T Nation

For How Long Can One Live on TRT?


#1

Guys i have experince low T symptoms for long now i am 27 yrs old and also going to father a child in next 2 months.i am doubt whether to start TRT or not is it sustainable because life is long and one needs to keep injecting it till alive and there can be other aide effects from T which needs to be in check regularly otherwise u can suddenly die.
Is there any proof that one can have normal life span on TRT?


Can Someone Help me Delete Old Posts?
KSman is Here
#2

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:
Guys i have experince low T symptoms for long now i am 27 yrs old and also going to father a child in next 2 months.i am doubt whether to start TRT or not is it sustainable because life is long and one needs to keep injecting it till alive and there can be other aide effects from T which needs to be in check regularly otherwise u can suddenly die.
Is there any proof that one can have normal life span on TRT?[/quote]

Let’s first see your proof that one can suddenly die from TRT…


#3

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:
Guys i have experince low T symptoms for long now i am 27 yrs old and also going to father a child in next 2 months.i am doubt whether to start TRT or not is it sustainable because life is long and one needs to keep injecting it till alive and there can be other aide effects from T which needs to be in check regularly otherwise u can suddenly die.
Is there any proof that one can have normal life span on TRT?[/quote]

This is actually a good question, if a little extreme. I think the problem is that TRT is a new enough practice that there is not yet a great deal of evidence about any long term effects of being on it. So while there doesn’t seem to be any clear evidence showing that it is dangerous, it is mostly because of a lack of time and evidence, not that it won’t exist.

I honestly don’t know what to tell you. How long is your free T? Do you want TRT to make it easier to gain muscle and lose fat, or do you have more serious side effects from extremely low T? Obviously you’re going to be a Dad in two months (congrats), so the basic equipment is apparently working…

–Me


#4

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:
Guys i have experince low T symptoms for long now i am 27 yrs old and also going to father a child in next 2 months.i am doubt whether to start TRT or not [/quote]

Have you had a doctor run labs confirming that you have low testosterone?

There are dozens of conditions whose symptoms are the same as “low T symptoms,” from simply being stressed to being unfit or overweight to having thyroid problems to depression to autoimmune conditions to lingering infections such as mono to medication, drug, or alcohol use to loss of attraction to a partner. Most have nothing to do with testosterone, or may cause low T as simply a side effect of the underlying treatable condition. With a baby on the way, it sounds as if you have a lot going on that may possibly be stressful on some level, and it is going to be extra stressful for at least the next year or so, so you should probably try to relax as much as possible about the TRT idea and give things some time to see if they resolve themselves.


#5

One can die not because of TRT but its side effects such as high hematocrit etc which can be fatal if not kept in check in long term


#6

My total T -820 ng/dl
Free T -28 pg/ml
Lh- 3.23 uiu/ml
Fsh - 4.54 uiu/ml
E2 - 31.03 pg/ml

I am hypothyroid.
My TSH remains in 3-4.49 ranges in many tests that i have taken.also my moening temps are low and i my feets becomes cold easily.
Can hypothyrodism affects pituary gland and indirectly test production.valuable.input will be appericiated.
I am lean guy and no fat on belly i have abs :slight_smile:


#7

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:
My total T -820 ng/dl
Free T -28 pg/ml
Lh- 3.23 uiu/ml
Fsh - 4.54 uiu/ml
E2 - 31.03 pg/ml

I am hypothyroid.
My TSH remains in 3-4.49 ranges in many tests that i have taken.also my moening temps are low and i my feets becomes cold easily.
Can hypothyrodism affects pituary gland and indirectly test production.valuable.input will be appericiated.
I am lean guy and no fat on belly i have abs :)[/quote]

I’m relatively new here, but any doc who would recommend TRT with those levels is just trying to bilk you out of money. Your test is around the upper ranges of normal.


#8

I met few guys who have been on TRT for their whole life one was XXY from birth and now he is 55 years old another one is 60 above and another one is 59 one more is 45.it seems low T guys on TRT or without TRT have normal life span .one study done in korean eunuchs suggets the same they lived more than their normal counterparts their average age was 70 above.there are some famous personalities such as brian brett now 65 yrs old;jimmy scot lived 79 yrsthere are many castrati singers who had normal life span in past such as farenlli etc ;so guys i think normal life span but it’s my personal view .


#9

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:
My total T -820 ng/dl
Free T -28 pg/ml
Lh- 3.23 uiu/ml
Fsh - 4.54 uiu/ml
E2 - 31.03 pg/ml

I am hypothyroid.
My TSH remains in 3-4.49 ranges in many tests that i have taken.also my morning temps are low and i my feets becomes cold easily.
Can hypothyrodism affects pituary gland and indirectly test production.valuable.input will be appericiated.
I am lean guy and no fat on belly i have abs :)[/quote]

My Latest report on 3/9/2015 of thyroid function are

Tsh 4.5 miu/l 0.35-5.50
Ft3 2.78 pg/ml 2.3-4.20
Ft4 1 ng/dl 0.35-5.50

I met endo today only and he said i am perfectly normal .is he realy correct? Ksman plz ur inputs required
Does hypothyrodism affects lh and fsh production and indirectly testosterone production? What should be further course of action?


#10

Please read these stickies:

  • advice for new guys, note first paragraph, lots of good basic info and definitions
  • things that damage your hormones
  • thyroid basics

Are you iodine deficient [not using iodized salt]?
Hypothyroidism can lower T levels.

Post AM and mid-afternoon body temperatures. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Labs:
TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH
TSH
fT3
fT4
rT3 if history of stress or high stress events
AM cortisol
CBC
PSA if +40-45
Prolactin !!!

TRT includes case management and labs. There are no risks that you imagine because you don’t allow yourself to be mismanaged.
TRT involves more than taking testosterone.

Men on TRT live longer and better lives.

You do not have low T. You have hypothyroidism. Please read the stickies suggested.


#11

[quote]KSman wrote:
Please read these stickies:

  • advice for new guys, note first paragraph, lots of good basic info and definitions
  • things that damage your hormones
  • thyroid basics

Are you iodine deficient [not using iodized salt]?
Hypothyroidism can lower T levels.

Post AM and mid-afternoon body temperatures. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Labs:
TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH
TSH
fT3
fT4
rT3 if history of stress or high stress events
AM cortisol
CBC
PSA if +40-45
Prolactin !!!

TRT includes case management and labs. There are no risks that you imagine because you don’t allow yourself to be mismanaged.
TRT involves more than taking testosterone.

Men on TRT live longer and better lives.

You do not have low T. You have hypothyroidism. Please read the stickies suggested.[/quote]
I have gone through stickies and i have posted all values above and cbc was normal which i have done in past many times same for prolactin it was around 8.
I am 27 year old so psa is ruled out.
In ur opinion i dont have low T !!!
I have been using iodized salt.
Morning temps are 96.7 ± 0.2 always
In afternoon they reaches 97.6 ± 0.2
My feet becomes cold very easily and ibdo have have hard thick(in girth)hairs

I visted endo and they ruled out hypothyrodism so here it is difficult ro get prescription .what should be my next strategy plz suggest.


#12

You have hypothyroidism. The problem is that the ranges and attitudes of doctors mean that you are not getting treated.

How much iodized salt do you use. Check the container. Here, iodized salt and not iodized are stocked on the same shelves in the store and the packaging is very similar. You can try supplemental iodine as maybe your only option.

You should also test for thyroid anti-bodies.

Talk to pharmacists, they might know doctors who treat patients, not lab results. Also ask if there are any over the counter thyroid gland extracts.

Are your outer eyebrows sparse?


#13

[quote]KSman wrote:
You have hypothyroidism. The problem is that the ranges and attitudes of doctors mean that you are not getting treated.

How much iodized salt do you use. Check the container. Here, iodized salt and not iodized are stocked on the same shelves in the store and the packaging is very similar. You can try supplemental iodine as maybe your only option.

You should also test for thyroid anti-bodies.

Talk to pharmacists, they might know doctors who treat patients, not lab results. Also ask if there are any over the counter thyroid gland extracts.

Are your outer eyebrows sparse?[/quote]

Actually I am not having morning wood also and my outer are not that much wide and they r not spread in a way.


#14

Yeah, assuming you would be low-T without therapy, then I have to think that therapy would prolong your life, not shorten it. All the negative mortality statistics I’ve seen indicate greater mortality with out-of-range hormones. I’d stick with that as a goal–and if you had it (in-range measurements) before going on HRT, I’d make a plan to get off HRT quick.


#15

820 testosterone is fucking outstanding. No doctor in his right mind would prescribe TRT at that level. Why you would even want to go on TRT with that kind of natural production is beyond me.


#16

[quote]sonudv8 wrote:

In ur opinion i dont have low T !!!

[/quote]

It’s not opinion. You are NOT hypogonadal and as stated by Flip, no doctor in their right mind is going to prescribe T for some with levels above, say, 500 ng/dl.

Eight hundred and change is high normal! Actually if you were to take T for whatever reason, you will go from being eugonadal to hypogonadal and in that case you will really need TRT.


#17

[quote]flipcollar wrote:
820 testosterone is fucking outstanding. No doctor in his right mind would prescribe TRT at that level. Why you would even want to go on TRT with that kind of natural production is beyond me.[/quote]
Yes flip my total T at 820 ng/dl looks good but have a look at my free T values they are merely 28 pg/ml
I have gone for few more labs
shbg 43.6
Albumin - 4.86
calculate free T -150 pg/ml or 15 ng/dl
Bioavailable T - 395 ng/dl
I don’t drink, and my LFT was also fine.
I think that my free t from blood values is low at 28 pg/ml.
Why is there so much difference between free T calculated online and from blood labs?
why is my shbg high? it should be 25-35.
Do you still think m not hypogonadal?
What should I do now to take situation in control regarding my TSH levels and testosterone?
I m not in any means carving for TRT.


#18

I think you have something else going on. It’s clear you have symptoms, but it’s also clear those symptoms aren’t from Low T. Even your Free T levels are fine.

Let the boys here help figure it out. For what it is worth, I was originally diagnosed with apnea, which was legit. But, once I got that solved with CPAP, I was still in funky town with Low T symptoms.

There is a lot to digest. Don’t be in a big hurry to get on TRT. My test levels on TRT are well below yours, and I feel pretty good.

Be patient, work through it, and get it right. Let the guys here help.

Rock on.


#19

Your thyroid problems are not a side issue and should be your current primary focus.

Please carefully review my earlier posts above.