T Nation

Football/Lifting Nutrition

I am a sophmore in High school, and I play football. I have been eating around 500 calories less than my maintence according to an app on my phone, however I dont feel like Im eating the way I should be. Lately Ive been feeling very tired and after I eat I feel fine. I lift and do heavy cardio such as jumping rope as fast as I can or doing tabata intervals on a stationary bike

. Im trying to cut down to look better and be faster, and while I have lost weight, and increased strength, I would like to get on a nutrition program, one that when I decide ive cut enough weight I could just raise my calories. Does anyone know any articles or have any advice. any advice would be helpful, since I am new to this website and to nutrition

what position do you play? I can help I’m a junior and I just recently stopped playing football this year to pick up powerlifting

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:
what position do you play? I can help I’m a junior and I just recently stopped playing football this year to pick up powerlifting[/quote]

Why quit football? Those two have good overlap.

[quote]Cardellichio wrote:
. Im trying to cut down to look better and be faster, and while I have lost weight, and increased strength, I would like to get on a nutrition program, one that when I decide ive cut enough weight I could just raise my calories. Does anyone know any articles or have any advice. any advice would be helpful, since I am new to this website and to nutrition[/quote]
Talk to your coach and see where he sees you playing and what abilities would increase your effectiveness at that position. Unless you are a free-safety of receiver I do not see the need to loose weight as the most advantageous thing you can do.

If you get on a training program incorporating speed/agility drills and plyometrics you will have much better results athletically than worrying about 10 extra pounds.

Remember: Force = Mass * Acceleration

I am a sophmore in High school, and I play football. I have been eating around 500 calories less than my maintence according to an app on my phone, however I dont feel like Im eating the way I should be. Lately Ive been feeling very tired and after I eat I feel fine. I lift and do heavy cardio such as jumping rope as fast as I can or doing tabata intervals on a stationary bike

. Im trying to cut down to look better and be faster, and while I have lost weight, and increased strength, I would like to get on a nutrition program, one that when I decide ive cut enough weight I could just raise my calories. Does anyone know any articles or have any advice. any advice would be helpful, since I am new to this website and to nutrition[/quote]

You need to eat a calorie surplus when playing football. With all the practices and lifting, you need to let your body recover thoroughly. Training hard and being young will result in a decrease in body fat. 90% of the time, Bigger= better in football.

What is your current height/weight?

[quote]aspengc8 wrote:

what position do you play? I can help I’m a junior and I just recently stopped playing football this year to pick up powerlifting[/quote]

Why quit football? Those two have good overlap.[/quote]
Never really liked it, I was a starter on all 3 sides but I really like powerlifting.

[quote]aspengc8 wrote:

Never really liked it, I was a starter on all 3 sides but I really like powerlifting.
[/quote]
Lol never heard it as “all 3 sides”

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]aspengc8 wrote:

[/quote]
Lol never heard it as “all 3 sides”[/quote]
offense ,defense, special teams…obviously

Sorry guys Im new here. I am an offensive lineman, but I was a lot chubbier during football, and I have been eating a little less and doing more conditioning, and ive dropped some fat, so I might play d line this year

[quote]RampantBadger wrote:

[/quote]

these are interesting articles, but Im having a hard time grasping the full concept of them, but I will look more into g flux

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

You need to eat a calorie surplus when playing football. With all the practices and lifting, you need to let your body recover thoroughly. Training hard and being young will result in a decrease in body fat. 90% of the time, Bigger= better in football.

What is your current height/weight?[/quote]

I am 5 11 around 200 lbs. I weighed 215 during the season, but I have wanted to lose fat to look better. If I eat a lot of healthy food such as broccoli and lean grilled chicken will and keep training hard will I become leaner?

[quote]chobbs wrote:

[quote]aspengc8 wrote:

[/quote]
Lol never heard it as “all 3 sides”[/quote]
offense ,defense, special teams…obviously[/quote]
Easy killer, save the aggression for the fall…I was just saying i’ve never heard of it said like that lol

haha you’re good, no need for the aggression in the fall, no more football just lifting. And to the OP if you think you’ll play d-line next year, don’t skip these 2 exercises:
med ball push up with the elbows tucked in ( got my initial punch off the ball so much more explosive )
and box squat with a pause ( leg and hip explosion off the ball )

Play football! best memories I made in high school with my best friends that I have!

[quote]chobbs wrote:
Play football! best memories I made in high school with my best friends that I have![/quote]
Nope, my mind was made up a long time ago. I’m cool with the whole team so we got memories and more to come. Powerlifting is the only sport I can say I actually enjoy doing every day, football wasn’t

Where are you from man? You’ll regret not playing!

South Jersey, and trust me I heard that a couple times. But when it was fun at times, I thought of it this way… I can still function and have a daily life after having a torn bicep or herniated disc from lifting. I can’t live normal if I had 5 or 6 KO concussions, especially me playing 3 ways. I love what I’m doing now though. In a year or so I’ll get into some competitions and win them

Read Nutrient Timing by John Ivy and Robert Portman. Most insightful book you’ll ever find about nutrition.

South Jersey, and trust me I heard that a couple times. But when it was fun at times, I thought of it this way… I can still function and have a daily life after having a torn bicep or herniated disc from lifting. I can’t live normal if I had 5 or 6 KO concussions, especially me playing 3 ways. I love what I’m doing now though. In a year or so I’ll get into some competitions and win them[/quote]

Be the aggressor and you’ll give the concussions instead of take them! lol