For All the Teachers

A good chuckle…and how dare you demand a living wage!!

"The Teacher Applicant

The Teacher Applicant After being interviewed by the school administration, the teaching prospect said, "Let me see if I’ve got this right:

"You want me to go into that room with all those kids, correct their disruptive behavior, observe them for signs of abuse, monitor their dress habits, censor their T-shirt messages, and instill in them a love for learning.

"You want me to check their backpacks for weapons, wage war on drugs and sexually transmitted diseases, and raise their sense of self esteem and personal pride.

"You want me to teach them patriotism and good citizenship, sportsmanship and fair play, and how to register to vote, balance a checkbook, and apply for a job.

"You want me to check their heads for lice, recognize signs of antisocial behavior, and make sure that they all pass the state exams.

"You want me to provide them with an equal education regardless of their handicaps, and communicate regularly with their parents by letter, telephone, newsletter, and report card.

"You want me to do all this with a piece of chalk, a blackboard, a bulletin board, a few books, a big smile, and a starting salary that qualifies me for food stamps.

"You want me to do all this and then you tell me…

“I CAN’T PRAY?”

The USA is 25th in industrial nations for % of GDP devoted to education too. Does it show?

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
The USA is 25th in industrial nations for % of GDP devoted to education too. Does it show?
[/quote]

Computers in every classroom, sometimes enough in the school for every student, more administration than ever, ESL classes for any body that struggles with english, free daycare (cleverly disguised as preschool) for “at-risk” students, and free education in general for illegals?

Yes, it shows.

EDIT: I read that quote wrong, but I stand by my point that the money is there, it is just spent in all the wrong places.

It shows more in how that money is spent. A good basic education isn’t just about throwing money at the same broken system. Let’s face it, raising smart citizens capable of critical thinking and good judgement is obviously not a priority.

Watts wrong? my teachers learned me reel good.day say i Reeds and right profishanel!

While I can’t relate to some of the issues in your post, I am convinced that there is an utter disregard for any type of critical thinking. Too much regurgitation and not enough thinking for oneself.

But talk is cheap when it comes to getting things done in the school system. Luckily the school that I’m at right now has a new policy of instruction that implements metacognition and critical-thinking in each students learning. Some kids nowadays are so coddled by their parents that they lack the ability to take action for themselves when it comes to learning, or even something as simple as applying for a part-time job.

[quote]ab_power wrote:
While I can’t relate to some of the issues in your post, I am convinced that there is an utter disregard for any type of critical thinking. Too much regurgitation and not enough thinking for oneself.

But talk is cheap when it comes to getting things done in the school system. Luckily the school that I’m at right now has a new policy of instruction that implements metacognition and critical-thinking in each students learning. Some kids nowadays are so coddled by their parents that they lack the ability to take action for themselves when it comes to learning, or even something as simple as applying for a part-time job.

[/quote]

Yep. One of my teachers (I’m dept head) has a class of freshman who can’t solve problems like ‘n + 2 = 9’. What do you do with kids like that? One kid got a ‘zero’ on a test of 20 problems like the one above.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
ab_power wrote:

Yep. One of my teachers (I’m dept head) has a class of freshman who can’t solve problems like ‘n + 2 = 9’. What do you do with kids like that? One kid got a ‘zero’ on a test of 20 problems like the one above.
[/quote]

Put him in a class with all the smart kids and teach them the exact same subject matter all year. Whatever you do, don’t ever let the dumb kid fall behind.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Yep. One of my teachers (I’m dept head) has a class of freshman who can’t solve problems like ‘n + 2 = 9’. What do you do with kids like that?[/quote]

You elect them as your president. Obviously.

double post argh

You know there is something wrong when a Senior in high school thinks buffalo wings are gross,they come from buffalo and the negative effects of smoking are a myth.She also got pregnant the year before.

very true.

except my Account Teacher says she prays for us all the time… but covers it up by saying she doesnt care if you fail

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
ab_power wrote:

[/quote]

I look at each kids previous math marks, if they are a freshman new in highschool, and place them in the appropriate class. Under 65 gets booted to applied math (where they can then work their way up), 65-75 are closely watched the whole year, and 75 or more are usually successful (in pure mathematics). I kick the under 65 kids out because they would get murdered in the pure math stream, and it would cause more harm than good.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
ab_power wrote:

[/quote]

Are you serious? Someone sucks ass at teaching. I’m sorry, but that shit isn’t hard to teach.

Otherwise? I’d drop the kids out of math and put them in a tech class. Teach them to keep a budget and live, and then help em get jobs. They don’t need math, or history, they need life skills.

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
Headhunter wrote:
ab_power wrote:

Are you serious? Someone sucks ass at teaching. I’m sorry, but that shit isn’t hard to teach.

Otherwise? I’d drop the kids out of math and put them in a tech class. Teach them to keep a budget and live, and then help em get jobs. They don’t need math, or history, they need life skills.
[/quote]

Evryone has to have 4 years of math at our school. Being a college prep school, everyone starts at Algebra I minimum.
With the bad economy here, we’re having to admit students who are weak but have $$$$. Sad, but a fact of life.