For The Experts.

I’m fairly new to the world of lifting. Major hardgainer, been lifting for about 3-4 months (about 10 weeks I believe). I’m looking to gain major weight, as well as get stronger.

I am 15 years old, 6 foot 3, 170 lbs. I’m very good about eating- 3-5 meals a day minimum. Also take a protine shake post workout. I get 7.5-8 hours of sleep minimum a day depending on my schedule.

My routine consists of Monday-Wed-Friday~Legs, Shoulders, Back. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday- Chest, arms, abs. Sunday- rest.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for me? Tips? Anything would be greatly appricated. Thanks in advance guys

Please see my most recent article, 12 Tips From A Beginner (At Heart) here:

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=984952

[quote]bigpoppao7 wrote:
I’m fairly new to the world of lifting. Major hardgainer, been lifting for about 3-4 months (about 10 weeks I believe). I’m looking to gain major weight, as well as get stronger.

I am 15 years old, 6 foot 3, 170 lbs. I’m very good about eating- 3-5 meals a day minimum. Also take a protine shake post workout and have been taking creatine for about 3 weeks now (I plan to cycle). I get 7.5-8 hours of sleep minimum a day depending on my schedule.

My routine consists of Monday-Wed-Friday~Legs, Shoulders, Back. Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday- Chest, arms, abs. Sunday- rest.

Does anyone have any input or suggestions for me? Tips? Anything would be greatly appricated. Thanks in advance guys[/quote]

In addition to Charles’ article, check out the article Eric Cresesy wrote about what he’d do over if he could be a beginner again (or something to that effect). It’s a little complicated, but very worthwhile.

-Dan

[quote]bigpoppao7 wrote:
I’m fairly new to the world of lifting. Major hardgainer, been lifting for about 3-4 months (about 10 weeks I believe).[/quote]
10 weeks is 2-and-a-half months, not 3-4. Sorry, but that was bugging me.

F-o-o-d. Problem solved. :wink:

Dude, roast beef sandwiches, whole eggs, milk, and peanut butter should become staples of your daily menu.

That’s all well and good. With where you’re at (at your age, and training (in)experience), any consistent lifting will be fine. I will say, though, that I’d like to see you be sure to incorporate push-ups, pull-ups, and no-weight squats and/or lunges into your routine, as well as keep a majority of your lifting in the 8-10 rep range, due to your age.

Don’t label yourself a hardgainer.

This is a self defeating attitude.

You are new at the game. Train right and eat right and you will leave that hardgainer label behind you.

[quote]bigpoppao7 wrote:
[/quote]

How the hell do you know if you’re a hard gainer when you’re 15 years old and have only been workiong out for 2 1/2 months?

MOST hard gainers=not eating enough and working out 1/2 assed.

Stop calling yourself a hard-gainer.

There are as many true hard-gainers in the world as there are genetic freaks who grow simply by driving by a gym. While you might have a quick metabolism, you are most likely not a true hard-gainer. Most people who use the term to describe themself are copping out as a way to cover up bad nutrition, lazy or stupid training, etc.

Also: how do you know you’re a hard-gainer? You’ve been lifting for less than 90 days. Please take this in the nicest way, but you don’t know shit about shit.

Eat 4,000 calories a day, lift as heavy as you can, and rest. If at the end of a YEAR, you still haven’t gained any weight or made any strength gains, THEN you can start calling yourself a hard-gainer.

The whole hardgainer/easygainer thing is grossly overrated. In all my years as a trainer and competetive powerlifter all my clients and the other powerlifters have agreed that once an effective workout plan and nutrition plan is in order, anyone can gain quite easily. If you think it is hard to gain weight then eat more… this doesn’t mean you are a hardgainer and need to compensate by eating more. It merely means you are one of the three approximate body types, Whuppee-fucking-doo. ADAPT.

Some people repair muscles at different rates… if you repair slow then just workout less often but with higher intensity… just adapt.
The only significant genetic factor I find is tendon insertion for pro bodybuilders.