T Nation

For CT: Triple Threat Routine

CT, what would we be a good squat workout to complement your triple threat routine?

bump for CT

Why don't you actually try a workout and asses the results instead of busting the poor guys balls. He told you once he works about 70 hours a week. He isn't your own persoanl consultant.

CT did not lie when he said that this program was potent. After my first workout of the Triple Threat (and really it was just a "double threat" because I didn't feel comfortable doing the heavy negatives due to a prior injury) I didn't want to think about touching a weight for 3 days afterwards. And it wasn't because I was feeling lazy; it was definitely a feeling that my CNS had gotten a shock and needed to recover. The second week was better and I was able to do high pulls and cleans after about 2 days of rest, but no heavy DLs or squats. Week 3 I decided to see what effect 2 weeks of Triple Threat had on my squat, and my squat increased. Bottom line: you could probably get away without squatting on this program.

However, if you feel you must squat, do Triple Threat on your first workout of the week and squats the last workout of the week. I wouldn't do anything tougher than a 5x5. I recall in a prior post that CT advised against doing a Triple Threat-style workout for the squat in addition to DL. Now, if you want to try and do 2 Triple Threats for the DL during the week, which CT's article said you can try to do, I wouldn't even bother with squatting. Just do some lunges and 1-legged squats to give your quads some extra training, although the DL will stress your quads, too, just not as much.

way too much volume, and only for advanced trainees :slightly_smiling:

To what are you referring - the Triple Threat program or my recommendations? CT admitted it was tough, which is why he said do not use it for more than 4 weeks.

I think overtraining is overrated - everyone is so damned worried about it that they don't actually TRAIN.

This is an autoregulating program, so whether or not it's high volume will depend on how well you're doing on a particular day. The sample workout has a trainee going to 12 sets combined of DL and high pulls. That's because the sample trainee was obviously having a good day and was able to increase his rep maxes (3RM, 2RM, and even 1RM). However, the program also states that if you miss a lift, you're done for the day.

I experienced some great results with the plan that carried over to my power clean AND squat.

The program

Well OT is a misused word, overreaching would be the correct term, and I've been there quite a bit msyelf, infact I deliberately induce it :slightly_smiling:

I'm a volume freak (as MTB knows), and work hard as hard on recovery as I do on training.

The key to avoiding true OT is building up work capacity over time. That's why Mike's example is excellent, because he added to his routine as his capacity for recovery increased.

phil, CT already asked you not to bump your posts. After you did again, ou might as well have put "but don't reply" in the thread title.
And like irondoc said, try something, and if it doesn't work, then you know for yourself. The next time you see a program similar to the one that failed you, you'll know what to expect. You'll be a smarter person for it.
I'm sorry if I sound angry but you did the exact same thing with me and it's annoying.

Rick uses Triple Threat as a warm up.

Phil - Dude, sounds like you've made some enemies. Obviously CT is the man for this type of info, but as you can see, there are plenty of knowledgeable people around who are willing to help and can offer some knowledge. Common sense goes a long way as well. You know your body's limits and you know how hard a program like Triple Threat can be. Do it, then add squats later in the week. If your squat workout sucked, then you know you're probably not fully recovered from the Threat. One week's worth of overtraining won't kill you. Or do like I did - adjust to the volume of the Threat, then start adding other stuff as you body adjusts to the Threat. Adaptation can be a wonderful thing.