For the Haters of DW

This was posted over at Marunde-Muscle.com

"A CRY FOR HELP! The story of the Diesel Weasel. PLEASE DONATE!

Let me tell you a little story about the Diesel Weasel…

I received an email a long while ago of a guy deadlifting. The subject of the email was “WORLD’S WORST DEADLIFT FORM!!!” . The video depicted a guy who called himself the Diesel Weasel who weighed barely 160lbs pulling near 400lbs! His back was rounded, his right heal was tapping the ground ferociously as he pulled, to what I assumed to be the beat of heavy metal music pumping into his skull from his ipod. The pull was wicked hard, but he was crazy explosive and he WANTED the lift, and it went up. The lift took nearly 6 seconds and I swear his eyes literally BULGED from his head! Within a week I received yet another email from someone else featuring the Diesel Weasel again except this time he was front squatting in a sloped drive way on a home made axle bar and was using jugs of bleach to block the bar from rolling down the street! And get this; he didn?t appear to have a squat rack in his little tiny garage so he was cleaning the axle to start his front squat sets! His form was sketchy to say the least, but he slammed it into the hole, totally rock bottom and pushed the ground away like hell till the lift was completed. By then I was wondering who in the world this guy was and where he was getting his training ideas from! Then one day some one on this very forum posted a link to a whole page of Diesel Weasel videos! They were all MAX EFFORT attempts. I watched everyone of them and was amazed. He was hitting max weighted dips and chins, squats, deadlifts, axle cleans and front squats etc. He even had a video of himself carrying a pair of farmers walk handles down the sidewalk in a busy Queens New York neighborhood with snow on the ground! I then learned that the guys name is Max (how ironic is that!?) and that he posts on a couple boards and that everyone flames him and makes fun of him. I got PISSED!!! I put out the word to invite him to our forum because Max totally reminded me of myself when I was starting out! (When I did my first bodyweight snatch in highschool both of my knees contacted the ground and the bar hit the top of my head before I proudly stood erect with the 215lbs.) Ours is the BEST community on the net without a doubt, and I was confident that our people wouldn?t treat Max the same as the others. Max is vicious to any weight he tries to move. His pure blood and guts effort is mind boggling! What Max needed was some help from folks who knew their stuff, people he could trust. Suddenly Max showed up and started posting! So I told him I would personally give him counsel if he would maintain a training log and he did it!

A few months back I was in New York for a photo shoot and I had the chance to hang out with Max for a few hours. He is 23 years old, 5?5? tall, 155lbs and fresh out of the Army. Max just graduated from Queensborough Community College and is waiting to be accepted to a University next semester. He?s your normal meat head, hard core, broke as a joke gym rat college kid. When I quizzed him on his technique he told me that he knew it needed improvement, but he also knew that if he just pulled harder he could lift more. In fact, he is pulling over 500 pounds these days! Max is under the impression that hard work and balls out effort is the key to success in strongman. Though his form isn?t perfect, and he hasn?t won any major shows yet, I know a few pros that could learn a lesson from the Diesel Weisel!!!

So here?s what I?d like to see happen. I would like this forum to SPONSOR Max and fly him out to the West Coast Strongest Man July 15th in Auburn, Washington so that I can personally coach him. Plain tickets are going for about $450 right now. You can check JFK to SEA on orbitz.com if you want an exact price. I know there are a lot of awesome and generous people on this forum. I wonder if it is possible to raise enough money to buy Max a ticket? What do you guys think?

If anyone is interested in donating, simply scroll to the bottom of this page and fill in the paypal form. If we do not raise enough money I promise I will promptly return the money to anyone who attempted to help out Max. I will leave this thread up for 24 hours, if we do not raise enough money I will close the thread and let Max know that he won?t be coming. I spoke with Max tonight and he is quite skeptical, though he is ready to make the trip if we buy him a ticket.

Jesse Marunde"

With so much hate towards DW on this board i figured some people should see this. The kids got shit form, but he has heart, something soarely missing from most peoples training programs. Got a problem with the DW? take it up with big Jesse.

The funny thing is that the dude does have enormuos heart towards lifting heavy. No doubt about that.

Most peoples main point of contention was that his form was deadly terrible. We all want to see big lifts, but don’t want to see vertebra flying around the room like clipped toe nails.

I know that I can’t endorse lifting like that. I like seeing people get stronger, not injured.

I am not sure anyone here “hates” DW, but we do get tired of giving him suggestions to be ignored. Many people on this forum have made suggestions on how he could improve his form, but to no avail.

I for one find it admirable that you are willing to train him – but think he should earn his way there himself.

Good luck to Max. His heart was never in question. I think a lot of people’s problems stemmed from the fact that when he asked for and was offered advice by knowledgable people, he usually ignored it or scoffed at it. Maybe Jesse can beat some form into him, I know DW has tremendous respect for him and getting that advice in person would give it more meaning. And he might keep DW from being wheel chair bound in later life.

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
Good luck to Max. His heart was never in question. I think a lot of people’s problem stemmed from the fact that when he asked for and was offered advice by knowledgable people, he usually ignored it or scoffed at it. Maybe Jesse can beat some form into him, I know DW has tremendous respect for him and getting that advice in person would give it more meaning.[/quote]

Thats exactly what it was. Sure some just hammered his form but it wasnt everybody. People offered him advice, knowledagable people, and he shunned it. Then everybody ganged up on him when he did his mightier than thou attitude and disregarded everything people told him. This happened recently also, not just from a while back.

For every bit of heart he has, he’s got at least as much ignorance, stubbornnes, and delusisions of paranoia.

There’s no way I would give money for him to fly out to be coached by Jesse Marunde. He does not yet need the expertise of a professional strongman competitor. He still has a long way to go, learning about form, until he would even need advice of an expert. Why waste it on someone with such a basic flaws?

-MAtt

Maybe we should fly Jesse somewhere, Im tired of seeing Marius win everything.

http://media.putfile.com/max_2006mudcat

[quote]firebug9 wrote:
I am not sure anyone here “hates” DW, but we do get tired of giving him suggestions to be ignored. Many people on this forum have made suggestions on how he could improve his form, but to no avail. [/quote]

I think that’s crap, his form has obviously made great improvements.

It’s not perfect, but show me someone maxing with perfect form and I’ll show you someone that needs to put more weight on the bar.

I was very impressed by that video. DW’s raw strength is amazing. Especially for a guy his size. If he can succeed in strongman I’m all for him.

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
firebug9 wrote:
I am not sure anyone here “hates” DW, but we do get tired of giving him suggestions to be ignored. Many people on this forum have made suggestions on how he could improve his form, but to no avail.

It’s not perfect, but show me someone maxing with perfect form and I’ll show you someone that needs to put more weight on the bar.[/quote]

Real good point.

What the heck!!

I’ll send $10 towards the cause!!

Diesel Weisel, you are NUTS, but YOU HAVE BALLS!!!

so you’ve got a couple of $$ from Poland to go and kick our Mariusz’s ass!!

:slight_smile:

Good Luck,

P.S. I guess I need to go to Merunde’s site first for the appropriate link??

I don’t think the argument is that he isn’t pulling some good numbers. But I don’t care how good an athlete is, if he’s an arrogant prick, I’m certainly not going to donate any money to making him better. I’ve given “help” in the form of friendly advice only to get snuffed. And whether or not he followed the advice of others, I don’t remember him accepting it graciously like a true competitor. To me, the strength sports are as much about personal and emotional growth as well as physical growth and increasing strength. He is seriously lacking in one of those respects.

-MAtt

[quote]Ghost22 wrote:
firebug9 wrote:

It’s not perfect, but show me someone maxing with perfect form and I’ll show you someone that needs to put more weight on the bar.[/quote]

Deathroe,

Can you post a link with it . . . I seem to have a problem finding this on Jessie’s site

Regards,

www.marunde-muscle.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3716&page=1&pp=10

[quote]Matgic wrote:
For every bit of heart he has, he’s got at least as much ignorance, stubbornnes, and delusisions of paranoia.

There’s no way I would give money for him to fly out to be coached by Jesse Marunde. He does not yet need the expertise of a professional strongman competitor. He still has a long way to go, learning about form, until he would even need advice of an expert. Why waste it on someone with such a basic flaws?

-MAtt[/quote]

The reason to “waste” it on someone like him is because he is someone that is training his ass off, has heart, and obviously doesn’t take well to internet trainers that have no credentials giving him advice. His basic flaws need to be corrected and early on is the best time to have a good coach to put him on the correct path. He has something that many people do not, potential + drive.

If I didn’t have to pay for a wedding and a honeymoon in 3 months I’d toss a few bones for the cause.

Hats off to Marunde saving DW. Hats off to the brotherhood of iron!

Regards,

Sensless

Everything was fine on DW’s thread until he asked for advice, and when some of the most experienced lifters on this board tried to help him…he told them they were wrong and to basically piss off.

Then and ONLY then did the flaming begin

[quote]sensless wrote:
The reason to “waste” it on someone like him is because he is someone that is training his ass off, has heart, and obviously doesn’t take well to internet trainers that have no credentials giving him advice.
[/quote]

But then why post on an internet forum if you’re just going to ignore everyone’s advice?

[quote]cap’nsalty wrote:
sensless wrote:
The reason to “waste” it on someone like him is because he is someone that is training his ass off, has heart, and obviously doesn’t take well to internet trainers that have no credentials giving him advice.

But then why post on an internet forum if you’re just going to ignore everyone’s advice? [/quote]

But he didn’t ignore everyone’s advice. He listened and responded decently to the people that respectfully responded instead of ripping on him first, then providing input. Also, many of the people on here don’t compete in strongman and really are clueless when it comes to what it takes for the sport. It just happened that there were 4 zillion responses to his posts so he had a lot of BS to try to wade through to get to decent stuff. If I were him, I’d have ignored the BS and only tried to respond to the other stuff. On top of that, he can post the stuff, see who responds, and then pick and choose who he wants to listen to. It’s his perogative.

What qualifications do any of us have to give him advice, beyond saying, “I’ve lifted for 12 years.” or some such blather? Some people have credentials more than this, but most of the people who ripped on him do not. I don’t see any reason to not ignore those people.

Regards,

Sensless

[quote]DieselWeasel wrote:
http://media.putfile.com/max_2006mudcat[/quote]

Just out of curiousity, what made that log deadlift so tough anyway? Did it have a thick handle or something?