For the ones who tried GVT?

Has anyone tried the GVT 2000 while doing the Fat Fast??? How were your results? Did it help shed off fat while packin on some mass???

Spanky, I tried the 10/6 and I really liked it. I’m predominantly fast-twitch so this was suggested by Lyle McDonald. I’ve also done 10/10 and I had to lower the weight so much to even sniff 10/10 it was ridiculous. I was shocked when I saw someone on this post said they only had to lower the working weight 10 lbs.-must be a hell of a slow-twitcher! To the person who asked about GVT with the Fat Fast…yeah, right. Have you ever done Fat Fast, or any low-carb diet for that matter? Try it and let us know…sorry, didn’t mean to be a smart ass, but it just ain’t possible.

Teddy, that’s cool, makes me feel better about not doin so good on 10x10! I’m a fast twitcher too, I almost always keep my reps in the 3-5 range (8 for some assists). Once I get a little leaner I might try upping my calories and doing 10x6. Did you see a decent strength increase from this? Bear, don’t even try to do GVT with Fat Fast. You’ll end up killing yourself. Try German Body Comp. instead if you’re looking to burn fat.

If you’re predominantly fast twitch then the routine probably won’t cause most muscle growth or soreness unless you drop the reps or increase the rest intervals. Tim Patterson has a modified version for Fast twitch people he mentioned in a previous B.T.S. column.

I’m going to try 10/6 next time. 10/10 just absolutely killed me!

Larry, in to get the last 2-3 sets up in good form and consistent tempo, I don’t see how it could be done unless some weight was dropped.
Teddy, well, I only had to lower my working weights from what I was doing while on the Fat Fast diet, so it compared to my prediet workouts, it was a bit more.
I’ve been doing GVT for 12 days and I’m still sore as hell. I’m doing the five day split. I’ll weigh in tomorrow and see what the scale says (the mirror says very little fat has been gained and I’m really liking that!)

Im just looking for some clarification here. If one is more fast twitch in a given muscle, and does 10x10s he wont get either very sore or experience much muscle growth in those bodyparts. does this mean that if other bodyparts trained that way got sore it would be a beneficial protocol? so for some parts 10x6 (fast) would be better and for others 101x10 (slow) would be better? For example my chest is getting sore, but my back is not. i also had to drop the rowing weights down a lot

Thunder, I think you have the right idea. On my original 10/10, my arms responded nicely, while legs for example was another story. At the time I was full squatting 315, and I had to struggle like a madman to complete the protocol with 135. Wow. Spanky, I did see a nice increase in weight used for the 10/6 on all bodyparts (15-20 lbs. on the big lifts, about half that on the smaller bodyparts). This was over a 4-week cycle.

TeddyKGB - would a big decrease in weights used relative to usual working weights also indicate a 10x10 isnt optimal? it seems this is a hard comparison to make since we are doing 10 sets of the same weight after all and not to failure. so im not sure what you would compare the weight chosen for the 10x10s to.

Possibly, but it’s not set in stone. The original protocol calls for 50-60 percent of your 1RM to be used for 10/10. Even Poliquin said that most people will fail miserably the first time they attempt this type of workout. One way to simplify this is to take 80 percent of your 1RM on all your lifts and lift it as many times as you can. Fast twitchers will only be able to get 4-6 reps, while slow twitchers are able to complete 15+ reps. The bodyparts that you can get a higher number of reps on would likely respond better to 10/10. Or you could take Vince Gironda’s approach and only use 10/10 on your lagging bodyparts. Gironda believed that using 10/10 for all bodyparts only led to overtraining.

I did a version of GVT a while back.

Really dropped the weight down.
Ate everything in sight.
Every day no days off for 6 weeks I part a day.

Week 1 sore
Week 2 not to bad
Week 3 Still not huge gains
weeks 4-6 added 5 lbs to the stack every day.
took 2 weeks light weight maint workout
When I went back to my old routine added 20# to every lift min.

I got much stronger body weight and fat didn’t change much.
You have to do 4-6 weeks to benefit.
my .02