T Nation

For Cy - Diabetes Aid?

Hey big guy,

I have had my father ask me about this new compound that has recently come out. It is supposed to dramatically improve diabetes, or something to that extent. It is called Byetta and recently gained FDA approval. Considering your expertise, I was wondering your thoughts on the subject.

www.byetta.com

[quote]the MaxX wrote:
Hey big guy,

I have had my father ask me about this new compound that has recently come out. It is supposed to dramatically improve diabetes, or something to that extent. It is called Byetta and recently gained FDA approval. Considering your expertise, I was wondering your thoughts on the subject.

www.byetta.com

[/quote]

Hi the MaxX,

It would definitely be something that I would have him consider talking to his physician about if he has type II diabetes. It’s intended to be an adjunct to metformin and/or a sulfonylurea.

The data I’ve seen looks really promising in terms of helping with a reduction in food intake and decreasing fat mass. I also see beta-cell proliferation and neogenesis as a possible mechanism, which alone is interesting.

The glucagon-like peptide-1 which Byetta (exenatide) has similar effects to, is actually in pre-clinical trials for treatment of obesity amongst other things.

In short, it’s a GLP-1 agonist, but seems to have some similar as well as divergent effects compared to GLP-1 itself.