T Nation

For Athletics: Deadlift or Squat

If you had to do one which would it be for greatest athletic benefit?

what if you were focusing on increasing your vertical?

I’d go deadlift because of the forearm/grip and upper back stimulus from the lift.

tough one, deadlift is more posterior chain, full squats is more ROM which is a must in most sports.
Deads from a deficit perhaps?

For improvement in your vertical jump I would lean heavily towards the squats, and especially jump squats. You will see huge gains in a short time with these.

[quote]DarrylLicke wrote:

what if you were focusing on increasing your vertical?[/quote]

Both will be better than either one alone.

[quote]ExNole wrote:

Both will be better than either one alone. [/quote]

Wise words.

true, but let’s say (i know, i know, hypothetical)one only had a short time to train.

Overhead squats will make you a beast.

I like the deads on a box answer.

If it were one or the other I’d say the squat would be better.

Ignore Overhead Squats, you can handle much more weight with the normal back squat.

[quote]chicanerous wrote:
I like the deads on a box answer.[/quote]

Me too. Didn’t Poliquin say that the ability to generate ground force is essential to all sports?

Plus don’t deadlifts cause superior hammy recruitment compared to the squat?

wasn’t there an article about the snatch grip dead and how its the exercise to build mass quickly for a athlete?

Depends on the sport.

A scrawney MMA bruce lee wannabe kinda guy who likes to wrestle with naked men would probably benafit more from the deadlift. And being bent over with a shaft in his hands would give him some added benafit.

While an explosive football player, or sprinter, would probably want to stick to the squat.

Shrug bar deadlift gets many of the benefits of both. Works the quads more than regular deadlift, is easier on the lower back (and therefore can be done more often at high intensity), but still gives the upper body a lot more to do than squats.

[quote]Roy wrote:
Depends on the sport.

A scrawney MMA bruce lee wannabe kinda guy who likes to wrestle with naked men would probably benafit more from the deadlift. And being bent over with a shaft in his hands would give him some added benafit.

While an explosive football player, or sprinter, would probably want to stick to the squat.[/quote]

What!?!?

Snatch Grip Defecit Deadlifts

[quote]That One Guy wrote:

What!?!?[/quote]

That’s what I was thinking

Depends on the athletic endeavor. For vertical jump and acceleration, I’d say the squat. For absolute speed, I’d say the DL.

again depends on the individual, their current training stage, current weaknesses, ect. theres no one magic exercise that will cure everything. What works for athlete A might hurt athlete B. What increased athlete A’s vertical from 30 to 35 might not be the same exercise that will get him from 35 to 38.

A lot of people focuse to much on squats and neglate balance of posterior chain and end up using their quads too much and therefore create knee problems. Once an athlete reaches…lets say 2x bodyweight squat for a few reps his lifts should be geared more towards posterior chain.

Who cares, both are good so do both.