T Nation

For Those Who Don't Know....

I started a thread a few days ago with a ridiculous “super” program that advocated ultra volume for a muscle group and then a huge rest period. As I suspected, everyone made a mockery of it. I was called everything from a beginner who shouldn’t post that kind of stuff on this board to crazy.

That being said, I was just experimenting outloud. I’ve never tried that kind of volume before. (Except for a brief period of time during which I tried to hit the elusive 1000 pushups a day, everyday.)

My real workout routine would look something like that–

Rows
Chest Press
Close-grip pull downs
Overhead press
Leg Presses

All exercises performed with a load that I could just barely pump out 10 reps before hitting muscle failure, and each exercise performed for a total of 25 reps in as many sets as is necessary to get the reps done.

As anyone can see, I actually don’t work out with a shit load of volume, but I have a fascination with volume training. I’m a huge fan of ultramarathon runners who put a hundred miles on their legs at a time, and I was really fascinated with Steve Justus’s book Rock, Iron, Steel, in which he advocates ocassionally performing marathon weight lifting sessions involving insane volume and then taking a good amount of time off. (He expressed the idea in the book that doing an ultravolume workout like that might be good right before a vacation, so you can rest on vacation and not worry too much about lifting.)

I grant, in order to try and make my whole muscle group breakdown work, I wrote the ultravolume plan with a LOT of rest for each muscle group afterward, but I later sort of revised that idea to allow less rest. I just didn’t post that plan because my initial one received such a poor reception. It doesn’t seem anyone is as interested in the idea of ultra-endurance in the area of weight lifting. Oh well, I just wanted to clear that up and post an actual gym plan that I would REALLY use, just so people would get off my back and not automatically assume I’m a beginner just because I want to wonder about gym plans that might be WAAAAAY off the norm.

More like:

For those who don’t care…

I’m really kind of confused by the attitudes of a lot of people on this forum. Are we here to talk about routines or not? I mean, I mentioned the ideas behind ultravolume training to see if anyone had any feedback, positive or negative, but rather than feedback all I seem to get from people are standing invitations to the dick measuring contest. I mean really, does no one have anything better to do than prove how manly they are by making snide comments? Put your pecker back in your pants and make a useful and intelligent comment, or just don’t say anything at all.

You appear to be a troll due to posting that nonsense about an utterly ridiculous “Super Routine,” which you now admit to have not been serious, and for a number of other reasons.

If you have a question, ask it, instead of presenting bullshit that you don’t even intend to do.

Let alone posting the bullshit, and then complaining about it and you being criticized.

However, if in fact only a troll, I suppose you’ve accomplished your little desires.

Look, I didn’t post the ridiculous workout to be a “troll” but to ask people to think about it. Ultravolume is a little discussed and interesting topic. Do you really think I would have gotten anything like a response if I had just said, “Hey guys, what do you think about working a bodypart everyday for a hundred reps a day?”

You would have labeled me a troll for that question alone, but that is bullshit in my mind. If an idea never gets expressed, it never gets considered. And responding to something out of the ordinary, even if you think it is a terrible idea, with snide remarks and a self-righteous attitude is unhelpful at best and shows a lack of curiousity and character at worst.

Oh well, continue with your dicussions about what a jackass I am. I’m sure it will make you feel really good about yourself.

[quote]testup wrote:
I’m really kind of confused by the attitudes of a lot of people on this forum. Are we here to talk about routines or not? I mean, I mentioned the ideas behind ultravolume training to see if anyone had any feedback, positive or negative, but rather than feedback all I seem to get from people are standing invitations to the dick measuring contest.

I mean really, does no one have anything better to do than prove how manly they are by making snide comments? Put your pecker back in your pants and make a useful and intelligent comment, or just don’t say anything at all.[/quote]

Your “super program” was so utterly stupid it deserved to be flamed.
If you wanted to talk about high volume trainging, you should have said something like “What do you guys think of high volume training?”, instead of posting some abomination of a program.
Your just like the guy who wanted “Stellar” abs.

class of 2009. Awesome.

Testup, are you Chad Waterbury. Looks like your training is pretty similar to his.

Volume is an interesting topic, but IMO more intensity is almost always better when it comes to body composition or strength. Remember intensity and volume are inversely related, so anytime you are doing more volume you MUST be doing less intensity.

And what you said about occassional “marathon” workouts makes sense to me. Look at what westside advocates with RE work and sets lasting up to 5-10 min long. It has its advantages, and if you understand a bit of physiology im sure you know why.

Testup and Dankid should meet up and get married.

If someone is in the woods and has a stupid idea and yells it out, but nobody is around to hear it, does it still have to be posted in the bodybuilding forum?

Is it normal for a man to have to sit down to pee?

skinny jeans

Testup, the bodybuilding forum equivalent of a loser is the only person that agrees with you, what does that tell you about the efficacy and overall productivity that comes from contemplating the way that you do?

It isn’t just shut up and lift, but it isn’t what you’re making it either.

Testup, it sounds like you are talking about a supercompensation program, or planned overreaching. I suppose it would work if you gave yourself a full week non-lifting of recovery afterwards.

Poliquin has mentioned this in interviews before. Some olympic athletes will start a super high volume training program three weeks out from the event. By the end of the second week they are tired, weak, and completely used up physically. Supposedly the last week is nothing but rest and nutrition and they rebound and reach their peak level of preformance right at the three week mark ( in this case for their chosen event).

Why would marathon runners even be anything more than a passing thought if u are interested in building muscle? Look at a marathon runner, does it look like their training develops any kind of muscle?

Look to all the huge guys that know how to build muscle, and do what they did, dont try and re-invent the wheel

huh, why does it say beato99 posted what I wrote!?

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Testup and Dankid should meet up and get married.[/quote]

OMG, think of the children (they would produce)!

[quote]Goodfellow wrote:
Testup and Dankid should meet up and get married.[/quote]

haha

Testup, no one will take you serious until you get an avatar!

Giddyup!

[quote]testup wrote:
Rows
Chest Press
Close-grip pull downs
Overhead press
Leg Presses

All exercises performed with a load that I could just barely pump out 10 reps before hitting muscle failure, and each exercise performed for a total of 25 reps in as many sets as is necessary to get the reps done.

I was really fascinated with Steve Justus’s book Rock, Iron, Steel, in which he advocates ocassionally performing marathon weight lifting sessions involving insane volume and then taking a good amount of time off.

[/quote]

Ok took out the extra fluff so my eyes dont bleed.

Rows - WHAT kind of Rows ?? Over 50-80 kind of Rows be more specific
Chest Press - WHAT kind of Chest Press, come on now know how many kinds ??
Close-grip pull downs - WHAT are those and WHY are you doing them ??
Overhead press - Hurrah a good exercise
Leg Press - Something wrong with Squats these days ??

We shall start there with your exercise selection.

Also WHY are you JUST doing those… something wrong with your other bodyparts ?

Missing some limbs ??