For the Love of God NO!!!!!

I read this and have officially decided that the end is nigh…

Obesity epidemic hits child-safety seats; many kids too heavy for them

CHICAGO (AP) - Many young children are too heavy for standard car-safety seats, and manufacturers are starting to make heftier models to accommodate them, according to research on the obesity epidemic’s widening impact.

More than a quarter of a million U.S. children ages 1 to 6 are heavier than the weight limits for standard car seats, and most are three-year-olds who weigh more than 40 pounds, the study found.
Unless exceptionally tall, a three-year-old weighing more than 40 pounds would generally be considered overweight.

Lead author Lara Trifiletti said researchers at a safety centre at Johns Hopkins Hospital became interested in the topic because they saw children “who were very obese and our car-seat technicians were having a hard time finding car seats to fit them.”

She did the research at Johns Hopkins but now works at Ohio State University’s Children’s Research Institute.

Using inadequate car seats for heavy children could put them at increased risk for injury in a car accident, the researchers said.

“We don’t recommend that a parent use a restraint system for a child that has outgrown that system,” said Eric Bolton, a spokesman for the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. “It is risky.”

Based on national growth charts and the 2000 census, at least 283,305 children ages 1 to 6 are too heavy for standard safety seats. That includes nearly 190,000, or almost five per cent, of U.S. three-year-olds, the researchers said.

Their study appears in the April edition of Pediatrics, being released Monday.

Trifiletti said the phenomenon mostly affects youngsters whose weight exceeds the limits of standard seats with built-in safety harnesses, which are designed for one-to-three-year-olds weighing up to 40 pounds. These heavier young children are not mature enough or tall enough for “booster” safety seats, which are recommended for ages 4 and up and typically use the car’s safety belts for restraints, she said.

More than 23 per cent of U.S. children aged 2 to 5 were overweight and more than 10 per cent were obese in 2001-02, government data show. New data out later this week are expected to show that the upward trend has continued.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration last year proposed new requirements for manufacturers that choose to make seats for older and/or heavier children. Those who do would be required to build seats to protect kids up to 10 years old and/or weighing up to 80 pounds in 50 kilometre-an-hour crashes. The agency also would create an 80-pound crash-test dummy for testing child safety seats, 25 pounds heavier than the existing simulators, Bolton said.

The agency is collecting public comments on the proposal and a decision on whether to adopt the rule is expected soon, he said.

speechless

Too fat, they die in a car accident.

The world sorts itself out.

I see no problem…

Except who’s going to start purposely hitting the SUVs and Mini-vans packed with these porkers?

Quickly, to the batmobile, Robin!

WHAT THE HELL?

why must western culture always adress the problem rather than the cause?

Western Culture attacks th problem rather than the case because it ensures that no one ever has to admit that something is their on fault. It must be someone else’s fault…it can’t be my fault I’m fat! Must be the faul of corporate America…or McDonalds…or my mother…bt it can’ be my fault…

That is why we attack the problem…in my humble opinion.

C

[quote]Creidem wrote:
Western Culture attacks th problem rather than the case because it ensures that no one ever has to admit that something is their on fault. It must be someone else’s fault…it can’t be my fault I’m fat! Must be the faul of corporate America…or McDonalds…or my mother…bt it can’ be my fault…

C[/quote]

Or…we could attack the fat kids?

It’s the parents fault…hands down.
Parents could at least control the quality and the quantity that a three year old eats.
Any parent who allows his child to become fat at the age of three is a criminal.
That kid will suffer humiliation as well as a tendency to be fat for most of his life. The parents are probably a pair of lardasses to begin with.
Nobody is saying that kids shouldn’t have ice cream and the occasional chocolate bar. The rest of their diet should consist of healthy normal foods.

It looks like it’s going to get worse before it gets better.
Can you imagine these children at 16 years of age? All the school gym equipment as well as public transportation will have to be changed to accomodate these fatties.
Toilet seats will be built “extra strength” and the world will see a shortage in textiles because of the vast amounts of cloth that will be required to produce a pair of jeans for these tubbies.
I say invest in cotton…you can’t go wrong.

how in the fuzz does a 3 year old get to be obese? Are kids just born obese because their moms eat like crapollah while pregnant?

How do kids that young even get that fat? It’s not like they have years of sitting on their asses and eating junk food to blame. Maybe a year but not years. Too much tit?

[quote]Creidem wrote:

C[/quote]

It’s easier and more profitable to deal with the problems rather than the solutions. I mean, as long as you see something wrong with giving you kids diet pills.

Announcing:

ClownCutz!

That’s right parents! No longer do you have to worry about handing your kids HFCS filled CapriSun! Just hand them 2 ClownCutz pills with it! And the fat will melt right off!

I recently was over my friends house, and his older brother was there with his kid. This kid sucked down 6 CapriSuns in about an hour and started going apeshit. I mean running/jumping around yelling…hyperactive as all hell. picked up the empty box and read the ingredients.

What I saw shocked me, now, next time your at the grocery store look at a box of this stuff. it says “ALL NATURAL” and talks about how it gives quality hydration made especially for KIDS

Ingredients: WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, NATURAL FLAVOR.

Serving Size 200ml
Servings per Container about 10
Amount Per Serving
Calories 60
Total Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Sodium 55mg
Total Carbohydrate 16g
Sugars 16g
Protein 0g

Uh…did they really say 10 servings in one little pouch!!!

160g of SUGAR/CARBS

It is a terrible problem and I don’t know what the solution is. Kids getting fat before they even get to school - you can’t even address the problem through gym class at school. By then it is already too late.

And they allow all these crappy lollies for kids, and yet they ban promhormones.

I’d like to say, there are a lot of young guys who come onto T-Nation and get ripped for posting photos of themselves, and they are not huge, or people criticize them for wanting to lose some fat (and they are not fat) - I just want to say at least there are people out there interested in improving their health, I wish people would not be so hard on them, sometimes.

The problem cannot be related to what the mother ate durring pregnancy. it’s related to what her lazy ass feeds the kid after it is born. I’ve seen parents give there kids chocolates and candies and basically crap for food because thier kids scream and throw temper tantrums until they get what they want. Instead of feeding them healthy snacks they give them what they want to eat to shut them up.

I’m glad my little boy likes carrots, and fruits instead of all the sugar laden bullshit most kids eat. Granted he will eat the sweet shit if given the oppurtunity but me and my wife made the decision not to feed him crap. if he’s hungry or wants a snack he gets something healthy, not garbage.

Bullpup

[quote]TheBige wrote:
[snip] …This kid sucked down 6 CapriSuns in about an hour…[snip]

[snip]Serving Size 200ml
Amount Per Serving
Calories 60
…[snip]
[/quote]

600 calories each packet? So the kid had 3600 calories in an HOUR?

Now they are making ?husky-size? car seats. Sad.

The worst is seeing kids in strollers sucking back a baby bottle full of pop! Sadly, this is becoming the norm and those of us who do take care of ourselves are labeled as freaks, with the need to be put on medication for our “obsessive compulsive disorder.”

Not to split hairs, but I checked the nutrition information on Capri Sun.

It’s 100 calories per pouch with 25g. of carbs in the form of sugar.

Still not good at all, but not 160g. carbs per pouch (200 ml).

Six of these would still be 150g. of sugar and 600 calories, a hell of a lot for anyone, let alone a kid.

[quote]TheBige wrote:
Ingredients: WATER, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUGAR, CITRIC ACID, SODIUM CITRATE, POTASSIUM CITRATE, NATURAL FLAVOR.

Serving Size 200ml
Amount Per Serving
Calories 60
Total Fat 0g
Trans Fat 0g
Sodium 55mg
Total Carbohydrate 16g
Sugars 16g
Protein 0g

Uh…did they really say 10 servings in one little pouch!!!

160g of SUGAR/CARBS

[/quote]

Look at the serving size (200ml/~6.8 fl oz), probably just a screw up with a label meant for a large container. Still not good stuff though.

LOL. A whole country of fat bastard children and what do we go after…those damned baseball players for…getting all muscular and stuff.