Footwear for Strongman

Hey guys,

I was wondering if some of the more experienced Strongmen could offer up some advice on footwear they use to train with and compete with. My flat-bottom shoes that I have been using for about 5 years are finally too dangerous to actually lift with, and I need to buy some new sneaks.

In the powerlifting forum I saw that Vibram Five Fingers were getting a good rep as well as the classic Chucks. Any other suggestions? Or any advice on which Vibram or Chuck to get?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

-DTC

I wear the Vibram Five Fingers KSO and Chucks. But I’m mostly posting so I can subscribe and see what more experienced guys like to wear (I’ve only done 2 contests so far) I see some guys wearing a hiking boot type shoe for everything and when watching the WSM this year on TV, I noticed some of the guys were wearing what looked like regular cross trainers. I’ve even read that some people like to wear boots with a taller heel for stones.

J

So far I rock Chucks, barefoot, and some climbing shoes

Chucks for non-moving events. For moving events Saucony because they’re a nice sneaker that provides support and is good to run with, but isn’t to squishy that it absorbs my force or slows me down. Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
… Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams. [/quote]

i would not agree with that.
Chucks and/or Vibram 5s are all you’ll need really. Remember that in strongman running events hardly means any real running, more like quick walking with heavy load.

On that note, make sure they aren’t very wide. I foudn out the hard way. I was wearing BBall shoes when I did some farmers in a competition. I ended up clipping my heel with my other foot and went side stepping across the finish. Might have cost me a second or so, but with more weight in my hands, it could have ended badly…

Thanks guys, I appreciate the advice. I decided to go with vibram KSOs and Chuck Taylors (only $32 for the chucks… not bad).

[quote]sumabeast wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
… Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams. [/quote]

i would not agree with that.
Chucks and/or Vibram 5s are all you’ll need really. Remember that in strongman running events hardly means any real running, more like quick walking with heavy load.[/quote]

I’ve never worn Vibrams, so my opinion here only applies to Chucks. I used to wear Chucks for pretty much all event just because of how stable I felt, but as I’ve gotten stronger, I’ve changed my opinion of Chucks on moving events.

I now wear just an everyday tennis shoe/running shoe/cross trainer for events like farmers and yoke. I feel like my feet move faster and more smoothly with with these shoes as opposed to a “plop” with each step of the Chucks and their flat sole.

Granted, we’re likely only talking about fractions of a second here, but those fractions can be meaningful.

olympic shoes for pressing and stones, socks/vibrams for deadlifting, A flat bottomed hard skate type shoe for mobile events like farmers walks, rock climbing shoes for truck pulls.

I have owned a pair of five fingers for about two years and love the things for many uses. But I really don’t think five fingers would be a good all around shoe for strongman. Put a 600lb yoke on your back and walk in essentially barefeet over usually a parking lot that has bits of gravel and stuff on it I don’t think would feel very good… Or dropped a 250lb keg or stone on them.

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Or dropped a 250lb keg or stone on them.[/quote]

well, chucks and cross trainers wouldnt exactly protect your feet if you were that stupid to actually drop somethign directly on them tho

I would like to try the vibrams.

I use oly shoes for overhead/stones

rock climbers for a pull or drag

Chucks for pretty much everything else. Would like to play around with some diff shoes on yoke however

[quote]malonetd wrote:

[quote]sumabeast wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
… Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams. [/quote]

i would not agree with that.
Chucks and/or Vibram 5s are all you’ll need really. Remember that in strongman running events hardly means any real running, more like quick walking with heavy load.[/quote]

I’ve never worn Vibrams, so my opinion here only applies to Chucks. I used to wear Chucks for pretty much all event just because of how stable I felt, but as I’ve gotten stronger, I’ve changed my opinion of Chucks on moving events.

I now wear just an everyday tennis shoe/running shoe/cross trainer for events like farmers and yoke. I feel like my feet move faster and more smoothly with with these shoes as opposed to a “plop” with each step of the Chucks and their flat sole.

Granted, we’re likely only talking about fractions of a second here, but those fractions can be meaningful.[/quote]

Just look at The Arnold 2010, WSM, or any other huge competition and most of the guys aren’t wearing vibrams for their running events. They usually wear a hybrid shoe that you can run in. Vibrams might end really poorly if you have 800+ on your back.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Or dropped a 250lb keg or stone on them.[/quote]

well, chucks and cross trainers wouldnt exactly protect your feet if you were that stupid to actually drop somethign directly on them tho[/quote]

No… I don’t think people usually do that stuff on purpose. I still think out of those choices for foot protection vibrams would be the worst. Have you done a yoke walk or farmers in vibrams? Just curious.

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:

[quote]malonetd wrote:

[quote]sumabeast wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
… Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams. [/quote]

i would not agree with that.
Chucks and/or Vibram 5s are all you’ll need really. Remember that in strongman running events hardly means any real running, more like quick walking with heavy load.[/quote]

I’ve never worn Vibrams, so my opinion here only applies to Chucks. I used to wear Chucks for pretty much all event just because of how stable I felt, but as I’ve gotten stronger, I’ve changed my opinion of Chucks on moving events.

I now wear just an everyday tennis shoe/running shoe/cross trainer for events like farmers and yoke. I feel like my feet move faster and more smoothly with with these shoes as opposed to a “plop” with each step of the Chucks and their flat sole.

Granted, we’re likely only talking about fractions of a second here, but those fractions can be meaningful.[/quote]

Just look at The Arnold 2010, WSM, or any other huge competition and most of the guys aren’t wearing vibrams for their running events. They usually wear a hybrid shoe that you can run in. Vibrams might end really poorly if you have 800+ on your back.
[/quote]

coincidentally enough…

On the general topic - I did my yoke work this weekend in my basketball sneakers with my orthotics in. My times were faster (although who knows, coulda just been one of those days) but I think the biggest difference I noticed is that my chucks are getting a old and beat up/worn thru in certain places. I’m gonna continue with the basketball sneakers experiment, but may also purchase a pair of new skateboarding sneakers - I’ve heard good things about them. It could be the shoes, it could just be the fact that they are (relatively) new, or i could’ve just been having a good day.

[quote]Kalle wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Or dropped a 250lb keg or stone on them.[/quote]

well, chucks and cross trainers wouldnt exactly protect your feet if you were that stupid to actually drop somethign directly on them tho[/quote]

No… I don’t think people usually do that stuff on purpose. I still think out of those choices for foot protection vibrams would be the worst. Have you done a yoke walk or farmers in vibrams? Just curious. [/quote]

I’ve done conan’s barefoot, no yoke or farmers yet tho. I’ve heard a lot of good things about vibrams, and would like to get them, but no first-hand experience as of yet. I think they’d be more comfortable on my morning walk to the train. I dont think the vibrams would particularly protect you, but I dont think anything short of steel-toed boots would do any good.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:

[quote]malonetd wrote:

[quote]sumabeast wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
… Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams. [/quote]

i would not agree with that.
Chucks and/or Vibram 5s are all you’ll need really. Remember that in strongman running events hardly means any real running, more like quick walking with heavy load.[/quote]

I’ve never worn Vibrams, so my opinion here only applies to Chucks. I used to wear Chucks for pretty much all event just because of how stable I felt, but as I’ve gotten stronger, I’ve changed my opinion of Chucks on moving events.

I now wear just an everyday tennis shoe/running shoe/cross trainer for events like farmers and yoke. I feel like my feet move faster and more smoothly with with these shoes as opposed to a “plop” with each step of the Chucks and their flat sole.

Granted, we’re likely only talking about fractions of a second here, but those fractions can be meaningful.[/quote]

Just look at The Arnold 2010, WSM, or any other huge competition and most of the guys aren’t wearing vibrams for their running events. They usually wear a hybrid shoe that you can run in. Vibrams might end really poorly if you have 800+ on your back.
[/quote]

coincidentally enough…

I raise you:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
On the general topic - I did my yoke work this weekend in my basketball sneakers with my orthotics in. My times were faster (although who knows, coulda just been one of those days) but I think the biggest difference I noticed is that my chucks are getting a old and beat up/worn thru in certain places. I’m gonna continue with the basketball sneakers experiment, but may also purchase a pair of new skateboarding sneakers - I’ve heard good things about them. It could be the shoes, it could just be the fact that they are (relatively) new, or i could’ve just been having a good day.

[quote]Kalle wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]Kalle wrote:
Or dropped a 250lb keg or stone on them.[/quote]

well, chucks and cross trainers wouldnt exactly protect your feet if you were that stupid to actually drop somethign directly on them tho[/quote]

No… I don’t think people usually do that stuff on purpose. I still think out of those choices for foot protection vibrams would be the worst. Have you done a yoke walk or farmers in vibrams? Just curious. [/quote]

I’ve done conan’s barefoot, no yoke or farmers yet tho. I’ve heard a lot of good things about vibrams, and would like to get them, but no first-hand experience as of yet. I think they’d be more comfortable on my morning walk to the train. I dont think the vibrams would particularly protect you, but I dont think anything short of steel-toed boots would do any good.[/quote]

I wear a sort of skate shoe for yoke, farmers and they work well, I like that that are flat and have rigid sole.

I have a pair of vibrams, I like the things, wore them all weekend. Just not sure how I would feel doing mobile events in them, I squat in them sometimes but olympic shoes seem to work best for me on the squat. I might try them out just to see on yoke this weekend. I’d wear the vibrams all the time if I could wear them at work. It is like wearing socks with a bit of padding for your feet. My feet actually get sore wearing them for experienced periods of time if I haven’t worn them in awhile.

Kalle,

For what it’s worth: I tried my Vibrams on some farmers. Never again. I felt horrible trying to carry in those things. (I used to use my Chucks, then went to hiking boots, now I use those Addidas driving shoe things for carry events, they seem to work ok. Been using those for a couple of years now probably.) Think I tried them on yoke too. Just remember that I felt every step trying to carry with them.

I have squatted, pulled, overhead etc in the Vibrams and they felt fine. I don’t use them currently for anything though.

I would not recommend them for carry events, but to each their own.

Mark Sikora

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:

[quote]malonetd wrote:

[quote]sumabeast wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
… Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams. [/quote]

i would not agree with that.
Chucks and/or Vibram 5s are all you’ll need really. Remember that in strongman running events hardly means any real running, more like quick walking with heavy load.[/quote]

I’ve never worn Vibrams, so my opinion here only applies to Chucks. I used to wear Chucks for pretty much all event just because of how stable I felt, but as I’ve gotten stronger, I’ve changed my opinion of Chucks on moving events.

I now wear just an everyday tennis shoe/running shoe/cross trainer for events like farmers and yoke. I feel like my feet move faster and more smoothly with with these shoes as opposed to a “plop” with each step of the Chucks and their flat sole.

Granted, we’re likely only talking about fractions of a second here, but those fractions can be meaningful.[/quote]

Just look at The Arnold 2010, WSM, or any other huge competition and most of the guys aren’t wearing vibrams for their running events. They usually wear a hybrid shoe that you can run in. Vibrams might end really poorly if you have 800+ on your back.
[/quote]

coincidentally enough…

I raise you:

Raise me? I don’t get it. I dont recall anyone on here saying that a cross trainer was BAD. You did seem to think tho, that an 800+ barefoot yoke would end “really poorly.” guess Marshall White doesn’t think so. Derek’s choice of footwear is his own - he hates oly shoes for pressing, but liked using them at the arnold for deadlifting. Are you going to advocate that too?

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:

[quote]KBCThird wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:

[quote]malonetd wrote:

[quote]sumabeast wrote:

[quote]musicma1n1 wrote:
… Very few people do running events in chucks or vibrams. [/quote]

i would not agree with that.
Chucks and/or Vibram 5s are all you’ll need really. Remember that in strongman running events hardly means any real running, more like quick walking with heavy load.[/quote]

I’ve never worn Vibrams, so my opinion here only applies to Chucks. I used to wear Chucks for pretty much all event just because of how stable I felt, but as I’ve gotten stronger, I’ve changed my opinion of Chucks on moving events.

I now wear just an everyday tennis shoe/running shoe/cross trainer for events like farmers and yoke. I feel like my feet move faster and more smoothly with with these shoes as opposed to a “plop” with each step of the Chucks and their flat sole.

Granted, we’re likely only talking about fractions of a second here, but those fractions can be meaningful.[/quote]

Just look at The Arnold 2010, WSM, or any other huge competition and most of the guys aren’t wearing vibrams for their running events. They usually wear a hybrid shoe that you can run in. Vibrams might end really poorly if you have 800+ on your back.
[/quote]

coincidentally enough…

I raise you:

Raise me? I don’t get it. I dont recall anyone on here saying that a cross trainer was BAD. You did seem to think tho, that an 800+ barefoot yoke would end “really poorly.” guess Marshall White doesn’t think so. Derek’s choice of footwear is his own - he hates oly shoes for pressing, but liked using them at the arnold for deadlifting. Are you going to advocate that too?[/quote]

I only meant that very few strongmen I KNOW like to use chucks or vibrams for running events. That’s just what I’ve seen. I may be wrong.