For All You Strat Players Out There

Alright, now that I know there are a good number of guitar players on this forum I figured I should post this question.

I am currently without an electric and have been primarily playing acoustic for the past 6 months(financial issues prompted the pawning of my beloved les paul). I am now researching getting a strat since i’m primarily a blues player and have a few questions for anyone out there with any experience with them.

I am trying to figure out if I should just go with a mexican strat now or wait a while and save the money for the american version. For anyone thats had experience in this: How much of a difference is there in the playability between the two? Also is there THAT much of a difference in tone(and can it simply be fixed with new pickups)? Resale value does really matter to much to me as I plan on keeping this for a while…

Thanks in advance for any help with this.

Mexican strats are just as good as American strats as long as you take some time and play before you buy. Some things to look for: Make sure the trem is the two post variety (not the kind thats mounted on 6 screws, they suck and Eddie Van Halen refuses to reveal the secret of keeping it in tune…the only other player im aware of who has been able to use them is Hendrix and hes dead :slight_smile:

Also, make sure the pickups dont make too much noise (all single coils will buzz a little at high gain, nature of the beast) and the jack isn’t loose (easily remedied), no fret buzz , straight neck, nut, tuners etc.

The thing about strats is that their production quality has really gone to shit over the last 2 decades simply due to their mass production model. The positive to this is that you’re just as likely to find great mexican or korean models as you are a crappy american model. I play les-pauls and an ESP now (need humbuckers for metal), but played a mexican strat for a while and loved it.

Just take the time to play it before you buy it and spend some time setting it up properly for your style (or have a pro do it, wont cost much and youll still save bundles over what you’d pay for an American model).

The bottom line is that what you are paying for in buying an American model is increased costs that the company incurs by assembling the models in America. All the parts are made in Asia and shipped to either Mexico or America for assembly, so its really just a difference in labor costs incurred by the manufacturer.

Buy a real guitar!

Hehe, just kidding folks! But real men do play Les Pauls. :wink:

Thanks, ill probably just head down to guitar center sometime and try out as many as I can and then later on take it to someone and get it set up the way I want if im not happy. I am in serious withdrawal from not having an electric and cant wait to get another.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Buy a real guitar!

Hehe, just kidding folks! But real men do play Les Pauls. ;)[/quote]

Haha I do miss my paul and will own another one someday, but right now I want to go with a single coil setup… I have to say I have yet to play something as sweet sounding as a 59 les paul through a 65 twin reverb… well except maybe that vintage 58 through a mesa boogie half stack… god I wish I was rich…

If you ain’t hollow body, you ain’t sheet.
:slight_smile:
<------------

Just messin’. But I love my Gretsch.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:

Buy a real guitar!

Hehe, just kidding folks! But real men do play Les Pauls. ;)[/quote]

[quote]Swimmer wrote:
Mexican strats are just as good as American strats as long as you take some time and play before you buy. Some things to look for: Make sure the trem is the two post variety (not the kind thats mounted on 6 screws, they suck and Eddie Van Halen refuses to reveal the secret of keeping it in tune…the only other player im aware of who has been able to use them is Hendrix and hes dead :slight_smile:

Also, make sure the pickups dont make too much noise (all single coils will buzz a little at high gain, nature of the beast) and the jack isn’t loose (easily remedied), no fret buzz , straight neck, nut, tuners etc.

The thing about strats is that their production quality has really gone to shit over the last 2 decades simply due to their mass production model. The positive to this is that you’re just as likely to find great mexican or korean models as you are a crappy american model. I play les-pauls and an ESP now (need humbuckers for metal), but played a mexican strat for a while and loved it.

Just take the time to play it before you buy it and spend some time setting it up properly for your style (or have a pro do it, wont cost much and youll still save bundles over what you’d pay for an American model).

The bottom line is that what you are paying for in buying an American model is increased costs that the company incurs by assembling the models in America. All the parts are made in Asia and shipped to either Mexico or America for assembly, so its really just a difference in labor costs incurred by the manufacturer.[/quote]

i agree with this. you can get good mexican strats but you HAVE to play them to find them. one thing that seems to be a problem though is shitty electronics. not the pickups but the wiring. i have a mexican strat which plays every bit as good as any current u.s strat i’ve played but the wiring crapped out after about 6 months.

i kept the stock pickups and had it completely rewired and completely shielded with copper and it sounds a ton better. alot more punch and depth and i don’t know how to explain it but the better sound somehow makes the instrument physically feel more solid when playing. the guy who did the job said he rewires alot of mexican strats.

[quote]
i agree with this. you can get good mexican strats but you HAVE to play them to find them. one thing that seems to be a problem though is shitty electronics. not the pickups but the wiring. i have a mexican strat which plays every bit as good as any current u.s strat i’ve played but the wiring crapped out after about 6 months.

i kept the stock pickups and had it completely rewired and completely shielded with copper and it sounds a ton better. alot more punch and depth and i don’t know how to explain it but the better sound somehow makes the instrument physically feel more solid when playing. the guy who did the job said he rewires alot of mexican strats.[/quote]

Yeah I think the first thing I am gonna have to do is find someone around here(southern NH, if anyone knows someone let me know) that knows what they are doing with these guitars and tell them how I want it setup… even with it being rewired, with new pickups and pots im looking at a lot less money then an american which could still end up having problems… oh and has anyone had any experience with www.edromanguitars.com?

[quote]oh and has anyone had any experience with www.edromanguitars.com?
[/quote]

Run don’t walk away from Ed Roman. He has probably the most impressive inventory on the planet but he, and his staff, are complete assholes and his guitars are usually quite overpriced.

[quote]BackForMore wrote:
oh and has anyone had any experience with www.edromanguitars.com?

Run don’t walk away from Ed Roman. He has probably the most impressive inventory on the planet but he, and his staff, are complete assholes and his guitars are usually quite overpriced.

[/quote]

I have no direct experience with Ed Roman, but the reviewers on Harmony Central.com have generally ripped him.

As for Strats - I would consider looking at a G&L Legacy. I picked up a used cherryburst one for $575.00. It is easily the equal of any Strat I’ve ever played. They also sell a Korean made “tribute” line. Mine’s American made, and really, it’s fantastic. G&L is the company Leo Fender founded after he left MusicMan and after his noncompete agreement with CBS expired. And hey, anybody playin’ the blues is alright by me. Good luck.

Yeah he seems pretty arrogant… ill stay away… as far as G&L’s go do you know of any places online that carry them?

Once again guys thanks for all the input…

A guitar isn’t like anything else. Each one will be different. It is funny how you can play one and it be completely different from an identical model.

Muscian’s Friend has a good return policy.

I own an American Strat, and for a strat, I love it.

I want a Les Paul. I have one getting made for me as we speak. :slight_smile:

[quote]chewie wrote:

A guitar isn’t like anything else. Each one will be different. It is funny how you can play one and it be completely different from an identical model.

Muscian’s Friend has a good return policy.

I own an American Strat, and for a strat, I love it.

I want a Les Paul. I have one getting made for me as we speak. :)[/quote]

Yeah, theres a smaller shop up the street from my job that seems pretty mom and popish… which is great since they will most likely have a good amount of experience… just found out they carry fender and G&L so ill have to stop by soon and try them all out…

[quote]MikeyKBiatch wrote:

I have no direct experience with Ed Roman, but the reviewers on Harmony Central.com have generally ripped him.

As for Strats - I would consider looking at a G&L Legacy. I picked up a used cherryburst one for $575.00. It is easily the equal of any Strat I’ve ever played. They also sell a Korean made “tribute” line. Mine’s American made, and really, it’s fantastic. G&L is the company Leo Fender founded after he left MusicMan and after his noncompete agreement with CBS expired. And hey, anybody playin’ the blues is alright by me. Good luck.

Yeah he seems pretty arrogant… ill stay away… as far as G&L’s go do you know of any places online that carry them?

Once again guys thanks for all the input…[/quote]

I bought mine on ebay, but you can try gbase.com. Both will have a selection of new and used ones. I checked ebay, and there were a couple used ones in the 500-1000 range. New ones are up over 1000. If you’re patient, you can get a super USA made one under 650.

OOOOH I like this one . . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-Legacy-3-Bolt-Cherry-Burst-Tone-Dog-Bastard-Child_W0QQitemZ200073597851QQihZ010QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Like mine, only mine has a black pickguard. And mine’s a little newer.

[quote]Skuebb wrote:
OOOOH I like this one . . . .

http://cgi.ebay.com/G-L-Legacy-3-Bolt-Cherry-Burst-Tone-Dog-Bastard-Child_W0QQitemZ200073597851QQihZ010QQcategoryZ2384QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Like mine, only mine has a black pickguard. And mine’s a little newer.[/quote]

beautiful guitar… I think that is the model I will end up going with… it will take a few months of saving but I figure its something I love so I might as well get what I want… also anyone have any experience with Orange amps? I have been researching on some review sites(such as harmony-central) and the Tiny Terror sounds like a kick ass little amp for a not too bad price.