T Nation

For Cy: Effects on CNS

Hey Cy.

Do steroids have any effect on the CNS? I’m interested in whether or not they have any role to play, biochemically, in any CNS recovery issues from training.

Thanks man

Amir

P.S If they have ANY effect at all Id be interested to read about that as well.

By ANY effect at all I dont want anyone to tell me they make you bigger and stronger…and seeing that I just replied to my own post, they definitely dont make you smarter.

Amir

[quote]AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
Hey Cy.

Do steroids have any effect on the CNS? I’m interested in whether or not they have any role to play, biochemically, in any CNS recovery issues from training.

Thanks man

Amir

P.S If they have ANY effect at all Id be interested to read about that as well.[/quote]

Amir,

Yes, absolutely, I believe androgens do seem to have a direct effect upon the CNS, certainly those that seem to be the most potent agonists, having the greatest effect. The exact mechanisms through which this occurs, isn’t something I’ve looked in to for a while, but I’m sure a literature search will yield some good results. If I remember correctly, I believe an effect upon acetylcholine and an effect upon GABA receptors are seen with androgens. Again, you’ll probably find more useful info by searching the primary literature.

Anecdotal evidence certainly supports the premise. I’m sure guys who have used trenbolone will attest to the fact that they’ve had tremendous strength gains that were seen in extremely short periods of time (a few days if not less).

Thanks man, youre a one man scientific search engine.

I was just trying to understand the role they played in regards to how differently one could train. Since they allow for quicker recovery I think that frequency may NEED to be higher for movements/bodyparts or else you might lose the training effect from workout to workout of the same bodypart/movement unless youre doing full body sessions multiple times per week I guess. Just something for me to ponder.

Ill see where this goes, thanks again!

Amir

[quote]Cy Willson wrote:
AMIRisSQUAT wrote:
Hey Cy.

Thanks man

Amir

P.S If they have ANY effect at all Id be interested to read about that as well.

Amir,

Yes, absolutely, I believe androgens do seem to have a direct effect upon the CNS, certainly those that seem to be the most potent agonists, having the greatest effect. The exact mechanisms through which this occurs, isn’t something I’ve looked in to for a while, but I’m sure a literature search will yield some good results. If I remember correctly, I believe an effect upon acetylcholine and an effect upon GABA receptors are seen with androgens. Again, you’ll probably find more useful info by searching the primary literature.

Anecdotal evidence certainly supports the premise. I’m sure guys who have used trenbolone will attest to the fact that they’ve had tremendous strength gains that were seen in extremely short periods of time (a few days if not less).[/quote]