For 'The Wire' Lovers...

[quote]mitchellh wrote:
beachguy498 wrote:
It was arguably the best series that HBO did, even surpassed the over-dramatized Sopranos. I turned my son onto it in season 4 and he turned his buddies at college onto it. It still might be available on HBO on Demand if you’re a subscriber.

BG

Band of brothers. Enough said.[/quote]

Band of Brother was a great series. But watching the wire was like watching a tragedy right here on our front door step.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
I think if the show did receive the credit it deserved, most of us into it would be much less interested due to mass appeal. Considering you actually need an attention span to follow it, it seems to be respected by the audience it reached.[/quote]

There is no way that it could have had mass appeal. The show was too intelligent, too realistic from top to bottom to have anyone outside a very small percentage of the population care about it.

What I can say is that it changed the way I view everything. In a past life I might have been involved in the illegal aspects of certain things. I’m also involved in politics and journalism now… and that show took all those individual parts that I’ve seen and pasted them together in a fashion that I’ve come to realize is about as realistic as you could be.

The gangbangers aren’t all dumb “ghetto niggers” like they are incessantly thought of by the white trash who buy their drugs. The politicians aren’t shining knights out for good, the cops lie, and the journalists aren’t all reporting the truth. There are shades of gray everywhere… surprisingly similar to real life.

The best thing that David Simon did, I think, was say that the next time you’re on a jury, look at that black kid sittin there who got caught for moving weight. He could be another Bodie, another Wallace. You just don’t know.

It’s kind of funny, because I covered the NJ corruption cases a little bit last week… and I remember thinking how much one of the mayors, Hoboken’s Cammarano, reminded me of Carcetti. Young, good looking guy, out to be a somebody… and then to see Cammarano doin the walk of shame in cuffs last week only made me shake my head.

The shit’s no joke, and after watching “The Wire” I can’t watch any other TV show and have more than a passing interest in it.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Vicomte wrote:

It’s just that I distinctly remember listening to a conversation, clearly understanding all of the words, and still having no idea what was just said.

Drove me crazy.

Are you from America? They speak like people really speak in our largest cities (inner city)…which is amazing considering how many of the main cast aren’t even from here and have thick accents in real life.[/quote]

They say shit differently then we do up here though. It threw me off.

People don’t say “po-po” up here so much. The drugs are called different things, calling the corner kids “hoppers” wasn’t familiar to me, etc. The whole show has the real Baltimore feel, which is great, but it took me a bit to get used to the slang they were using.

[quote]adamhum wrote:
Snoop was an awesome character.[/quote]

She pretty much played herself: