work. There is no requirement that you be a licensed driver to receive a college loan. They may not have put the personal ID on the list, but this is most likely because they assume that people know an ID serves the exact same purpose in every situation except actually driving.[/quote]

On a side note, I am noticing many of my patients under the age of 18 somehow now don’t get their driver’s licenses.

Things weren’t like that when I was in school. Hell, I didn’t know anyone over 17 who didn’t have a driver’s license growing up even if they didn’t have a car. It was like a right of passage.

[/quote]

Back in my day…

I got mine a month before turning 17 and I felt waaaaay behind.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

[/quote]

Just wondering: How much does it cost to get a drivers license? Including training and theory?

[quote]The other Rob wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

[/quote]

Back in my day…[/quote]

Whatever. The point is, “my day” was the day right before the day of these 17 year olds and yeah, it does stand out to me that so many now aren’t even motivated to do so anymore.

That’s strange actually because I couldn’t wait to get mine. It meant some form of independence. What does lack of desire for one mean?

[quote]asusvenus wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

[/quote]

Just wondering: How much does it cost to get a drivers license? Including training and theory?
[/quote]

The cost of taking the driver’s test…25 bucks according to the DPS Texas website.

Therefore, not much of an excuse.

[quote]asusvenus wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

The cost of taking the driver’s test…25 bucks according to the DPS Texas website.

Therefore, not much of an excuse.[/quote]

Wow… Bunch of lazy bastards ya got over there then…

In Denmark we have to go to “driving school” for theory and practical driving. Takes about 3 months. We pay around 2.000$…

I hate you guys.

[quote]asusvenus wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if it has anything to do with the cost of gas these days? Plus, out here in California drivers can’t ride around with other teenagers until they’re 18 now, I think. I could be wrong on that, but it’s something along those lines. I think until you are 18, you can’t drive around with anyone other than your parents or someone over the age of 25.

When I got my license gas was like $.98 a gallon and you could drive around whenever, wherever with whoever. I think I drove drunk and high with a carload of friends about two hours after I got my license. Shit, I remember that evening we drove into Stevens Creek Park in Cupertino and got really stoned on one of the trails and when we came back there was a ranger sitting there shining a light into my car ('78 Cadillac Seville, fully loaded, the perfect car to cruise around in) because apparently it was past sundown and we weren’t supposed to be there past then.

The ranger (who basically has the same powers as a cop in that area) checked my license, realized I had just got it that day and wished me a happy driving career. I was scared shitless that I was going to get it suspended the same day I got it!

But nowadays, out here anyways, if that happened and I was 16 again, I would have been busted. Driving with my friends would have been cause for the police to have been called over, they would have cited me, probably would have realized we were all high as shit, searched me and the car, found the 1/2 ounce of weed I had, arrested me and yes, my license would have been suspended about three hours after I got it. I don’t know if this possibility is much of a factor in kids not getting their licenses until they’re 18 or so now, but back in my day it was much easier to gain some serious independence from your parents once you got your license. Now, it costs more to get it, insurance costs are higher, gas is way higher, and you can’t even really drive around unless you’re going to or from school or with your parents.

Driver’s Ed isn’t through school and free anymore. The parents have to pay a few hundred dollars for some driving “school” to do the classes and the driving instruction. They also have to put in 6 months or so of practical driving with licensed adults (and track the number of hours they drive) before they can take the test for the final license.

They also lose their license completely if they get a DUI before 18 years old. Add in the cost of gas, insurance, and vehicles and I think parents are making their kids wait and/or pay for it themselves.

And OP, the schools are trying to avoid kids using fake addresses to get better federal aid and interest rates which you admit is why you’re trying to use a fake address. I don’t think you can find a way to fake the address.

nowadays if you are 18 isnt it true that you do not have to go through the class? I kid i used to work with said he waited until he was 18 to get his license because his parents said he had to pay for drivers ed, so he waited until he was 18 and just took the test.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]asusvenus wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Blackened wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wonder if it has anything to do with the cost of gas these days? Plus, out here in California drivers can’t ride around with other teenagers until they’re 18 now, I think. I could be wrong on that, but it’s something along those lines. I think until you are 18, you can’t drive around with anyone other than your parents or someone over the age of 25.

…and you can’t even really drive around unless you’re going to or from school or with your parents. [/quote]

This is the law in NJ now too. Driving age is 17, but you’re on some stupid probation for the 1st year where they have all these stupid rules. They are:

1. individual who is at least 21 years old and has been a licensed driver for at least three years must be sitting next to you.

2. You cannot drive between 11 p.m. and 5 a.m. And you can only transport guardians, parents and dependents and you cannot drive with another passenger unless accompanied by a parent or guardian.

You need to do this for 12 months before you can get the unrestricted license.

So that pretty much fucks up the fun for driving in your senior year of HS. I am so fuckin glad they didn’t have these bullshit restrictions when I was 17. I can definitely see this as reason kids aren’t as excited as to get their license as I was in 1993.