T Nation

For the Rugby Fans

Seems to be a lot of rugby fans on this site, so you might like this.

Crappy quality, but still pretty good.

http://nosslo.com/rugbyhits.wmv

[quote]frisbee wrote:
Seems to be a lot of rugby fans on this site, so you might like this.

Crappy quality, but still pretty good.

http://nosslo.com/rugbyhits.wmv[/quote]

Awesome, you gotta love rugby league’s tackling style. It’s important to note that many of those tackles would be illegal in rugby union because you aren’t allowed to shoulder charge or tackle “without using the arms” like you can in league.

I can’t wait for the Australian NRL finals to start next week. It has been the most competive and closest competition ever and my team, the Tigers, have made the finals for the first time since the early 90’s, so finally I have an interest in league during September!

Some good shots amongst that lot - The Harragon-Caroll collision will live in my mind forever.

Tigers are dark horses for sure but St George look the team to beat.

Might save that one to watch before my next game.

Where was THE spear tackle?

Can you use the shoulder in Oz? I know you can’t in the UK, as you have to at least attempt to make a tackle.

Dan

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
Where was THE spear tackle?[/quote]

Watching spear tackles is something I’d rather not do. Big hits are fine, but there’s a line…

Dan

[quote]Ahdanielsan wrote:
Breakdown wrote:

Watching spear tackles is something I’d rather not do. Big hits are fine, but there’s a line…

Dan[/quote]

I’m sorry - I didn’t make myself clear. It was a bit of sarcasm. I was on the Lions tour - I’m still a bit upset about the “spear” tackle on our Brian!

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
Ahdanielsan wrote:
Breakdown wrote:

Dan

I’m sorry - I didn’t make myself clear. It was a bit of sarcasm. I was on the Lions tour - I’m still a bit upset about the “spear” tackle on our Brian!

[/quote]

Ahhh, gotcha. That tackle on O’Driscoll was bang out of order.

Dan

Its too bad league hasn’t really caught on here in the states. Union is great and all, but I think league would be easier for us dumb americans to get into.

By the way, Australia is going to get a whupping of monumental proportions tomorrow night!

Go the ABs

[quote]Breakdown wrote:
Ahdanielsan wrote:
Breakdown wrote:

Dan

[/quote]

Yeah, the loss of one player probably led to the cumulative 100 point difference between the ABs and the Lions in the three tests.

You were obviously misinformed, there was no whupping of Aussies involved, but there were plenty of Kiwis crapping their undies when the Aussies got to within 1 point!

If it wasn’t for Matt Dunning’s 3 brain explosions late in the match which led to penalties for NZ we probably would have pulled off a miracle win.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:
By the way, Australia is going to get a whupping of monumental proportions tomorrow night!

Go the ABs[/quote]

Yeah, I think the big hits you get in league would definitely appeal to the American market a lot more, as well as the speed of the game. Whilst union is now a “fast” game when the ball is in play, there are many more stoppages. Professional league is so fast these days it’s scary. Plus the tackle count in league is similar to NFL’s limit of 4 downs, so it would be easier to understand from that perspective.

[quote]croak wrote:
Its too bad league hasn’t really caught on here in the states. Union is great and all, but I think league would be easier for us dumb americans to get into. [/quote]

[quote]Ahdanielsan wrote:

Awesome, you gotta love rugby league’s tackling style. It’s important to note that many of those tackles would be illegal in rugby union because you aren’t allowed to shoulder charge or tackle “without using the arms” like you can in league.

Can you use the shoulder in Oz? I know you can’t in the UK, as you have to at least attempt to make a tackle.

Dan[/quote]

Well, I’m actually not too sure what the exact ruling is, it’s just that a lot of those tackles don’t have the players using their arms in the tackles and you never seem to get shoulder charging penalties in league, whilst a lot of those tackles on the video clip would be disallowed in union.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
You were obviously misinformed, there was no whupping of Aussies involved, but there were plenty of Kiwis crapping their undies when the Aussies got to within 1 point!

If it wasn’t for Matt Dunning’s 3 brain explosions late in the match which led to penalties for NZ we probably would have pulled off a miracle win.

deanosumo wrote:

Go the ABs

[/quote]

True, it was a tense match. Never write off an Aussie. Interestingly, all the injuries this season has helped Australia’s rugby future, by uncovering new talent.

[quote]deanosumo wrote:

True, it was a tense match. Never write off an Aussie. Interestingly, all the injuries this season has helped Australia’s rugby future, by uncovering new talent.[/quote]

Yeah, but most of the new guys are in the backline. When everyone is fully fit we have awesome depth in the backs. We need new talent in the forwards and we need it fast! It was very painful watching the Aussie scrum get shunted backwards every time the two teams packed down. If you are going backwards it doesn’t matter how good your backs are, they aren’t going to get enough time to organise themselves to get through the opposition’s line.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
deanosumo wrote:

True, it was a tense match. Never write off an Aussie. Interestingly, all the injuries this season has helped Australia’s rugby future, by uncovering new talent.

Yeah, but most of the new guys are in the backline. When everyone is fully fit we have awesome depth in the backs. We need new talent in the forwards and we need it fast! It was very painful watching the Aussie scrum get shunted backwards every time the two teams packed down. If you are going backwards it doesn’t matter how good your backs are, they aren’t going to get enough time to organise themselves to get through the opposition’s line.[/quote]

Agreed - Austrlaian rugby lacks quality props and has no depth at all in that department. 4,5,6,7 and 8 are well covered by some talented and emerging players - I think we could use a little more dynamics in the Number 8 jersey but apart from that it is ok. There is talk of a national scrum acadamy being set up to help develop players in the critical front row positions.

[quote]bg100 wrote:
Yeah, I think the big hits you get in league would definitely appeal to the American market a lot more, as well as the speed of the game. Whilst union is now a “fast” game when the ball is in play, there are many more stoppages. Professional league is so fast these days it’s scary. Plus the tackle count in league is similar to NFL’s limit of 4 downs, so it would be easier to understand from that perspective.

[/quote]

Its also alot easier to teach. The ruck throws people for a loop. I can take a group of people and get them playing a game of league in less than 20 minutes.

[quote]croak wrote:
bg100 wrote:

Its also alot easier to teach. The ruck throws people for a loop. I can take a group of people and get them playing a game of league in less than 20 minutes.

[/quote]

I found that although I liked union before I actually played it for a season, I really didn’t appreciate everything that goes on in the game until I had experienced it for myself. So it is very much the sort of game you have to play to be able to appreciate it as a spectator, especially the Test matches where the games are a lot tighter than the Super 12 competition where tries seem to be scored every 10 minutes and the ball is thrown around a lot more. Only guys who have actually played in a forward pack can really appreciate what goes on in rucks, mauls and scrums.

In league it is much more a case of what you see is what you get, and thus is a much easier game to teach because it can be visualised a lot better by the people learning the game.