T Nation

Football & Soccer This Summer

A favor is needed?Guys, im playing both soccer and football during the summer and have some questions on training / running.

I am working full time 5 days a week this summer with football 3 nights a week and soccer for 1 game a week. As well, 1 or 2 days a week I will be doing in-season training for football to keep all the mass and strength I have been working on since September.

The problem comes as Im not sure how to get myself prepared. Beyond the two different energy systems (Football = anaerobic, soccer = aerobic), how do I prepare my body and muscles to get used to both? I was thinking Interval training fro sprinting but that only gets me in shape, and doesn?t prepare my muscles?

Both start early May and I want to prepare myself. Right now, im doing 2 x a week springing (1 for form and shorter sprints ? 40 yard dash, 1 for 200m and under)?. What adjustments can I make?

Thanks
the_athlete

[quote]the_athlete wrote:
A favor is needed?Guys, im playing both soccer and football during the summer and have some questions on training / running.

I am working full time 5 days a week this summer with football 3 nights a week and soccer for 1 game a week. As well, 1 or 2 days a week I will be doing in-season training for football to keep all the mass and strength I have been working on since September.

The problem comes as Im not sure how to get myself prepared. Beyond the two different energy systems (Football = anaerobic, soccer = aerobic), how do I prepare my body and muscles to get used to both? I was thinking Interval training fro sprinting but that only gets me in shape, and doesn?t prepare my muscles?

Both start early May and I want to prepare myself. Right now, im doing 2 x a week springing (1 for form and shorter sprints ? 40 yard dash, 1 for 200m and under)?. What adjustments can I make?

Thanks
the_athlete[/quote]

Drop the soccer.

From King of the Hill:

"Hank: “Bobby, I didn’t think I’d ever need to tell you this, but I would be a bad parent if I didn’t. Soccer was invented by European ladies to keep them busy while their husbands did the cooking.”
Bobby: “Why do you hate what you don’t understand?”
Hank: “I don’t hate you Bobby!”
Bobby: “I was talking about soccer”
Hank: “Oh yeah, I hate soccer”

While that is a funny quote, it may be a little wayward.

Anyways, to the OP, which positions do you play in both sports? That would help to get the things rolling.

[quote]mj_gk wrote:
While that is a funny quote, it may be a little wayward.

Anyways, to the OP, which positions do you play in both sports? That would help to get the things rolling. [/quote]

Hey.

I play RB in football and central midfield in soccer. I was reading about the muscular system adapting to sports and its going to very difficult and easy at the same time.

In football, a RB has to have short bursts of acceleration. However, I am a BIG special teams player and Im often on the field. Thus, I need to be in shape

For soccer, I play centre midfield and im the type of player that RUNS everywhere, not jogs, RUNS! (i have very very good success with this and its my style)

thanks

for guys who claim to know so much about lifting and conditioning… can anyone help me here

I was hoping to hear you were a forward, or defender, because that’d be an better scenario, but midfielder it is.

You’d be surprised at how much more anerobic soccer is than you think. Cental midfield is aerobic, but I believe you can find a mid of the way training routine to help improve both sports.

All I’m going to recommend is don’t go crazy with aerobic training, as anerobic has a strong carry over in soccer as well. Also, you can have success training both energy systems at once.

What positions do you play? I played FB and soccer in HS, and used soccer every summer to stay in shape for FB in college.

Hey thanks for the responses, I play Running Back

you wanna explain how you did it to ‘stay in shape’

thanks

Even if you’re the kind of central midfielder who runs everywhere, it is still largely anaerobic.

The longest run I use for my soccer players is an 800m, which I do sparingly. Stick to 400’s, you’ll be a beast. Also, don’t overlook the importance of doing a good amount of your running with a ball at your feet. Speed and conditioning are good, but they are worthless if you have to slow down a ton with a ball at your feet. Obviously, if you’re decent, you rarely hold the ball for more than a few touches…but I digress.

good luck and play hard.