For Athletics: Deadlift or Squat

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
Once an athlete reaches…lets say 2x bodyweight squat for a few reps his lifts should be geared more towards posterior chain.[/quote]

Don’t you think it would be a better idea to balance it through out experience/ability?

Front Squat.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
digitalairair wrote:
Once an athlete reaches…lets say 2x bodyweight squat for a few reps his lifts should be geared more towards posterior chain.

Don’t you think it would be a better idea to balance it through out experience/ability?[/quote]

yea the thing is when an athlete gets to a certain level of strength he tends to accumulate mass in the quads thats when he needs to pay even more attention to the quad/ham balance. I read it in one of kelly articles.

[quote]bruinsdmb wrote:
Front Squat.[/quote]
deep f. squats with low box squats = good combination

Romanian Deadlifts.
Does anyone think 1/2 squats would actually help an athlete?

Maybe my technique was shit, but I don’t ever remembe squating to paralell to drive someone on a block. Pass blocking was close but still.
Wrestling I kind of needed it to stand up with my knees tucked close.
Would crap ROM actually help your performance?

bruinsdmb wrote:
Front Squat.
deep f. squats with low box squats = good combination [/quote]

Yeah if you know how to do/teach them correctly, and are not relying on oly lifts.

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:

Me too. Didn’t Poliquin say that the ability to generate ground force is essential to all sports?
[/quote]

The thing that Poliquin may not understand is that, in many situations, the ability to “generate” ground forces is less important than the ability to “return” ground forces. In other words, ground forces are often more a product of gravity than muscular contraction.

[quote]Taquito wrote:
Romanian Deadlifts.
Does anyone think 1/2 squats would actually help an athlete?

Maybe my technique was shit, but I don’t ever remembe squating to paralell to drive someone on a block. Pass blocking was close but still.
Wrestling I kind of needed it to stand up with my knees tucked close.
Would crap ROM actually help your performance?[/quote]

Increasing strength at the least advantageous point of a squat should yield strength gains at every other leverage point. But it doesn’t work the other way around.

So squatting with a full ROM would increase your strength when blocking, even though the ROM while blocking is much smaller.

Both! To say one is better than the other is almost crazy. Your try to compare (arguably) the two most beneficial lifts you can perform. There are variations of the both deads and squats that can be done as well. In college we cycled our workouts. We would change our core lifts every three to four week. We did both squats and deads (and variants of) at different times of the year. They both make you stronger, bigger, faster, and can give you a better vertical. To say one is better than the other is arbitrary.

j

[quote]Roy wrote:
Depends on the sport.

A scrawney MMA bruce lee wannabe kinda guy who likes to wrestle with naked men would probably benafit more from the deadlift. And being bent over with a shaft in his hands would give him some added benafit.

While an explosive football player, or sprinter, would probably want to stick to the squat.[/quote]

One of your funnier wiseass comments.

What about the Olympic lifts? Is it better to establish a strength base first (2x bodyweight squat/deadlift) or get right into them?

[quote]nike1800 wrote:
What about the Olympic lifts? Is it better to establish a strength base first (2x bodyweight squat/deadlift) or get right into them?[/quote]

leave the olympic lifts to olympic lifters

nike1800 wrote:
What about the Olympic lifts? Is it better to establish a strength base first (2x bodyweight squat/deadlift) or get right into them?

leave the olympic lifts to olympic lifters[/quote]

one thing both the squat and deadlift don’t do is allow athletes to develop coordinated strength through triple extension of the ankle, knee and hip. Thats where Olympic lifts can help - while full olympic lifts have little place in most athletes programs, high pulls, jump shrugs, snatch throws (like a snatch but instead of catch you throw it backwards over your head) power cleans and the like are excellent ways of devloping explosive power.

I’d say keep it simple, squat or deadlift, jump or sprint, done…

[quote]arnoud verschoor wrote:
I’d say keep it simple, squat or deadlift, jump or sprint, done…[/quote]

well said

I would defenitly go with the snatch grip deadlift, crazy exercise, you feel it everywhere.

[quote]PHGN wrote:
I would defenitly go with the snatch grip deadlift, crazy exercise, you feel it everywhere.[/quote]

single leg squat. wide split , back leg on a bench. this hits your high hammies and gluets. its like sprinting in the rack. it builds stabilizers and great proprio. it also conditions due to longer sets. this is the best core leg exercise for anyone who has to run. thoughts? i agree with front squat second.

[quote]mike30 wrote:
PHGN wrote:
I would defenitly go with the snatch grip deadlift, crazy exercise, you feel it everywhere.

single leg squat. wide split , back leg on a bench. this hits your high hammies and gluets. its like sprinting in the rack. it builds stabilizers and great proprio. it also conditions due to longer sets. this is the best core leg exercise for anyone who has to run. thoughts? i agree with front squat second. [/quote]

hang clean / jump squat for explosion

[quote]mike30 wrote:
PHGN wrote:

single leg squat. wide split , back leg on a bench. this hits your high hammies and gluets. its like sprinting in the rack. it builds stabilizers and great proprio. it also conditions due to longer sets. this is the best core leg exercise for anyone who has to run. thoughts? i agree with front squat second. [/quote]

I currently do 4x8 bulgarin splits squats on tues and full squats 5x5 on sat. I have noticed that with just doing this not only have my squat gotten much better much quicker but I feel, without having sprinted one bit, that i’ve got the old speed and vert I used to have. Bulgarian squats are a great exercise. And aesthetically…from the side I have a deop hamstring sweep.

[quote]DarrylLicke wrote:
mike30 wrote:
PHGN wrote:

single leg squat. wide split , back leg on a bench. this hits your high hammies and gluets. its like sprinting in the rack. it builds stabilizers and great proprio. it also conditions due to longer sets. this is the best core leg exercise for anyone who has to run. thoughts? i agree with front squat second.

I currently do 4x8 bulgarin splits squats on tues and full squats 5x5 on sat. I have noticed that with just doing this not only have my squat gotten much better much quicker but I feel, without having sprinted one bit, that i’ve got the old speed and vert I used to have. Bulgarian squats are a great exercise. And aesthetically…from the side I have a deop hamstring sweep.[/quote]

if i may…try higher reps. 3-4 x 15-25. you’ll be amazed at how much weight you can handle for these reps. i bet you’ll do your weights for 8’s for 15’s in no time. it’s like sprinting the 100m. what is that race…45 steps maybe? so 20ish each leg.