T Nation

Football Training Question

the strength coach at my university who is the strength coach for every sport but football game one of our players a program to get him ready for a pro day. can you guys tell me what you all think b/c i think this program is crazy.
Monday
5x20 leg curl
5x20 squat
5x10 deadlift
2 sets calves

Tuesday
5x5 + 225 rep out one set on bench
60 reps chin ups
4x8 shoulder press
3x10 bicep curl
3x10 tri ext

Friday
20/15/12/10/8/6 squat
12/10/8/6/4 +15 reps bench
4x8 db row
4x8 side raises

[quote]amirando9 wrote:
the strength coach at my university who is the strength coach for every sport but football game one of our players a program to get him ready for a pro day. can you guys tell me what you all think b/c i think this program is crazy.
Monday
5x20 leg curl
5x20 squat
5x10 deadlift
2 sets calves

Tuesday
60 reps chin ups
4x8 shoulder press
3x10 bicep curl
3x10 tri ext

Friday
20/15/12/10/8/6 squat
4x8 db row
4x8 side raises
[/quote]

Not sure how to put this in a “nice way” but maybe there is some confusion with the program the coach is prescribing. Simply the program you noted has virtually nothing to do with training a football player much less then one for his pro day.

If your friend has any questions or wants to discuss more - please ask him to email me. Best of luck.

In faith,

Coach Davies

coach davies,
that is what i wsa thinking when i saw what the strength coach had written down for him to do. he has the basketball, volleyball, and baseball team all doing this same type of training. i don’t understand how a division 1 program can have a stregnth coach who prescribes this sort of training. one of our players told me that his philosophy is to have his stregnth program to get the players into shape for there sport.

That program is ridiculous for any sport and don’t get me started on him prescribing that program or something “similar” to everyone.

leg curls, bicep curls and 20 rep sets of squat. what teh hell? I’ll say this, pro days are coming up relatively soon, at the outside if your school has one in early april you have less than 11 weeks, so no miracles. I’ll say this
-get stronger. who’s gonna rep 225 more times, a guy with a 325 max or a guy with a 425 max

-i havent read rooney and defranco’s 40 yd dash and vert jump books yet (my 40 yd dash book arrives thurs) nor seen defrancos combine video but supposedly theyre pretty good

sorry i can’t be more helpful, but there are some good ideas on this website. if anyhting i’ve said sparks interest, lemme know

[quote]amirando9 wrote:
Monday
5x20 leg curl
5x20 squat
5x10 deadlift
2 sets calves

Tuesday
60 reps chin ups
4x8 shoulder press
3x10 bicep curl
3x10 tri ext

Friday
20/15/12/10/8/6 squat
4x8 db row
4x8 side raises
[/quote]

What’s interesting about this is while it is clearly a terrible program it is not entirely random-- you can see what the strength coach is trying to do, at least sometimes.

For example, the training week leads off with 5x20 leg curls. My guess is that the coach’s rationale went something like this: 40 yd. speed is the most important part of the combine (true), the posterior chain is incredibly important to speed (true), leg curls are the best exercise for the posterior chain (wrong!), you need to do high reps because the sprint has a lot of steps (wrong!)…

So while this is a bad workout we can make ourselves better by analyzing exactly how it’s bad. The strength coach did us all a favor then. I just hope the athlete training for the pro day doesn’t follow it.