T Nation

For My Dad

Ok guys, I know this question has probably been asked a million times, but I know nothing on the subject.

My dad recently asked me to design a training program and diet for him. If it were one of my friends, no problem. But my dad is 53 and has never lifted a weight before. He is 6’8" and overweight, which adds more concern for me when designing a program.

His main focus is to lose weight, of course. I would normally never hesitate to include the big exercises - squat, deadlift, bench - in a program; in fact I would design programs around those lifts, but I am very concerned about them being dangerous for him.

Does anyone know of any links for programs specially geared towards people like him??? I would feel much more comfortable finding a template laid out by a professional!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

…I’ve always thought that the Mens Health, HGM (Home Grown Muscle) series was a great starting point for a beginner or a weight lifter with little to no experience

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=9bd999edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd____

Start him off easy with the beginner’s level of Phase 1 (Iron Manual). Do it with him to help him learn proper form. Eight-weeks of HGM will not only give him a good foundation, it’s also an interesting enough routine that it should keep his motivation level up long enough to get addicted to lifting like all of us…hebs

I love that you are doing this for your dad.

I hope you can help him with his nutrition. That is 80% of the battle.

You probably will need to figure out his maintenance calories.
http://www.caloriecontrol.org/calcalsm.html

Use that link to figure out how much he needs to eat a day.

I have a pretty good Excel spreadsheet that is easy to use with my menu plan and lists some basic foods I eat.

let me know if you want me to send you the file.

Increase his NEPA, increase his fiber, increase his healthy fats, and increase his protein.

Easy to-do’s are: eat celery at every meal, take Benefiber every day, take your fish oil, if you get hungry eat protein.

good luck!

Thanks for the tips!

OctoberGirl, I like the advice you gave for one huge reason: I KNOW that my dad will not have the dedication(obsession?)that I have. He thinks I’m ridiculous with all my macronutrient counting, etc. So things like celery at every meal and good, basic nutritional guidelines are what I’m shooting for.

Another bad thing I forgot to mention: his work involves traveling, Monday through Thursday. So it’s going to be very difficult structuring a good lifting routine first of all, not to mention the fact that there will have to be a lot of leniency in his diet!!

[quote]dharmabum31 wrote:
Thanks for the tips!

OctoberGirl, I like the advice you gave for one huge reason: I KNOW that my dad will not have the dedication(obsession?)that I have. He thinks I’m ridiculous with all my macronutrient counting, etc. So things like celery at every meal and good, basic nutritional guidelines are what I’m shooting for.

Another bad thing I forgot to mention: his work involves traveling, Monday through Thursday. So it’s going to be very difficult structuring a good lifting routine first of all, not to mention the fact that there will have to be a lot of leniency in his diet!![/quote]

I also travel periodically and most good hotels have some kind of workout facility. At the very least get him on the stationary bike or treadmill for 30 minutes eachh day he is on the road. He may also find that he can do much of a simple machine based weigth session at the hotels. He may have to start making different choices on where he stays but that should be easy enough.

One thing I’ve found great for the traveling workout is bands. Adding them to the simple bodyweight movements can make a workout really challenging. It’s good to have at least one each of the first 3 strengths. And they pack in the suitcase easily.

wwww.ironwoodyfitness.com

They had a great article on this a couple years back;

I printed this out and gave it to my 70 year old dad. I set his training up the same way I would for anyone, after he had a full physical. He made great gains and even started wearing sleeveless shirts and asking me about those Ab thingies. My point being, don’t treat him any different than you would someone else, just be sensible about it. Give him good instruction on proper form and take him through some easy progressions so he can get it down.

I think it is awesome! At one point had my Dad and my son lifting with me at the same time, 3 generations throwing around some iron! pretty cool, eh?